Montane lightweight waterproof

Ian.B
Ian.B Posts: 732
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
Anyone got a Montane Featherlite Velo H20 (not the basic Featherlite which doesn't claim to tbe water proof, only wind proof) or the Montane Velocity DT (twice the price, twice the weight but still light and packable)? What are they like on a long wet ride?

http://www.montane.co.uk/products/men/shell/featherlite-velo-h2o-jacket/167
http://www.montane.co.uk/products/men/shell/velocity-dt-jacket/246

Comments

• My Velo keeps me dry for approx 45 minutes of fairly heavy rain.

It's starting to seep through the seams at that point, though. If it's a long wet ride, or you know it's going to rain, then I wouldn't use the Velo, I'd use something waterproof.

Now I look at your link, though, this looks different to mine.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    And to mine. I have the featherlite, found it pretty good, though will never keep you perfectly dry due to seepage through the neck. Just keeps the worst of the cold wetness away. I like it.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Ian.B
    Is yours this one - which claims to be windproof but not waterproof?
    http://www.montane.co.uk/products/men/windproof/featherlite-velo-jacket/104
  • Ian.B wrote:

Featherlite Velo - that's the one.
  • Ian.B
    OK, thanks - it's the H20 version I'm thinking of
  • In that case, no idea! I think the h2o version must be relatively new...
  • Wallace1492
    Ian.B wrote:

Featherlite Velo - that's the one.

Think that is mine too, but from last year.
  • iainmoss
    iainmoss Posts: 88
    Ian.B wrote:
    Anyone got a Montane Featherlite Velo H20 (not the basic Featherlite which doesn't claim to tbe water proof, only wind proof) or the Montane Velocity DT (twice the price, twice the weight but still light and packable)? What are they like on a long wet ride?

http://www.montane.co.uk/products/men/shell/featherlite-velo-h2o-jacket/167
    http://www.montane.co.uk/products/men/shell/velocity-dt-jacket/246

Anyone would think your first post wasn't clear! (Meeeeow! :wink: )
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    have you found a source for the velocity if you go for it? it seems to be hard to find....maybe being phased out?
  • Ian.B
    PBo wrote:
    have you found a source for the velocity if you go for it? it seems to be hard to find....maybe being phased out?
    Hmm, no, I haven't got that far yet - was thinking of having a search around this evening. Evans stock the Featherlite windproof, but not the H2O it seems.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    I got a Montane Stormrider jacket a couple of months back.
    It's widely available on special offer (it's discontinued) for approx 100 quid
    It's eVent, cycling specific, very light, breathable and truely water proof

The only thing I don't like about it is the main zip, which is a bit stiff
  • Ian.B
    PBo wrote:
    You are right, they are both hard to find, particularly in hi-vis. I've ordered the DT, from http://www.outdoorkit.co.uk/ but it looks like I got the last one there in large. I noticed Winstanley have a few of the H2O, if you're looking.
  • PBo
    Ian.B wrote:
    PBo wrote:
    You are right, they are both hard to find, particularly in hi-vis. I've ordered the DT, from http://www.outdoorkit.co.uk/ but it looks like I got the last one there in large. I noticed Winstanley have a few of the H2O, if you're looking.

Please let me know how the breathability is once you've tested it out. - truth is I don't have the budget to get something as light and breathable as I want. Currently thinking of going for altura crosslite as a very good modestly priced breathable jacket, but not as easily packable. I run very hot, so i think the breathability factor needs to outdo the lightweight.
  • dcurzon
    dcurzon Posts: 290
    B'Twin Sport 1
    FCN 7 =4, +2(non cycling clothes) +1(beard)
  • paulr69
    paulr69 Posts: 9
    I have the Montane Velo H2O and it's frankly RUBBISH, and I actually emailed Montane today to try and find out if maybe I've got a faulty one (can you have a faultly waterproof jacket?).

To give an example - I rode home from work the other day in the, admittedly heavy, rain. It's a 45 min ride. When I got home my baselayer, under the jacket, was soaking wet. I could literally wring it out.

That's not what I expect from a waterproof jacket.

Montane replied quickly but I'd made a mistake in my original email and I'd said it was a Montane Velo, so they said it isn't meant to be waterproof. When I got home later tonight I checked out the jacket again and realised it is an H2O. I've replied to them so let's see what they say now.

I'm now searching the forums for some advice on a replacement. Saw PBo's post and think I'll follow up on that as my requirements are pretty much identical. Looks like you need to spend a bit more to get something properly waterproof.
  • PBo
    paulr69 wrote:
    I have the Montane Velo H2O and it's frankly RUBBISH, and I actually emailed Montane today to try and find out if maybe I've got a faulty one (can you have a faultly waterproof jacket?).

To give an example - I rode home from work the other day in the, admittedly heavy, rain. It's a 45 min ride. When I got home my baselayer, under the jacket, was soaking wet. I could literally wring it out.

Montane replied quickly but I'd made a mistake in my original email and I'd said it was a Montane Velo, so they said it isn't meant to be waterproof. When I got home later tonight I checked out the jacket again and realised it is an H2O. I've replied to them so let's see what they say now.

I'm now searching the forums for some advice on a replacement. Saw PBo's post and think I'll follow up on that as my requirements are pretty much identical. Looks like you need to spend a bit more to get something properly waterproof.

Was it definitely rain-wet, not sweat-wet? My research suggests that the extra money buys you breathability, more than waterproofness - you can get decent waterproofness at a low price. Some "showerproof" jackets can hold out for 45 mins....

The altura crosslite seems to have the best sub-£100 breathability, so I think I'm going to go for that, even though it's a bit heavier/less packable than I was after. I'm so sweaty, no point in being just as wet from the inside out!!!

eVent garments seem to be technically the best, but unless I spot something in a sale nothing comes in less that £120.

Don't know what size you are/colour you are after but chain reaction have the montane stormrider in blue in some sizes for £100 (not my size) :(
  • Wallace1492
    Mine actually is a H2O and I like it...... good as a lightweight jacket. Got in black, so usually use for MTB. If you are working you still get wet below - it doesn't stop you sweating!!
    It is quite vented, so if you taking it easy, then wont overheat you. It is good to keep the majority of wetness off, but I don't think any lightweight jacket will keep you dry, there is always a tradeoff between that and weight.

Very hard to get what you are looking for.
  • Aguila
    Aguila Posts: 622
    paulr69 wrote:

I have a basic Velo featherlite which I bought after some recommendations on here. It's fine as a windproof but has almost zero water resistance. If it's more than a couple of minutes of drizzle you will get soaked. In rain I used to be able to literally pour water out of the sleeves when waiting at junctions.

I dont use it anymore, the best lightweight jacket by a mile is the rapha stowaway. Yes expensive but it is the closest thing I've ever found to the holy grail of waterproof plus breathable.