Girvan to Stranraer- will I get run down by a lorry?

neil_sheehan2000
neil_sheehan2000 Posts: 529
edited August 2010 in Tour & expedition
Hi all, didn't really know where to put this, doesn't seem like much of an expedition really, but anyway...

I will shortly be heading from Glasgow down Wigtownshire way, to a quite out of the way village 20 miles south of Stranraer. It'll be a Friday afternoon, I'll get a train from Glasgow to Girvan (it's the most convenient route in terms of what trains I can get on), and then cycle the next 50 miles, along the A77 until I hit Stranraer.

Now, I've no problem with the distance, the probable wet weather, or the cycling in the dark, but was just wondering if anyone had done this route along the A77 before? Having driven it before I remember that it's the main route for big lorries heading for the ferry to Ireland. Will a potentially pleasant evening jaunt along the coast be marred by fending off all the mental country drivers, and what are the chances of me getting run over, do you think, by a big lorry?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    If it is anything like the A75 Stranraer to Gretna I would AVOID cycling along it as certain death will be inevitable. Better to be pre-warned in my view.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • Agree - avoid at all costs. Why not just get the train to Stranraer?
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    No, Dilemna, it's not like the A75 - it's much worse. The A75 has heavier traffic than the A77, and it's all going faster, but the road is generally wider and has better visibility. The A77 has poor visibility, is narrow and winding for quite a lot of the distance, and still has the "gotta make the ferry" traffic.
    Apart from that it's a nice road!

Why not stay on the train to Barhill and then go via Glenluce? Nice open hill country back roads.
  • swiss01
    swiss01 Posts: 8
    i'm doing a down the west coast cycle next week and had intended ending up in stranraer but, given what's going to have gone before it, i can't face ending my journey going down that awful road and am going to head down the mull of kintyre instead.
  • rabk
    rabk Posts: 182
    I occasionally cycle down this road

The A77 is not too bad during the day, the average speed cameras installed have helped quite a bit.

Not sure I would cycle it at night time though, perhaps too much of a risk.

The alternative as suggested, through Barrhill to New Luce and Glenluce would be preferable, I cycled these roads a few weeks ago and they are very quiet and in quite good condition mostly.

Once you get to Glenluce then it is easy to head south from there, travel along A75 for a short period before heading off down the B7084 past West Freugh ( I presume you are heading to Drummore)
  • bompington
    swiss01 wrote:
    i'm doing a down the west coast cycle next week and had intended ending up in stranraer but, given what's going to have gone before it, i can't face ending my journey going down that awful road and am going to head down the mull of kintyre instead.
    Shouldn't you be going up the west coast? Prevailing wind, scenery, and it's the right direction for the Bealach...
    Mull to Cape Wrath would be a great trip.
  • Thanks for the responses everyone. To be honest, I would like to just go straight to Stranraer, but the only train I could get wouldn't get there 'til 9pm, and I'd still have 20 miles to ride. However, I can get a train to Girvan that'll drop me off at 5.30pm, and I reckon I can then get to where I'm going by 9-ish. (50 miles in 3 and-a-bit hours seems fairly doable, I think)

Anyway, will avoid the A77 as per your advice. Think the new route will be:

Girvan > Barrhill > Chirmorrie > New Luce >Castle Kennedy > Lochans > Maryport. Google Maps tells me it's mostly along 'unkown road', so I figure the worst thing that'll run me over would be tractor! And it's the same distance.
  • Its pretty much uphill straight out of Girvan if you take that 'unclassified' road....if you go up there as far as Pinwherry, take a right for Colmonell, that'll take you on a nice fairly flat pedal followed by a long downhill to Ballantrae......this cuts out the most dangerous part of the A77 (imho) between Girvan and lendalfoot....but its a big detour for limited time
  • Its pretty much uphill straight out of Girvan if you take that 'unclassified' road...

Hmmm... famous last words here, probably, but by the looks of it my suggested route mostly follows either the railway or rivers (leading to the sea)- can it be that bad? Thanks for the advice wilderbeest, but unless we're talking some fairly alpine territory* I'll stick with the current plan, I think- I've been with my mates when they're driving on the A77 and I'm not sure I really want to chance it at all.

*we're not talking alpine territory, are we!? :(
  • rabk
    Its pretty much uphill straight out of Girvan if you take that 'unclassified' road....

The climb out of girvan is not too bad really, goes on a bit, but not particularly steep with a few flattish areas for a breather.
  • Well, that's that done. Climb out of Girvan wasn't too bad, really. In fact, it would have been a fairly pleasant jaunt if it wasn't for the constant bloody headwind! I mean, I did kind of expect it, but also held out some hope that it wouldn't be too bad.

Anyway, 4 hours it took in the end, to do just over 54 miles (got a bit lost and wound up in Stranraer) with an average speed of 13.4mph. Which is actually a little disappointing, but I suppose I did have a rucksack on, and a big seatpost pack, and that infernal wind to conend with. Still, it all made me realise that I really must give up smoking.

The beers were welcome at the end, I can tell you!
  • bompington
    You did all that for a few beers? respect. I assume you didn't turn round and head home afterwards...
  • ...and I'm doing it again this year!

Except this time I've made the foolish boast that I will cycle al the way from Glasgow. Assuming I want to avoid the A77 at all costs, can anyone tell me if this seems like a sensible route?

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&sourc ... 77%2FA77(M)%2FEglinton+St+to:Shawmoss+Rd+to:B769%2FThornliebank+Rd+to:B769%2FDodside+Rd+to:B769+to:A735%2FTownhead+to:A719+to:55.279115,-4.717941+to:Unknown+road+to:Unknown+road+to:Unknown+road+to:Unknown+road+to:Drummore,+Stranraer&hl=en&geocode=FdCMVAMdyqa-_ynxR0-qMkSISDHU2fS33tq7Lg%3BFeB3VAMdSAO__w%3BFeAYVAMdpvW-_w%3BFdLqUwMddHO-_w%3BFZ6XUwMdWDC-_w%3BFbwBUwMdIVa9_w%3BFdZ_UgMdlrW8_w%3BFSgGUQMdnO-6_w%3BFQC3TwMdgB68_w%3B%3BFVWzRgMdzPy1_w%3BFdZZRQMdqgm2_w%3BFQ5ZRQMdGAq2_w%3BFZRGRQMdjgK2_w%3BFVqDQgMd5k-1_ymRGt2YujRiSDEQCAhuaGLVDA&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=9&sz=11&via=1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13&sll=55.279506,-4.744034&sspn=0.207671,0.441513&ie=UTF8&ll=55.207088,-4.65271&spn=1.664398,5.625&z=8

(I just cannot get this to work as a URL- sorry!)
  • fredmac
    fredmac Posts: 83
    Sorry could not follow your link, but once you get to Girvan the quickest and safest way to Maryport is;

Girvan to Barrhill
    Barhill to New Luce
    Turn right (sign posted for Stranraer) then 5 miles to Castle Kennedy.
    Turn right onto A75 go 1/2 mile and turn left at Insch Church onto single track road.
    Then 3 miles to A716 junction turn left and head for Drummore.
  • Cheers fredmac, that's pretty much the route I took last year. This year I aim to ride all the way from Glasgow; do you reckon I should avoid the A77 at all costs? (i.e. go on other roads from Glasgow to Girvan?)

The more I think about it I reckon I'd probably be alright following the A77 as far as Girvan, but there's no way I'm riding along that coastal bit afterwards!
  • rabk
    To be honest Neil, I have ridden the road south of Girvan several times, and it is no great problem. Have only gone as far as Ballantrae (or to the top of the hill between Ballantrae and Cairnryan)

I f you are competent and confident enough on a bike, I wouldn't be put off from riding it if that is what you want to do.

There are however more scenic routes as previously mentioned :D
  • fredmac
    fredmac Posts: 83
    Going down the A77 is ok and is slightly shorter (1 mile) than going by Barrhill, but you have much more climbing to do.
    From Lenalfoot up that big brae then down to sea level again, then from Ballantrae up Glenapp is another stiff climb. If you go by Barrhill you do have to climb but once you are up you maintain your altitude more or less.

As for cycling from Glasgow you could go by Strathaven/Cumnock etc, then over to Pinwherry missing out Girvan, but there are a few steep bits on these roads so you would need to weigh up the options there.
  • I'm planning on doing this very route to go home to see family in Northern Ireland next week, and just thought I'd thank everyone who contributed to the post! the information is very useful with regard to directions - nightmare roads etc!!
    I'll let you all know how I fare ... am hoping it's not a headwind the whole way (wishful thinking very probably!!).