trans pennine twice! 2010 charity riders wanted.

bobs bikes
bobs bikes Posts: 589
edited August 2010 in MTB rides
hi all.
on the 28th august 2010. the team from bob's bikes...(me and a couple of mates) are attempting the trans pennine trail from hornsea to southport and back again. returning to hornsea on the 6th september. as its the 21st aniversary of the TPT, we are getting sponsored for it and hope to raise a bit of money for the trans pennine charity and also our riders own individual ones.

anyone want to join us?? :D

we will depart from hornsea at 4pm, sat 28th with a backup crew carrying our tents and food etc...arriving in southport on the wed, 1st sept. having a day off, and to say goodbye to people who are going one way and to meet and greet with some more riders coming back. before departing on fri 3rd sept and arriving back in hornsea on the 6th.

we are speaking with the sustrans rangers and local councils to hopefully have some support as we pass through towns and cities (we are hoping for 30-40 riders... imagine convoying that through the middle of stockport!) and a press release is off to the tv stations and radio stations en route, so we should get a bit of publicity too!
you have the option of either hornsea to southport or southport to hornsea, or both if you are up to it! either that or just join us as we pass! it will be a good ride which is fully marshalled with rangers and radios.a support crew and mechanic, first aid staff and a BBQ!

.... anyhows, let me know if you fancy joining us!

i am a sustrans ranger and have done the trail a few times, so i can give any advice and im fully aware of terrain and the full route, so everything is sorted in that sense! :D:D:D

Comments

• afcbian
    afcbian Posts: 424
    Assume this is largely off road ?
    What is the total distance (roughly) ?
    I have a few guys (nutters) who may be interested
    I ride therefore I am
  • bobs bikes
    ah yeah, may help eh? :roll:
    its 215 miles in four days each way, so 430 in 9 days (late start day one and a rest day in southport) its 80% off road with on road sections on quiet country lanes and city centres using on road cycle tracks.
    it uses mostly canal paths and old railway lines so is mainly flat gravel paths and loose chalk.

the website above gives you some ideas. thanks for posting that!
  • bobs bikes
    looks like this could be a popular event!

names forward if you will please, i am trying to guage numbers at the minute!
    :)
  • bobs bikes
    right, you can now email me on info@bobs-bikes.co.uk for more in depth details and sponsor forms etc. its all go now!.....

....i would upload the posters but the file is MASSIVE! :shock:
  • bugsterboy
    bugsterboy Posts: 14
    I'm riding this the day before you start!
  • bobs bikes
    goo luck to you fella, if you get stuck, we wont be far behind!
    we have a full backup crew if needed! :D
  • EnduroChris
    EnduroChris Posts: 107
    im doing this in aug sept for nspcc but in two days...pitstop at sprotbrough,doncaster for food, sleep, cold bath!.....its close to home. bout 115 day one i believe...

envisaging a 5-6am start and finsh day one 12-13hours later.

niiiiiiice....luck....gulp.....need an engine...arf.

sounds good yours though full team effort...where you guna be stopping overnight?
    most people do it in 3....why the choice for 4?
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Make sure you have some good mudguards the annual 365 day long Dog Shit Festival is in full swing.

Just got back from a hangover busting ride that took in 10 miles of the TPT and its hard to spot the doggy land mines when your glasses are covered in rain.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • bobs bikes
    im doing this in aug sept for nspcc but in two days...pitstop at sprotbrough,doncaster for food, sleep, cold bath!.....its close to home. bout 115 day one i believe...

envisaging a 5-6am start and finsh day one 12-13hours later.

niiiiiiice....luck....gulp.....need an engine...arf.

sounds good yours though full team effort...where you guna be stopping overnight?
    most people do it in 3....why the choice for 4?

we have spent a long time on logistics on this one! all the sites are booked and riders are signing up daily. we are going to take 4 days each way as its a leisure ride with people of all abilities, so no rushing through it. we are camping en route with milage being between 40 and 70 miles a day. we are reckoning on an average of 10mph. its not the riding speed, its trying to get us all through them bloody gates that will slow us down!
  • bobs bikes
    well.... 72 hours to go!
    all is booked and sorted.... just. after 9 months of planning, it all nearly went wrong in the last week. we were all sorted on saturday.... since then we lost the driver and support vehicle, two hotels and a camp site! :lol:

.... ithink we are back on track now. :roll: