Lotions and potions for JOGLE

prb007
prb007 Posts: 703
Just committed to JOGLE in May of next year..........
http://joglemay2011.blogspot.com/
and am anticipating LOTS of aches and pains
before during and after the ride!
Anyone got any tried and tested remedies/drugs
to alleviate/eliminate the anticipated agony!
Shammy cream, Ibuprofen, ralgex, is what I was
planning on taking, but any/all suggestions welcome!

If you can't contribute a magic potion,
then at least contribute some money!
http://www.justgiving.com/Peter-Bowen-JOGLE
If Wales was flattened out, it'd be bigger than England!
Planet X Ti Sportive for Sportives & tours
Orange Alpine 160 for Afan,Alps & dodging trees
Singlespeed Planet X Kaffenback for dodging potholes
An On-One Inbred for hard-tail shenanigans...

Comments

• mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Hello mate - I did the Deloitte RAB this year and managed on Chamois cream, sudocrem and ibruprofen only. Chamois cream for riding, sudocrem for night - ibruprofen often! My missus swears by homeopathic arnica remedies too (although I am more sceptical).

I would suggest packing some knee/ankle supports because everyone seemed to be struggling with knee/achilles problems from thigh and calf muscles pulling them out of shape. We had some sports therapists helping with massages and stuff which was pretty welcome - but if you are in B&Bs then some baths would be nice!

If you train properly and ride sensibly you should be able to do it, I won't say "no problems", but "happily"!

I would learn how to stretch properly and do those exercises in the morning before you set off and when you pull in to your evening camp - that'll help.
    Also, get used to the sports drink and gels you are going to use - lots of people ended up with upset stomachs trying to cope with the quantities they were drinking.

If you were camping I would suggest ear plugs and eye masks (sleep is a precious commodity!). If you are having support in a mini-bus some "spares" would be helpful - maybe a spare bike to allow for any real mechanicals - get every rider to get their bikes checked out by a LBS before they ride too!
  • prb007
    Mark - sound advice, cheers, heard good things about sudocrem,
    also Avon's Skin-so-soft for the midges in Scotland!
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    I think at the time of year you're going and the fact that you're not camping then you should probably be ok with the midges - we did it in June and they weren't too bad. Although the people doing the camp did have the balaclava type bee keeping hat things to keep them off - they are hungry suckers, but you should(?!) be going too fast for them on the bikes!

We did get the avon skin soft stuff - it is hard to get easily in the uk we found - but any fishing/outdoor shop in Scotland sells it if you want to get it.

If you were camping, I'd advise wellies as well, but hostels/B&Bs will be far more civilised!
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    prb007 wrote:

Here's my list
  • prb007
    vorsprung wrote:
    prb007 wrote:

Here's my list

Could visit here in every town!
    http://www.boots.com/ :wink:

interesting article, though; I use creatine myself from time to time...........
  • Also did the Deloitte Ride Across Britain - knees were a definite problem but I found Ibuprofen gel really helped to the extent that I was handing it en route to fellow sufferers - I took it on the rides on the last few legs and topped up as necessary. As said above the real lesson is lots of training and good long rides - as well as lots of club runs, I packed in as many sportives as possible - one a month upping to 2 in April and May including the FW and Dragon. I thought nine days was going to be very tough - it was but the expected cumulative effect didnt happened )at least until I got back) and I was pleased to get through each day relatively ok.

Its a really great ride - enjoy it!