worth replacing my forks?

t0pc4t
t0pc4t Posts: 947
edited August 2010 in Commuting general
hi, I have a cube curve 2010 with an SR Suntour suspension fork. I always have the fork locked out when I ride and am thinking of replacing it with a rigid cyclocross forks.

LBS has quotes about £80 - £200 dependant on the fork I go for, I was thinking alloy / cro moly.

My rationale is that the current forks are likely to be pretty heavy being big coil sprung efforts and so I could shed some weight and lose functionality I never use anyway. I'm not a weight weenie but if I don't need to push weight around I won't.

What are people's opinions? Has anyone done this? Are we talking tiny weight differential or would it be worthwhile?

Any opinions welcome
Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6

Comments

• t0pc4t
    forks are 2.4 Kg btw
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • ASHLEYF
    ASHLEYF Posts: 73
    mate get some pace forks from winstanleys, there are other good options like whyte rock solids or the nuke proof ones. I would go for carbon as there are some vibration absorbing qualities as well as the weight. In fact some are heavier than the alu ones. I had some bontraber switch baldes on a stumpjumper that i had before it was stolen. I would have bought other but i got offered the bonty's very cheaply. There are some on ebay cant remember the make but are a copy of whyte or pace and they are good value.
  • t0pc4t
    so worth doing?

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Worth doing, yes. Have a look at the Exotic forks from Carbon Cycles - about 95 quid, carbon, weigh 800g or so and are the same fork you see with many brand names on.
  • t0pc4t
    wicked, thanks Supersonic!

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • ASHLEYF
    ASHLEYF Posts: 73
    the exotic were the brand i was talking about
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    It's an easy job to do yourself, buy them off the t'interweb, fit them yourself and save the money.

If you're in London I have some salsa cromoto rigid forks you can have for £20. They are cromo steel, disc and v mounts, cost me £60.
    I fancy some carbon forks so am getting shot of these.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • t0pc4t
    not London, Bracknell, where are you exactly?

Would I not have to consider replacing the headset as well? Never done forks.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    I'm in SW London, near Wimbledon.

You won't need to replace the headset, you need to get the headset lower crown race off the old forks and onto the new ones, I do this with some lube, a screwdriver, a rubber mallet and a lot of care (the proper tool is pricey).
    Then you need either a star fangled nut or an expanding bung for the top of the steerer tube. The Salsa's may even have a star fangled nut fitted, I'll check when I get home. - edit. nope, no star-fangled nut in the steerer, I'm using an expanding bung that I'll need to keep.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur