Winter shopping list - help

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
If possible please could you make suggestions as to what I should get and where from?

Multipack of C02 cartridges
Multipack of innertubes
Race blades

Bright front light

Thank you in advance
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    1. http://www.tyreinflators.co.uk/
    2. How deep are the rims?
    3. Crud Roadracer 2, wherever's cheapest
    4. Budget?
  • I don't use CO2 as I don't see the point.

Inner tubes here

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... ONTTUBE400

Ribble also do a large range of SKS stuff at keen prices. Although I'd get full guards if they'd fit and crud ones if they didn't.

Bright lights from Cateye, loads on wiggle, frequently on offer.

Hope this helps
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    What about Crud Roadracers rather than RaceBlades- coverage is better.
    Inner tubes: Ribble if you want Continental ones (£25.75 for 10, £21.89 if you have £50 or more in your basket). But for sheer price, Bontrager inners £4.99 for three (and 6 for 2 etc) here http://www.cycleworld.co.uk/

Front light: Urban use, the sticks or both?
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    If possible please could you make suggestions as to what I should get and where from?

Multipack of innertubes
    Race blades

Bright front light

Thank you in advance

for front light, your going to struggle with run time, my commute is under 30mins so £50 gets me a Fenix L2D which runs at full for 45mins ish, and lights the way though unlit Royal parks mainly so I don't run into deer! but also is bright enough that traffic clearly notices it.
  • DonDaddyD
    Normally buy either 42 or 51mm valves for my tubes.

Front light: I was thinking of something that has a solid light and pulse light at the same time. No one wants to say £50 or more but I probably will have to.

Ilford isn't exactly dark but the drivers aren't always bike concious.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • stuaff
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Front light: I was thinking of something that has a solid light and pulse light at the same time. No one wants to say £50 or more but I probably will have to.

I assume you mean one light that can do continuous and flashing (AFAIK, no lights can do both)? Pretty much all of them will do that.
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Multipack of innertubes
    Race blades

Bright front light

Thank you in advance

for front light, your going to struggle with run time, my commute is under 30mins so £50 gets me a Fenix L2D which runs at full for 45mins ish, and lights the way though unlit Royal parks mainly so I don't run into deer! but also is bright enough that traffic clearly notices it.

I only need it to flash once I'm back in South London.
    Food Chain number = 4

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I've run with raceblades before (pretty good), crud roadracers (very good but very fragile) and I'm currently on Halfords dlip ons which are the best so far. Just attach to seatstays and fork blades, don't actually pass under the brakes. They look like they shouldn't give full coverage but so far they have.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • DonDaddyD wrote:

a cheap blinky and one of these? http://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/led_torches/fenix_l2t.html

though would need a steady supply of recharged batteries!

mine which is a touch more powerful goes from full to dim to off in very rapid time, so I have blinkies as if i've used it a few times it might and has powered down half way home.

this said for bangs per bucks its not bad at all, though if go that route watch the angle need to dip it down some what!
  • whyamihere
    Lights:

Smart 1W - Stick it on flashing, then just leave it, the batteries will probably last all winter.

Then mount a Fenix LD20 R4 using a Twofish Lockblock, and set it to whichever constant mode you want. Get some 2900 mAh AA batteries from www.vapextech.co.uk and you'll have a fantastic budget commuter light setup. It goes a bit over £50, but it's worth it.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Multipack of innertubes
    Race blades

Bright front light

Thank you in advance

Rather depends on the light and how you use it. I'm sure somone'll be along in a minute to tell you to get a somethingorothrer from hong kong, where apparently they pay you to take their lights away, but FWIW, my Hope 1 will run easily for several hours if you don't run it on max all the time (which would be unnecessay even on unlit roads. When the batteries do expire, it's easy enough to change them since they're only AAs. I believe spare battery packs for other lamps can be got.
  • whyamihere wrote:

I have an SKS Airchamp Pro, the SKS 16gm cartridges are up to £2 a piece. Are these just the same....10 for £5.50?
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere wrote:

I have an SKS Airchamp Pro, the SKS 16gm cartridges are up to £2 a piece. Are these just the same....10 for £5.50?
    Yep.
  • DonDaddyD
    For a light I was thinking of this: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Expos ... 360045231/

Then once in Central London I can switch to my Cat eye until home.
    Food Chain number = 4

• stuaff
    will3 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Multipack of innertubes
    Race blades

Bright front light

Thank you in advance

Rather depends on the light and how you use it. I'm sure somone'll be along in a minute to tell you to get a somethingorothrer from hong kong, where apparently they pay you to take their lights away, but FWIW, my Hope 1 will run easily for several hours if you don't run it on max all the time (which would be unnecessay even on unlit roads. When the batteries do expire, it's easy enough to change them since they're only AAs. I believe spare battery packs for other lamps can be got.

+1 for the Hope. Use good rechargeable AAs and it'll easily handle an all-night ride.
  • whyamihere
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    For a light I was thinking of this: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Expos ... 360045231/

Then once in Central London I can switch to my Cat eye until home.
    CR123 batteries will cost you a fortune compared to AA.
  • whyamihere wrote:
    whyamihere wrote:

Yep.

Superb. OK a fiver for postage but still darn good. Thanks.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    will3 wrote:

Rather depends on the light and how you use it. I'm sure somone'll be along in a minute to tell you to get a somethingorothrer from hong kong, where apparently they pay you to take their lights away

That's me! As said though, it depends what you need it for, illuminating the road or being seen?
    I think the Magicshine is $80 (~£50). It has bright, brighter and flash modes IIRC.

There's probably better out there for side on visibility though.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • DonDaddyD
    Food Chain number = 4

• waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    StuAff wrote:
    will3 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Multipack of innertubes
    Race blades

Bright front light

Thank you in advance

+1 for the Hope. Use good rechargeable AAs and it'll easily handle an all-night ride.

+ another 1 for the Hope. Evans will price match Tredz at £66.95. The blinky is bright for a blinky and I never need more than power setting 2 on constant even when doing 25-30mph down unlit duel carriageway. I also have a very cheap very lightweight blinky on my helmet - thes are great for staring at drivers when they're about to pull out from a side road in front of you. The Topeak Headlux looks pretty funky...
    Rules are for fools.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778

fenix lights are great, I'm sure some people/cars think I'm a motorbike and act more cautiously... I don't even have to make the sound, but don't let that stop you

the battery life on mine is excellent though.. something like 10-15 hours

http://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/led_torches/fenix-tk11-r5.html

some of the better batteries a mount and recharger... probably looking at just shy of £100, but it's an amazing light and you wont get any SMIDSY
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Clever Pun wrote:

fenix lights are great, I'm sure some people/cars think I'm a motorbike and act more cautiously... I don't even have to make the sound, but don't let that stop you

some of the better batteries a mount and recharger... probably looking at just shy of £100, but it's an amazing light and you wont get any SMIDSY
    Interesting. My Single shot is a couple of years old now and not retaining charge very well. As I found out last night. May get replaced...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    JonGinge wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

Interesting. My Single shot is a couple of years old now and not retaining charge very well. As I found out last night. May get replaced...

that and it never points where you want it to go... you've seen my light, I never put it on full beam as when I tried it I couldn't see for a couple of minutes afterwards :lol:

It's a one stop shop... it's all there for you Jon doeeeeetttt
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Clever Pun wrote:

they are also well sealed rode all though winter It's picked been fine, where as I normally loose one or two blinkies to rain, n the winter.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    A Blackburn Quadrant will flash/steady at the same time and has good all-round visibility, although it's not much good for seeing where you're going- at £20 ish it's obviously not in the same league as Vision 1s and Singleshots though:

Quadrant on Bikeradar

I like my Quadrant but will probably invest in something a bit brighter this winter. Exposure have the new Flare/Flash lights out soon, might be worth a look.
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    StuAff wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I assume you mean one light that can do continuous and flashing (AFAIK, no lights can do both)? Pretty much all of them will do that.

The flashing mode on the USE Exposure lights keeps the main beam on then flashes brighter - so there's no off, just bright then brighter. They are, however, very expensive. But I love mine. Good enough for the country road chain gangs in winter, and the flashing mode is more than enough for commuting under sodium lights.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    Yet Another What Lights Thread?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • TommyEss wrote:
    The flashing mode on the USE Exposure lights.

And they make a model called the MaxxDonDaddy...sorted!
  • DonDaddyD
    I still need race blade advice. I'm not completely sold on crud catchers.

Gonna research the Fenix range, it won't be getting dark until the end of September so there's still time.
    Food Chain number = 4

• DonDaddyD wrote:
    Gonna research the Fenix range, it won't be getting dark until the end of September so there's still time.

I have the L2D, if you want to borrow it to try for a few evenings just ask.