A load of bull......

gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
Due to the aggressive geometry of TT and track frames, I have generally stuck with Nitto RB-018 bullhorns on my fixies....

However, on a recent test with drops - aside breaking my back and hurting my wrists! To be hoenest; they were fine for a few miles, but a nightmare over a commute distance on bumpy roads, through traffic and hauling ass up hills!I I decided that bullhorns worked best for me as a daily setup....

However, I am currently using Nitto RB-018 flat bullhorns.....but should I give the Nitto RB-021 drop bullhorn a try? Any experience?

RB-018:
16949.jpg

RB-021:
nitto-rb021-rotterdam-fixed-gear.jpg

Comments

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    surely that's just lowering you down more which you didn't like when on drops?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    Why would you ride drops all the time? thats the great thing about that style of bar, in that you can move your hands over several different positions.

I use the drops for heavy acceleration, going fast and trying to survive a headwind with some decent speed.
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    You have to persevere with drops, when I first got my road bike I could not use them for more than a couple of mins without back pain, now I'm as comfortable with them as I am on the hoods, and when you hit a headwind they are a real bonus.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Drops are fine on a road bike, with road bike geometry - but on a track bike geometry over a distance, drops are cruel and disturbing!

Hence the bullhorns to keep me a bit more upright.
  • I've got some bullhorns......... in my cupboard waiting to be fitted to the FG. :D

I also never use my drops, on any of my bikes, which are now generally pretty well-fitting. I just don't find it comfortable being that hunched over, and feel it impedes my breathing somewhat.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I seriously noticed the lack of a dropped position on the Trek in the wind yesterday, but my flats are vintage Ti loveliness and I can't bear to swap them out for Ally (and carbon would look daft on my bike).

I have to adopt this strange sort of aero position that gives me no bar leverage.....

Off to hunt for Ti bullhorns........
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Drops are fine on a road bike, with road bike geometry - but on a track bike geometry over a distance, drops are cruel and disturbing!

Hence the bullhorns to keep me a bit more upright.

The drops on my track bike are a helluva lot lower than any of the drops on my road bikes, that I can attest to. But the longest track races I ride are 10-15 minutes...

I like the look of the dropped bullhorns - they're a very TT design, so may well suit the frame - as to whether they suit you or not, is a different question.

I'd be tempted to side with CP - I'd stick with the flat bullhorns for now. You can always change later.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...