Long rides in the rain

mrkwr
mrkwr Posts: 11
A bit of a beginner's question, I know, but what do people wear below the waist for long rides in the rain?

I've got three 100+km rides on consecutive weekends coming up at the end of Sept/early Oct and I'm thinking the chance of no rain on any must be zero. I'm currently thinking shorts plus Rainlegs which has worked OK for me on shorter rides but this combo might get a bit cold later in the year. Is there any point in using waterproof trousers on long rides, and if so which ones would you recommend?

Would be v . interested to know what other people do!

Comments

• bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    kilt, of course
  • What's the point in trying to keep your legs dry?
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    In my experiance, it ultimately doesn't matter, however......

Keeping your feet warm and dry is a different matter.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I shouldn't worry about your legs. Just put a pair of overshoes on to keep your feet warm. That's where you'll feel it if the weather's not so good.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • mrkwr
    mrkwr Posts: 11
    OK, thanks for the advice. I guess I'm probably not so bothered about the wet legs, but not so keen on a wet crotch
  • bam49
    bam49 Posts: 159
    ^^^ if your w/proof jacket is cut right, ie bit longer at the back, you should not get a wet crotch... Best get some neoprene overshoes - eventually the rain will get in to your shoes, but at least your feet will be warm with the neoprene...
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    I wear a cycling specific coat that really is water proof, Gore windstopper tights and my bike has mudguards

The Gore tights bead off some water but are not water proof. But they do dry out very quickly.

The worst case if wearing long tights that aren't water proof is if you climb a hill in the rain, get wet and then have to do the descent sodden

In the summer when it is warm and wet then shorts are better as skin is water proof and breathable
  • BlueScot
    BlueScot Posts: 68
    Even with neoprene overshoes the water can sneak in. That's why I often wear Sealskinz waterproof socks. I suppose leg or knee warmers would offer a little protection if it's wet and a little chilly at that time of year. But, as the others have said, it's your feet you need to worry about!
  • jackp
    jackp Posts: 48
    yeer just the feet to worry about and obviously good pair of gloves-maybe sealskinz ones if its cold aswell,there are a few makes doing waterproof bib tights if its really pissing it down
    :wink: