OT - LA Fitness

Wallace1492
Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
Had to get this one off my chest.....

used to be a member of LA. Decided to quit in March and sent them letter and cancelled Direct debit. Got snotty letter back that I had to give one months notice, I disputed as had not got copy of contract and no T&C's on their website. Eventually got reply from someone with an obviously well photocopied terms and conditions (not a copy of the document I signed). By this time I was also getting letters from a debt collection agency.

I relented and sent them the £30. They cashed the cheque.

However, kept getting letter from the debt agency, I told then LA had received and cashed cheque, they said LA had not got it, and could I give serial number of cheque. Did it. They still said they had not got it. Now I received letter from debt agancy's solicitors threatening court action. At this point I got copy of cashed cheque and send a copy 1. to LA, 2. to debt agency and 3. to Solicitors.

2 weeks later debt agency phoned again. Neither they, not LA got the letter!! Faxed it to LA and debt agency... LA later called to say they had not placed cashed cheque against my account. No letter of apology, nothing.

Today I get a text from LA asking me to rejoin!! Who are they kidding...... :shock:
"Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"

Comments

• Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I had a similar rigmarole with TfL (I think it was them). Person who owned my flat before me hadn't re-registered his car at his new address. I kept getting mail marked "urgent - do not discard" etc addressed to the guy. I sent a lot of it back marked "Unknown at this address" but it still kept coming.

I was worried that it was something like an unpaid bill for him, so I opened one and found that it was a demand for a fine for driving in a bus lane. I phoned TfL, they said that all I needed to do was send them a copy of something addressed to me at my address and they would cancel it. I did this but the mail kept coming, next stuff started coming from a debt collection agency.

I was worried that they would somehow get a court injunction to enter my flat and remove goods for a fine not incurred by me! I phoned TfL again, this time they said I hadn't sent a valid form of mail addressed to me and that it had to be a bill or bank statement. Sent that. Still no let up. More threatening letters from the debt agency.

Phoned again, this time was told that I should never have sent them anything with my name and address on as that was of no use to them (??!!) and that all I had to do was phone DVLA and have the car unregistered at my address. I did this and pleaded with DVLA to call them to tell them this. Finally the letters and demands stopped coming.

I also occasionally get letters from EDF and debt agencies demanding around £2k in unpaid bills dating back to 2001 or something. They're always addressed to "the occupier" and I always have to phone them to tell them I've only been there since 2006. It's theuir issue anyway, EDF messed up the registration numbers on the meters in our building and they stil have no proper record of which meter belongs to which flat!

Great British efficiency in action!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173

I also occasionally get letters from EDF and debt agencies demanding around £2k in unpaid bills dating back to 2001 or something. They're always addressed to "the occupier" and I always have to phone them to tell them I've only been there since 2006. It's theuir issue anyway, EDF messed up the registration numbers on the meters in our building and they stil have no proper record of which meter belongs to which flat!

From Électricité de France?
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    will3 wrote:

From Électricité de France?

Well they employ British people and managers!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    A good few years ago now, I got a mobile phone contract. bought it in a proper shop....got the hadnset, everything....all working...

the next day i got a phone call saying that it was a security call from orange to check that everything had been set up OK, but first could I confirm my DPA details...

They asked for Name and Address...I gave them it...they asked if everything was working ok and I said yes...and thought nothing else of it....

until a fortnight later, I received a bill stating I owed £3000 odds for premium phone services....

I knew it was fishy, because the dates of the supposed premium calls were months before I had even gotten the phone.....the next thing I noticed was that the account number on top of the bill was very similar to my mobile number....except one digit was different....

I knew what had happened....that 'happiness call' i got...was from this lot trying to get name and address data, but had mis-keyed the phone number.

I phoned them up thinking...easy mistake to make...you dialled the wrong number....apparently I was the biggest liar in the world! Nothing I said made any difference. When I asked to speak to a superior, they told me they were the supervisor...I asked for their manager...they didn't have one....

I wrote to them and everything giving them every chance to notice their mistake and stop bothering me!

In the end I just suggested they take me to court. Some tim elater, it was passed to a debt collector, who phoned me....

I told their agent that it wasn't my debt...i was sick of wasting my time trying to get them to see that and if they could fast track it to court, I would be highly amused.

That agent asked me to just quickly explain....I said....see the number you just dialled? See the account reference....the penny dropped very quickly with this chap and he apologised profusely and apparently sorted it all out....

Part of me still wishes it had gone to court, where I could have produced my contract purchase date, all of the letters they sent me, all of the letters I sent them, the details of the times and names of people who phoned me and a record of what was said.....still probably best it didn't!
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440

I had a similar issue with Three Valley's Water. Despite being on rates that were paid by the leaseholder and included in our rent we got a final demand for a water meter bill in the name of some random bloke.

I rang them up and told them that the bloke didn't live there and that we paid rates. They apologised and said they would sort it. A week later the final demand arrived with my name on it. Turns out they had fitted meters to the building, but not told anyone and hand't bothered issuing bills fot 18 months. The bills they had issued had the names they had taken off an old version of the electorial roll.

Somewhere I have a four page complaint letter I wrote which is an epic of scathing wit.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX