So OT I should reallly post it elsewhere: Kayaks

lost_in_thought
lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
edited October 2010 in Commuting chat
I want to buy one.

I would like it to have luggage capacity, and be reasonably quick, but the most important thing is comfort - I don't want to have my feet jammed in to a tiny space just to get the footpeg position right.

Ideas? Or what should I be looking out for?

Comments

• Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    I like it when other people buy things that take up lots of space.

It makes me feel much more justified in having a house full of bikes.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,419
    Is this to get home tonight?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    You could look to one of the open sit on type kayaks. There are plenty on the market which also have space for luggage.

With the sit on style you won't have to worry about being squeezed into a small space.
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Perception Carolina :)

Well reviewed, reasonable price and fairly sleek for it's size.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Why would your foot be jammed?

BTW i used to make canoes
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rjsterry wrote:
    Is this to get home tonight?

No, for that I'd need an ark!
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    what are you going to do with it? White water? Coastal touring? Surfing (do quite like the idea of a sit-on-top myself).

n+1 is how many boats you need.

Anyone had any experience of the inflateables you see on ebay and the like? I'd ask over at the canoeing forum but I'm afraid of being flamed and buried in acronyms. CSO? What's that then?
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    matty_doh wrote:
    Perception Carolina :)

Well reviewed, reasonable price and fairly sleek for it's size.

+1 - Perception Canoes rock.

I used to have an "Ace" Europa racing kayak - I believe that "Ace" changed their name to Perception eons ago....but I may be wrong....cannot be ar$sed googling!

My Dad uses Perception canoes for his trawls up and down the river Wye - he is a big fella, so I think they can cater for all sizes and abilities.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    I want to buy one.

I would like it to have luggage capacity, and be reasonably quick, but the most important thing is comfort - I don't want to have my feet jammed in to a tiny space just to get the footpeg position right.

Ideas? Or what should I be looking out for?

A Canoe
  • But I don't want a canoe!

I think mostly river touring, maybe some coastal touring too, and general pootling about. I don't really want something epically massive, just roomy for the legs and feet.

Robson waikiki looks like it might be a good bet to me?
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015

It's not even Carbon Fibre.
  • Rooner
    Rooner Posts: 109
    How about an inflatable? We got a second hand Stearns off a mate, good enough for the sea, plenty good enough for rivers and the such. The bonus is it packs down into something the size of a holdall, so doesn't take up much room in house / garage / car.

Obviously its a bit like a hybrid bike, not for mega serious kayakers but good enough for a pootle
  • will3
    edited August 2010
    But I don't want a canoe!

I think mostly river touring, maybe some coastal touring too, and general pootling about. I don't really want something epically massive, just roomy for the legs and feet.

fine, if you want to go paddling in one of those coffin shaped things, don't blame me
  • will3 wrote:
    But I don't want a canoe!

fine, if you want to go paddling in one of those coffing shaped things, don't blame me

:lol::lol::lol:
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    These were always the dogs when I was paddling. Never used one though, bit like hybrids if you ask me.

http://www.phseakayaks.com/

What you want is a carbon race boat (plastex or nelo) some crud roadracers and a rucksack, ooh hang on I'm getting confused again :wink:
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Rooner wrote:
    How about an inflatable? We got a second hand Stearns off a mate, good enough for the sea, plenty good enough for rivers and the such. The bonus is it packs down into something the size of a holdall, so doesn't take up much room in house / garage / car.

Obviously its a bit like a hybrid bike, not for mega serious kayakers but good enough for a pootle

Well, in all honestly I just don't really trust inflatable things, certainly not enough to rely on them for my and my belongings' buoyancy... well, I can work out my own buoyancy, but my kit can't!

And how do they work with spray-decks/ landing etc?
  • Rooner
    Rooner Posts: 109
    They have a spray deck / splash thing at the front which works fine. As for not trusting them, they are mega-tough, double layered and two chambers. The beauty of them as well is they are extremely stable - first time we took it out (its a two person one), I stood up and jumped in the sea, just to see if I could get back in. And yes, you can, its like hauling yourself out of a swimming pool.

There are compromises, although it has keel skegs, its not a hard bottom like a 'proper' boat, so you lose energy as it doesn't track as well. Also, as its open, it's a bit like a canoe / kayak crossbreed, so you have to adapt your paddling.

Best thing though is if its not going to be a serious new hobby, it takes up so little room to store
  • Well, in all honestly I just don't really trust inflatable things, certainly not enough to rely on them for my and my belongings' buoyancy... well, I can work out my own buoyancy, but my kit can't!

And how do they work with spray-decks/ landing etc?

I bought a Sevylor inflatable this summer, managed to get one for £200 down from about £300. They are very stable and not made out of the same stuff as the things they sell down at the beach, they are tough.

Mine is a canoe, so no spray decks, but it's fine for me and my dog (and I'm about 19 stone).

I would have gone for a proper canoe, but for the space issue. This is a compromise but it's still pretty good IMO.
    '12 CAAD 8 Tiagra
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Feck me the new C1s are narrow! :shock:

3686335307_a28fb7ee1a.jpg

Wouldn't fancy that in a cross wind!
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • will3
    . I don't really want something epically massive, just roomy for the legs and feet.
    :

I can get up, stretch my legs and walk around in my boat.

Just sayin.
    And that's with a weekends camping gear and a wife in it too.
  • will3
    PS plus,, PLUS get this:

I can get a road bike in my canoe.

:lol:
  • @will3 :lol::lol:

Can you get a kayak in your canoe?

I see your point with the inflatables and storage etc, but in all honesty storage really isn't an issue - there's tons of space both at my London pad and the place in Essex.

Oh and my car's 4.8m long, with a roof rack...
  • I thought I had everything I wanted. Now I want a kayak. Bugger this forum! :lol:
  • mkirby
    mkirby Posts: 365
    mine has a sail 8)

http://www.solwaydory.co.uk/?page_id=32

I acctually have an international canoe which has a slidy seat :P
  • mkirby wrote:
    mine has a sail 8)

No ta, already got one of these:

Img214222638.jpg

That I can't sail. Don't need any more sailing boats.
  • mkirby wrote:
    mine has a sail 8)

No ta, already got one of these:

Img214222638.jpg

That I can't sail. Don't need any more sailing boats.

Why is the back end sinking?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Greg66 wrote:

'Cause the front end's off the water.

Boats: Not often articulated.
  • Greg66 wrote:

'Cause the front end's off the water.

Boats: Not often articulated.

Hmm. You sure cause and effect are the right way round?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • will3
    @will3 :lol::lol:

Can you get a kayak in your canoe?

Yes. But if you want it in rather than on, you'd have to take the centre thwart out. 8)