Shakespeare 100 Sportive - Stratford-upon-Avon - 12 Sept 10

robgul
robgul Posts: 1,651
edited September 2010 in Sportives/audaxes/training rides
Lots of entries coming in for this 100 mile or 100 km event - looks like we'll have to limit on-the-day entries again this year - enter soon at http://www.shakespeare100.org.uk and enhance your summer riding experience with one of our event jerseys - all the money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support

Comments

• robgul
    Not many places left for the 100 mile version ... enter online to ensure your place - http://www.shakespeare100.org.uk
  • robgul
    With four weeks to go there are only a few places left for the 100 mile version, more for the 100km but filling fast.

If you want to ride, enter now - I'm certain that there'll be no entering on the day (and you save money entering in advance)

The routes have been finalised and will be on the website at www.shakespeare100.org.uk during w/c 23 August as .gpx files and route sheets.

Event jerseys are almost sold out too, only about 15 left.

Rob
  • FOAD
    FOAD Posts: 318
    Hi Rob

Will the signage be better this year?
  • robgul
    FOAD wrote:
    Hi Rob

Aaargh!

YES - go to the website and look at the News - there's a picture of the LARGE BRIGHT ORANGE boards we have (there are 185 of them to put out on the routes)

Rob
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    Rob when is the GPX file of the route going up on the website?
  • robgul
    twotyred wrote:
    Rob when is the GPX file of the route going up on the website?

Should be by 29 August ... route is sorted but we last-minute check for roadworks etc.

Have you entered yet? 100 miler is very close to full (PM me if you like - I don't know who you are from your forum name!)

Rob
  • FOAD
    FOAD Posts: 318
    robgul wrote:
    FOAD wrote:
    Hi Rob

Aaargh!

YES - go to the website and look at the News - there's a picture of the LARGE BRIGHT ORANGE boards we have (there are 185 of them to put out on the routes)

Rob

Thank god, last year my friends and I (plus a few others) managed to take a wrong 'un and cycle up the side of Larkstoke/Hidcote before we realised...was funny later and made for a great descent into Ebrington mind you.
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    Hi Rob. I entered a while ago. Ta
  • Hi Rob

I don't want to open a can of worms here, but is it compulsory to wear a helmet?
  • robgul
    Hi Rob

I don't want to open a can of worms here, but is it compulsory to wear a helmet?

I have sent a PM ....

Rob
  • cakewalk
    cakewalk Posts: 220
    30th. NO Route ...
    "I thought of it while riding my bicycle."
  • cakewalk
    cakewalk Posts: 220
    30th. NO Route ...
    "I thought of it while riding my bicycle."
  • robgul
    cakewalk wrote:
    30th. NO Route ...

Oh yes they are! - as promised they were live on 29 August* - just try the link that says DOWNLOADS at the top .....

An item in the NEWS section announced that they were live .....

* they were there on 28 for the keen-eyed people ...

Rob
  • turboslave
    turboslave Posts: 178
    Rode the first half out and back to Bidford this morning, looking for a steady recovery ride and to reccy the course, need another recovery ride now, no major climbs but lumpy, cold wind today, very scenic route, See you on the day.

Dave
  • robgul
    turboslave wrote:
    Rode the first half out and back to Bidford this morning, looking for a steady recovery ride and to reccy the course, need another recovery ride now, no major climbs but lumpy, cold wind today, very scenic route, See you on the day.

Dave

Ah, the lumps are further on ... which distance are you doing? - the 100 km has a couple of lumps, the 100 mile has 3 REAL LUMPS!

Rob
  • Hi robgul, just the 100k, I rode the second half last year after the event as I missed it, so this week was a reccy of the first half, bakers is the only real climb on this one, but I was surprised how much rolling terrain was in this section.

Lets hope this good weather holds.

TS
  • Hello Rob ,

Just wandering if my colleague from work can start with me ....is this possible we have made our entries at different days?

He is helping me try to get a good time after a ankle operation .

Cheer Stu
  • robgul
    I think I have seen this question direct?

Yes - there are no number related start sequences .. just hold your mate's hand and you'll be OK :D

Rob
  • MYOB
    MYOB Posts: 7
    Rob

Is it really true that you have gone complaining to the council about the markings on the road from the Great Shakespeare Ride? Is it true that you went out taking pictures of the road markings to back up your complaints? How very, very sad indeed that you would go to such lengths.

And as for you dedicating four paragraphs to the subject on your own charity's website, words evade me as to quite how pathetic this comes across!

Did you bother to speak to the organiser first, or did you choose to strike early in the knowledge that she has been on holiday since organising the event?

Did you check with the highways authority for each area to see what permissions had been granted for signage and markings, or enquire with the organiser about this and the advice of other agencies? I think everyone who did both the Macride/Shakey 100 last year and the GSR this year will agree that the latter won handsdown on signage, and I certainly don't recall seeing groups doing reciprocals to find the route in the most dangerous of places as I witnessed on the Macride last year.

Do you know what paint was used, how long it lasts etc. I noticed only yesterday that some of your signs are still adorning lamposts and signage from last year - did you complain to the council about your own signage at the same time?

It has been common knowledge that since you heard about the Great Shakespeare Ride your behaviour towards it has been none-too-friendly, but for heaven's sake man, there is plenty of room in the calendar and the area for two charity rides in the same period, in fact I wouldn't be suprised if the GSR has actually boosted interest in your event.

The upshot of your involvement, is that a good number of us who were doing the Macride have now pulled out, and fortunately most of us hadn't paid already - we can put our money to a Macmillan coffee morning instead (heaven forbid someone running a coffee morning in Stratford gets jealous of someone running a coffee morning in Wellesbourne eh!).

I really think that your jealousy has clouded your judgment on this issue. A reasonable response to a complaint from someone to you accusing you of spraying the road would be, "I am sorry, but those signs weren't done by us, they are probably from the GSR...you need to speak to...". Why you feel the need to get involved in putting someone elses house in order is beyond me, I would concentrate on your own because last year's Macride was a bit of a shambles IMHO.

And let's just clarify, before you go pointing the finger, I am not one of the organisers nor do I speak on their behalf...quite frankly they wouldn't approve because they are above your pettiness and I imagine would rather just pity you silently.

All the best with your event, I hope everyone stays safe and you raise shed loads for Macmillan...but you sir need to get over yourself because you have lost a lot of "friends" over this.