Tram tracks.

Tonymufc
Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
With the current extension of Manchester's Metro-link trams now going to travel to Ashton, the new tram lines run straight up Ashton New Rd. I've had to learn how to avoid these sunken tracks. the only way to do it, is to ride across them at an angle. However when its wet the back wheel skids across them. (Had a hairy moment last week whilst a bus was behind me). So I've taken to 'bunny hopping' over them. I know there's tram lines in Sheffield, but does anyone else ride over these potentially lethal tracks. If so, is there a better way of riding over them.

Comments

• waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    Last winter I nearly ended up in the river Avon after a similarly hairy moment on the tracks by the docks in Bristol. I think bunny hpping is the way forward if you're bike can take it, wet rubber + wet metal rarely has a happy ending...
    Rules are for fools.
  • ndru
    ndru Posts: 382
    I've got a similar problem, though on a smaller scale, without tram tracks. On North Woolwich Road there is a nice cycle path, the problem is - every gap in it is marked by ribbed tactile, where the ribs are parallel to the path and more or less the size of a 23 road tyre. Every time i get through such a tactile i feel my wheels slipping and the whole rig wobbling. What I am saying is - I feel for you.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Waddlie wrote:
    Last winter I nearly ended up in the river Avon after a similarly hairy moment on the tracks by the docks in Bristol. I think bunny hpping is the way forward if you're bike can take it, wet rubber + wet metal rarely has a happy ending...

+1 - ended up on my arse on the Bristol Quayside, was riushing to get to the rowing club and took my eye off the track, front wheel got caught and down I went on the fixie.... :-(
  • Tonymufc
    Once the work is complete on the tracks I may be able to avoid it a bit better. But a the moment I'm sharing a single lane with all sorts of traffic and most of it wants to try and get past me whilst negotiating the road works at the same time. Its a bit of a nightmare to be honest.
  • Tonymufc
    Getting my wheels caught in the tracks is my worst fear at the moment. The road is mega busy at the best of times let alone with the road works.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Tonymufc wrote:
    . I know there's tram lines in Sheffield, but does anyone else ride over these potentially lethal tracks. If so, is there a better way of riding over them.

Hate the Sheffield ones - took me down second ride on my 700C wheeled bike, forgetting that my 2.1 wide MTB knobblies were immune, but the 25s weren't..... :(
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    Avoid the roads with tram tracks?
    I've managed to avoid any incident with tram tracks in all weather conditions in croydon for the past 10 years.
  • incog24
    incog24 Posts: 549
    PBo wrote:
    Hate the Sheffield ones - took me down second ride on my 700C wheeled bike, forgetting that my 2.1 wide MTB knobblies were immune, but the 25s weren't..... :(

I can sympathise. I lost the front wheel cross them near leopold square(?) and mashed my face into the floor. 7 stiches in my eyebrow later...
    Racing for Fluid Fin Race Team in 2012 - www.fluidfin.co.uk
  • Tonymufc
    incog24 wrote:
    PBo wrote:

I can sympathise. I lost the front wheel cross them near leopold square(?) and mashed my face into the floor. 7 stiches in my eyebrow later...

Sh1t! Might have to find another route. Don't fancy the thought of stitches.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 2,086
    edited August 2010
    I lived and rode my bike in Prague for 12 months. Tram tracks are something you get used to. I did once get my front wheel stuck in the recess and come off in front of a tram, but the driver managed to stop in time :)

Having ridden the czech cobbles and wobbles in snow and ice, the best way to stay upright and alive is to respect the steel. Understand that it's a gripless surface. Do not turn or brake or apply power whilst crossing tracks and you'll be fine. Be aware of them if you must ride parallel or share road space with them. Mostly it's worth staying out of the way of them just to keep out of the way of the trams.

Newton's first law applies.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    incog24 wrote:
    PBo wrote:

Ouch - sory to hear that. I was Ok, bike just cosmetic damage - fortunately the tram following was at a safe distance - driver stopped to check i was OK

......Which was nice....
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Another victim of the sunken railway tracks on the quayside in Brizzle, maybe we ought to petition the council to rip them up. It's not like FGW use them anymore :lol: I touched the rear brake as the rider in front of my slowed to cross the lines and I thought I was clear of them, ended up twisting my knee but kept on riding and rode upto the suspension bridge straight after.
    Ride across at as close to a right angle as possible.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    not come off, but had a few sliding incidents on the newly laid tram tracks in embru....

as above....cross them as perpendicular as you can. don't steer. don't whatever the feck you do lean the bike over.....and don't panic if the back does slide a wee bit....it should really only slide an nch or two before hitting tarmac again and regaining grip.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    letting the back wheel slip a bit is no biggy, if your front slips or gets caught then it's meet the floor time...

just pop a little wheelie and you should be all ok
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Hi,
    +1 for bunnyhopping. I've had a moment on Princes St in Edinburgh when I got the approach angle too shallow.
    Doubly annoying that we have (recently installed) tracks but no trams... No current plans to cater for bikes if & when they do arrive, either... Grr.

Cheers,
    W.
  • Tonymufc
    Its gonna be fun once winter kicks in me thinks.