100K CX / Light trail easy day anyone?

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
I'm arranging a route up the Tissington Trail to the High Peak trail starting from where I used to live (Hatton / Tutbury) and looping back again for the last weekend in September

It'll start in Hatton (long term car park to set up in) just near the Train Station and work it's way up to Alkmonton - this is the section of the Fat Boy ride we did previously - a good route that people apparently liked.

However this time we'll be going straight on to Ashbourne, along the ridge that parallels the A515, then down the hill into Ashbourne and onto 16 odd miles of the Tissington Trail.

There's a cafe / shop / bike hire place where the Trails meet and I was going to rest there for 30 mins to have something to eat / drink and then go back down the trail. It's a bit of a slog up to the High Peak trail - tiny incline that just never stops... Great going back down though.

Back to Alkmonton and then left onto a 2 mile descent (Fat Boy Route again) with a loop through Etwall, Hilton, Marston, Rolleston and finally back to Tutbury/Hatton.

I've done a similar route - it's a great run and this loop will be at least 100K (nearer 110) so if anyone wants to break this barrier this is really good way to get the miles in.

The Trail stretch (30+ miles) kind of precludes thin tyred road bikes but they're smooth enough for 28c and above if you fit 'em.

I'm using the Tricross with 28s or 32s to do the run - you can't cycle quickly on the Trail, there are too many people walking but it makes for a gentle ride with great views and it is a well maintained stretch.

Anyone interested? I'm definitely going and have a couple of work mates coming along as well. Weather permitting I might do a dry run this weekend.

It's going to be a "leave no one behind" ride with an easy pace so expect it to take the lions share of the day. There is only one cow of a climb, and that's the one out of Ashbourne (got a choice of 3: 1/10 for 1/2 a mile , a 1/5 for a 1/4 mile :shock: or the cycle route stepped climb) some fun descents and sharp little inclines. It's all quiet country lanes (a la Fat boy route) some so quiet there is grass growing down the middle....
There's places to fill water bottles at Tissington (and public loos) so I think we should be okay for drinks and ablutions.
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    If it's the Saturday, I'll see what I can do, should be doable.

If it's the Sunday, then no chance, as the earliest I can get to Hatton by train is 3 in the afternoon...
  • essexian
    essexian Posts: 187
    I could be up for this but....110Km....glup. That's 30% further than I have been this year in any one ride.

I like the Tissington Trail but do prefer to get there at 7am as it does become busy with walkers and weekend cyclists who have no idea what they are doing.

The ride back down from the Junction at High Peak is fun being 800 foot down hill.

If I do it (someone ask for a lift from Stafford and then I will have to go!!!) I'll be on a Boardman Hydrid with 28mm tyres. I have done it on a road bike with 23mm Gatorskins on it but it was not painfree! :oops:
  • Kieran_Burns
    WAIH lives in Lichfield I think - if you could loop past and pick him up....? (then onto the A38 / A50 to get to Hatton, or the A515)

Oh, and I've arranged this for Saturday 25th September
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Kieran_Burns
    Looks like the weather's going to permit a dry run this weekend, just got to decide whether Saturday or Monday will be the better day to try.

Methinks Saturday as BHM will be chocka with rental bikes....
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X