Hub Type - Campag

Bunneh
Bunneh Posts: 1,329
edited August 2010 in Workshop
I apologise for what is likely an obvious question.

I recently stripped down the rear hub on my ancient Ribble. The cassette was always loose and I thought I'd have a shufty. Cassette came off no problems, and I wasn't expecting a different type of freehub in relation to its removal (12mm allen key I think down the centre), this was something I hadn't seen before. On finally getting the freehub off, which was heavily worn and cracked, all these little springs fell out and disappeared into the undergrowth... Is this your standard road rear hub?

http://yfrog.com/iyimage046sj

Ta!

Comments

• fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    Bunneh wrote:
    I apologise for what is likely an obvious question.

I recently stripped down the rear hub on my ancient Ribble. The cassette was always loose and I thought I'd have a shufty. Cassette came off no problems, and I wasn't expecting a different type of freehub in relation to its removal (12mm allen key I think down the centre), this was something I hadn't seen before. On finally getting the freehub off, which was heavily worn and cracked, all these little springs fell out and disappeared into the undergrowth... Is this your standard road rear hub?

http://yfrog.com/iyimage046sj

Ta!

pretty standard

unfortunately all those bits that flew out were your pawl springs (and probably the pawls as well)

your hub is useless without them so youll ahe to find or replace them ( 3 of each on campag)

or take it to your LBS
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • There's a little wire tool thingy out there that makes installation of the pawls/springs easy.
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    Okay thanks guys. It's a new thing to me but I know for future reference. I'm contemplating turning the bike into a single speed so I'd need a new back wheel as this wheel's been built for an 8 speed cassette.