Dead MI6 worker...

softlad
softlad Posts: 3,513
edited August 2010 in The bottom bracket
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-11084086

Judging by the pic, the guy may have been a TTer (or maybe it was a hillclimb pic), although I can't make out the letters underneath his numbers....

Either way, he seems to have been a keen rider...

Comments

• nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    He was a cyclist?!?!

I suddenly care about this story!
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Time trialer, very good too.

Gareth was a bit "different" but an academic genius as a youngster.

Met him/spoke about riding quite a few times.

Didn't deserve what happened, poor bugger.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    softlad wrote:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-11084086

Judging by the pic, the guy may have been a TTer (or maybe it was a hillclimb pic), although I can't make out the letters underneath his numbers....

Either way, he seems to have been a keen rider...

The letters are RTTC, so definitely a tester. He's doing a hill climb though, the photo's from here: http://matlock.mybikeclub.co.uk/albums/17-national-hillclimb-2-8

It's a curious case, that's for sure.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Channel5 News just showed a pic of him mid race with numbers on his shoulders.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    He was a really fit rider, and use various equipment to achieve great TT time.

On one occcasion, he had his tri-type bars just a bit too close to his front wheel.

Think he lost at least 2 fingers or partial lossses.
  • Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    I read this story whilst at work today and unfortuantly the only paper they have in the staff room is the sun. Story went more along the lines of "Spook is murdered by al-qaeda and chopped up into suitcase". As always the sun over dramatise things
  • Sirius631
    Sirius631 Posts: 991
    Gareth Rhys-Evans, alias Druid on Timetriallingforum, was a Major in 1 MI Batallion. Two Gareths, two cyclists, two involved in intel circles. Conspiracy theories anyone?
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • softlad
    Sirius631 wrote:
    Gareth Rhys-Evans, alias Druid on Timetriallingforum, was a Major in 1 MI Batallion. Two Gareths, two cyclists, two involved in intel circles. Conspiracy theories anyone?

I think they both deserve a little more respect than that....
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    softlad wrote:
    Sirius631 wrote:

I think they both deserve a little more respect than that....

What he said.
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,245
    It's a very odd story.

And given the MI6 GC HQ link, it's unlikely anything the public will get to hear is particularly close to what happened.
  • The BBC interviews with the locals were as illuminating as ever - "We didn't know he was Mi6." and "This doesn't happen here very often".
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,218
    Very strange story and I'm also surprised that his work has come out especially as he was on secondment so they could have referred to him simply as a GCHQ worker. They seem much more open than in the past - my father's cousin was involved in some form of secretive government work back in the 60s and died in strange circumstances. His family never found out what exactly happened.

Sympathies to his family and friends.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Pross wrote:
    Very strange story and I'm also surprised that his work has come out .

Perhaps they want you to (think you) know he worked for MI6 for some reason....
    Strange that someone in that sort of profession can apparently be missing for a couple of weeks without anyone going round to his house to check on him.

Still a horrible thing to have happened.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    Seems he must have led quite the lonely life, no one checking on him for such a length of time. Poor begger.
  • tebbit
    tebbit Posts: 604
    The news today is much less lurid, + 1 for Bunneh's comments.

RIP
  • OK, who's stopped posting here recently?

MURDERED MI6 worker Gareth Williams was a secret transvestite who may have been killed by a gay lover, detectives said yesterday.

Cops found women's clothing that would fit him at his Pimlico flat in central London, a short distance from MI6's HQ beside the Thames.

:roll:
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    Poor guy, when you see the picture of someone very much vital and doing what they love you can't help but think what a shame they're gone. Very sorry to hear about it, and best to his family and friends.

Given the MI6 connection Lord knows what yarn we'll hear. Everyone inside and outside the serivce and in the media have seen too many bad spy movies so there will be double think about any "story" or "reason" for his death.

BTW, I'm not prone to it but it's no disrespect to talk about theories re: Welch TTers called Gareth. Who is that disrespecting? Was it disrespectful to talk about the grassy knowl and JFK? Is it disrespectful to say that 'Help for Heros' is a misnomer b/c how are people getting paid to do a job heros, any more than Joe the plumber or trapped Chilean miners? Grow up.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    Sirius631 wrote:

This is possibly the most retarded thing I've ever read on the internet.
    Rules are for fools.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    OK, who's stopped posting here recently?

It is I
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • softlad
    BTW, I'm not prone to it but it's no disrespect to talk about theories re: Welch TTers called Gareth. Who is that disrespecting? Was it disrespectful to talk about the grassy knowl and JFK? Is it disrespectful to say that 'Help for Heros' is a misnomer b/c how are people getting paid to do a job heros, any more than Joe the plumber or trapped Chilean miners? Grow up.

Maj Rhys-Evans was killed during a time trial by a dangerous driver who was tried and convicted of the crime. So yes, I would say talking about his death in the context of a conspiracy is particularly inane - not to mention somewhat disrespectful to his family. Maybe you should be the one growing up.
  • spen666
    softlad wrote:

Maj Rhys-Evans was killed during a time trial by a dangerous driver who was tried and convicted of the crime. So yes, I would say talking about his death in the context of a conspiracy is particularly inane - not to mention somewhat disrespectful to his family. Maybe you should be the one growing up.

Wherther there is any truth in a conspiracy thewory or not is one thing.

To try to suggest someone should not be allowed to express a view suggesting there may be a conspiracy theory is another thing.

As previously posted re conspiracy theory, the poster simply raised the issue. It is no more disrespectuful than happens in any investigation.

Theories are looked at and discounted or investigated further.

Twittering @spen_666
  • softlad
    spen666 wrote:
    As previously posted re conspiracy theory, the poster simply raised the issue. It is no more disrespectuful than happens in any investigation.

seriously, I can't believe I'm having this conversation. If the poster had bothered to check his facts, he would have seen there there is no connection between the death of the two Gareths - that is the point I'm making. Gareth Williams seems to have come from a cycling family, so it's possible his family may be reading some of this nonsense.

Whether Gareth Williams' death is as a result of some 'conspiracy' is a valid question - but suggesting that it might in some way be linked to the death of Gareth Rhys-Evans (because they share the same Christian name and are both Welsh) is nothing short of moronic.

At any other time, a comparison like that might be funny - but not now, and not in this context. Time 'n' a place - and all that....
  • spen666
    softlad wrote:
    spen666 wrote:

seriously, I can't believe I'm having this conversation. If the poster had bothered to check his facts, he would have seen there there is no connection between the death of the two Gareths - that is the point I'm making. Gareth Williams seems to have come from a cycling family, so it's possible his family may be reading some of this nonsense.

Whether Gareth Williams' death is as a result of some 'conspiracy' is a valid question - but suggesting that it might in some way be linked to the death of Gareth Rhys-Evans (because they share the same Christian name and are both Welsh) is nothing short of moronic.

At any other time, a comparison like that might be funny - but not now, and not in this context. Time 'n' a place - and all that....

If you had bothered to check what the poster had actually posted in this thread, you will see he said
    Sirius631 wrote:

There is nothing disrespectful in asking if there are any conspiracy theories about the 2 deaths

fortunately for most of us, we live in a society where generally free speech is valued and this includes the freedom to express views that are contrary to your views and at the time of the poster's choice

I may not agree with Sirius but I will defend his right to make such remarks, free from censorship of narrow minded people

Would you like to perhaps post a daily list of topics and subjects we are in your dicatorial mind allowed to comment on or not as the case may be?

Twittering @spen_666
  • don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    There is nothing disrespectful in asking if there are any conspiracy theories about the 2 deaths

fortunately for most of us, we live in a society where generally free speech is valued and this includes the freedom to express views that are contrary to your views and at the time of the poster's choice

I may not agree with Sirius but I will defend his right to make such remarks, free from censorship of narrow minded people

Would you like to perhaps post a daily list of topics and subjects we are in your dicatorial mind allowed to comment on or not as the case may be?

I'm with softlad. A real person has apparently been murdered. Inviting 'conspiracy theorists', who know nothing about this incident other than what's been in the press, to start making up stories about it strikes me as crass and stupid..
  • softlad
    spen666 wrote:

sorry, I disagree - for the reasons I already stated.

spen666 wrote:

if you had actually bothered to read what I have written, I haven't tried to censor anyone. I'm just expressing my freely-held view that his comment was both insensitive and disrespecful. You appear to be very selective in your defence of free speech.

Maybe you should be the one providing me with a list of topics where I am not allowed to express my own views, so as not to upset your own dictatorial little mind..?
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Who ever he was spy, mundane office worker, cyclist, fit young man with much of his life in front of him, he's now dead. I hope his family and close friends find out, as far as is possible, what happened to him. A frightfully awful end to ones's life no doubt in very distressing circumstances.

RIP.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    spen666 wrote:
    It looks to me like he wasn't asking if there were any, he was inviting them, or even creating them. That is a very different thing.
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    Exactly what type of conspiracy is sirrius imagining?

Does he seriously think there is even the remotest possibility of a link between the two. Anyway, a link would not necessarily mean a conspiracy.
  • spen666
    softlad wrote:

spen666 wrote:

if you had actually bothered to read what I have written, I haven't tried to censor anyone. ..

You clearly fail to see that is exactly what you have done (whether you tried to or not)
    At any other time, a comparison like that might be funny - but not now, and not in this context. Time 'n' a place - and all that
    That looks supiciously like indicating that Sirius should not have posted what he did ( not becasue it is inaccurate or wrong but ) because you dislike it.

Free speech means having to allow those who post views you disagree with to have the right to post what they want and when they want.

Clearly you have failed to actually read what I have posted as I have not for one minute suggested you should not post what you have. I disagree with what you post, but I will defend your right to post the same.

Twittering @spen_666
  • softlad
    spen666 wrote:
    Clearly you have failed to actually read what I have posted as I have not for one minute suggested you should not post what you have. I disagree with what you post, but I will defend your right to post the same.

mate - your argument has just gone full circle, to the point where you are now in serious danger of arguing with yourself. I think the sooner you disappear up your own arsehole, the better...