Seat Stay Bolting Points - For Rack

Wallace1492
Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
Rack broke. Bought new one.

Problem - one side of bike the seat stay insert has broken, managed to get it out.
On other side the bolt tuns and turns and turns. Looks like the insert is loose and is turning inside the frame.

Will take it home and may have to hacksaw the bolt, but that might leave the insert inside the frame.

Question - what to do, and can you buy the threaded inserts to replace the knackered ones. Have tried Google but might be searching on wrong term.

Cheers
"Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"

Comments

• BenS999
    BenS999 Posts: 202
    Not sure if they can be replaced, sounds like it may be threaded. If its knackered you could get some of these

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/tortec/p-clips-ec006759
    2011 Orange Five Pro
    On-One Pompetamine Alfine Comp
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    drill out the thread and bolt straight through
  • Wallace1492
    gbsahne wrote:
    drill out the thread and bolt straight through

No hole on the other side, and don't want to drill one out!!
    Think I will order the "P" rings.... seem best option.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Ok, I was thinking more of the BSO that I'm on, which I'd have no compunction about doing so; already welded a few non-standard bosses on it.

Only problem with the "P" clips is that they might limit the load that can be carried,
  • Wallace1492
    gbsahne wrote:
    Ok, I was thinking more of the BSO that I'm on, which I'd have no compunction about doing so; already welded a few non-standard bosses on it.

Only problem with the "P" clips is that they might limit the load that can be carried,

I try and limit it anyway!! Read some reviews and they seem to suggest that they are fine. Going to get 2 pairs and keep one as spares.
  • P Clips are the way to go - they certainly don't seem to limit load - I've carried a huge amount with them.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    How dare you post a genuine technical question in "chat"?

I refuse to answer....
  • Wallace1492
    PBo wrote:
    How dare you post a genuine technical question in "chat"?

I refuse to answer....

I know, and I apologies.... but just knew that i would get and answer before Wednesday week. To compensate I have posted a completely off topic thread on the Chilean Miners.