Cervèlo and Garmin to merge?

PinkBianchi
PinkBianchi Posts: 63
edited September 2010 in Pro race
http://bit.ly/d8E8TX

Article on procycling.no, google translated to English... interesting...

"procycling.no has got information from a reliable source saying a merge between Cervèlo Test-Team and Garmin-Transitions is about to happen"

Comments

• Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    :shock:
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    Blimey, that would be a shocker!!
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • I wonder how would this affect the women's Cervèlo team?

Anyway, whatever, there surely won't be any official announcements until the usual horsetrading at the World Championships is done.
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    iainf72 wrote:

That would be a real shame to see the Cervelo Test Team go :(, lets hope that isn't the outcome!!
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    Think how good Farrar can be if he learns from Hushovd who's shown himself to be a brilliant rider in the TDF, getting more points than should have been possible with his current ability (at this age). Couple that with Farrar's power and wow.
  • dave milne
    dave milne Posts: 703
    there goes all that replica cervelo kit :)
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    I think both teams might continue, only several top Cervelo riders are apparently in talks with Garmin, as a way to lighten the Cervelo team's wage bill. Hushovd, Klier, Haussler and Hammond.
  • iainf72
    According to several sources Cervelo should put the key under the
    doormat year end

http://twitter.com/LaurentBruwier/status/22107654330
  • Steve2020
    Steve2020 Posts: 133
    Garmin would have a hell of team for the cobbles: Maaskant, Millar (for Flanders anyway), Farrar, Klier, Hammond, Hushovd, Haussler.

I wonder if Haussler will curtail his trips to Morzine?
  • incog24
    incog24 Posts: 549
    It wouldn't be hard to improve garmins cobbles team though would it. Didn't all but millar go down in one go in Paris Roubaix? And the cobble tour stages weren't exactly great for them either...
    Racing for Fluid Fin Race Team in 2012 - www.fluidfin.co.uk
  • incog24
    incog24 Posts: 549
    It wouldn't be hard to improve garmins cobbles team though would it. Didn't all but millar go down in one go in Paris Roubaix? And the cobble tour stages weren't exactly great for them either...
    Racing for Fluid Fin Race Team in 2012 - www.fluidfin.co.uk
  • incog24 wrote:
    And the cobble tour stages weren't exactly great for them either...

I thought Ryder Hesjedal did OK, didn't he?
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Garmin is a quality team, I like them a lot. This would be an interesting development if they ar in the hotseat. I'll miss the superb Cervelo kit though.

Although how would Hushovd and Farrar work together? Is Farrar rumoured to be leaving?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    Any other teams had success with two top sprinters?

Incidentally, Tyler Farra trivia: his wikipedia entry has this thread from here listed as one of only three references http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=16010242

Nearly spat my tea....
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Although how would Hushovd and Farrar work together? Is Farrar rumoured to be leaving?

I think Hushovd recognises that his days as a top line sprinter are probably behind him, especially in these days of Cavendish. He's won 13 GT stages (in all three GTs), he's got two green jerseys and Vuelta points jersey. Nothing left to prove there. So I reckon he's more interested in the first three monuments these days. So no conflict of interest really. He could make a good lead out man for Farrar, but probably not as good as Dean (not as aggressive)

I'd say the pre-existing pairing with Haussler is more of a clash.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Steve2020
    Steve2020 Posts: 133
    incog24 wrote:

Bit harsh. Maaskant came 4th in Roubaix in 08 and 4th in Flanders in 09. Farrar won the sprint for 5th in Flanders this year and Millar was at the front until he died on the Muur. Better than plenty of others.

And what went wrong for them in the Tour on the cobbles? CVV was already out. Hesjedal was one of the strongest.
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    That cyclingnews piece is the most circumspect sketchy piece they've posted in years. Makes me think there must be some truth to it.

Poor Cervelo...they've had a sh!tty year so far with 1 tour stage win and lots of gone hope.

Maybe not enough people signed up for the £3500 weekends.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • pomtarr
    pomtarr Posts: 318
    incog24 wrote:
    It wouldn't be hard to improve garmins cobbles team though would it.
    They have Van Summeren now - he was still at Lotto for P-R 2010. Must be on their mind.
    "Difficult, difficult, lemon difficult"
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    That cyclingnews article reads like Daniel Benson has been reading this thread...
  • Neil McC
    Neil McC Posts: 625
    A good little round up of the rumours and situation on the inner ring blog

http://theinnerring.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... rvelo.html
  • Neil McC
    Neil McC Posts: 625
    http://www.nusport.nl/wielrennen/231991 ... arwel.html

Google translated the following quote.

"I can not deny that it's true. The future will change. For me it is also a question of how, "says team manager Jean-Paul van Poppel to NUsport." I expect us to stop totally, but at this moment I can say nothing meaningful about. "
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    wonder if these means Cervelo will be supplying bikes to the Schleck brothers team. They rode with them until the other year and they seem to like the idea of developing in the pro peloton
  • I hope my new hero Xavier Tondo gets to join Garmin, he would be a handy rider for them.
  • Philip S
    Philip S Posts: 398
    A real shame for CTT - they're been a bit unlucky this year, but they've been an entertaining addition to the sport. Them going pop should help the likes of Quick Step and Sky make that all important top 17 ranking. Hope the story that the women's team will keep going are true.

Lucky I bought my Thor Norwegian champion's jersey before it goes all argyle on us!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Philip S wrote:
    A real shame for CTT - they're been a bit unlucky this year, but they've been an entertaining addition to the sport. Them going pop should help the likes of Quick Step and Sky make that all important top 17 ranking.

I'm not sure if CTT fold that their place passes down to 18th spot. I've not really read the rules that closely.

Unless Roche and Moncoutie both somehow make the top 5 at the Vuelta, both Sky and QS are safely in the the top 17 anyway.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • iainf72
    Garmin to become Garmin-Cervelo. Nearly official according to the Comic
  • Gazzaputt
    iainf72 wrote:
    Garmin to become Garmin-Cervelo. Nearly official according to the Comic

Wow where do Felt Bikes go?
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    Wow where do Felt Bikes go?
    ebay?
  • Gazzaputt