Good wet weather tyres - advice pls

BenS999
BenS999 Posts: 202
edited August 2010 in Commuting general
Hi

My girlfriend has been commuting on my old hardtail for about 6 months now using a set of very slick Kenda tyres (not sure of model) and took a tumble this morning in the lovely rain in London today. The tyres i got from a mate as I didnt want to buy road tyres and then find she gave up commuting after a month, but in my lazyness they have stayed on for pretty much 6 months now.

So can someone please advise me on a set of good wet weather tyres? Im not too fussed about rolling resistance as she hardly leaves the lycra's behind and just takes her time riding into work. What im looking for is something that can handle the wet well, and be very resistant to punctures (saving me heading out to fix punctures)

Had a look at Conti City Contact but without first hand experience it would be a gamble.

Any help very much appreciated,

cheers
2011 Orange Five Pro
On-One Pompetamine Alfine Comp

Comments

• if it's a MTB then a soft compound wide, tire with a low knobs ie a tire for hardpack is your best bet.

something like a raceking/speedking maybe, run a lowish pressures and it should stick to the road.

if you want fairy protection then thats a different tire, I use Marathon Pluses which while have a fairly hard rubber so don't give the max grip in the wet.
  • BenS999
    cheers roger, will take a peek
    2011 Orange Five Pro
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    I have some Conti City Contact for my MTB.

To be honest I've not used them much, but I have used them in the wet and didn't have any problems. I've also used them for messing about the woods, and on a few off-road sections with lots of stones, and came away without any punctures 8)

I would use them in the wet (it's just I use another bikey so don't), but don't know what they are like compared to your current tires...
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700
    Completely slick tyres will actually give you the most grip on wet tarmac on a bike, as there's more rubber in contact with the road. Slicks don't work so well when there's the possibility of aquaplaning, which for a bike there almost certainly isn't (unless you commute at 80mph).
  • BenS999
    thanks for all the info chaps - much appreciated
    2011 Orange Five Pro
  • nich wrote:

I bought these for 15 quid a pop including the inner tubes because they're supposedly GUARANTEED to be puncture proof for 12 months from the date of purchase
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    nich wrote:

I bought these for 15 quid a pop including the inner tubes because they're supposedly GUARANTEED to be puncture proof for 12 months from the date of purchase
    Continental's guarantee is a waste of time. The tyres are prone to punctures, and when you get one you have to take the tyre and tube to the dealer for a replacement. Don't know about you, but when I get a puncture I have to fix it because I am in the middle of a ride - I am not then going waste my time to remove it all and trot down to the lbs to claim my replacement - total waste of time, other than it cons people to believe the tyres are puncture proof!