Kit advice

RichEP3
RichEP3 Posts: 20
edited September 2010 in MTB beginners
Hey all,

I used to bike a fair bit when I was 16 really got into it but stopped & never had the time to start again. Now I'm 24, have more time on my hands I'm eager to get going again so I have a couple of Q's.

Currently riding a hard rock disk until I can afford a FS bike.

What would be the best helmet to purchase, full face or normal style? I'm interested in finding some trail's, I'm more of an aggressive biker & would eventually like to do some DH'ing.

Do I take a puncture repair kit or just a new inner tube in-case a puncture? Which is easier? Is there an 'ideal' kit too take?

Lastly doe's anyone know of any good trail's in Somerset?

(Sorry if these question's are basic as hell)

Rich

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Helmet is personal choice, really. Whatever you feel sufficiently safe in is best. Of course, it must fit properly, or it will be useless.
    The fit is a tricky one, since everyone's head is a slightly different shape, as are differing manufacturer's helmets, so you should try a few on ideally and see what fits best.

It' definitely worth getting a puncture repair kit, and a pump that you can fit in a camelbak, or rucksack to take with you.
    Personally, I take the bare minimum needed to fix a few punctures, and a spare tube or two with me.
    If I get a puncture, I swap the tube for a spare, then when I get home, I fix the punctured tube, and that then becomes my spare one.
    A few patches carried with you can be handy if you get a handful of punctures on one ride, or for helping out other riders.
  • mak3m
    mak3m Posts: 1,394
    always take a spare tube, a repair kit, tyre levers and a set of allen keys

even if you have ridden a route without problems, along comes farmer to cut back his hedgerow and bingo its thorn city all over the trail :(
  • jpstar
    jpstar Posts: 561
    I always take a pack of patches with me (the sticker style ones), 2 tubes and a multitool and pump. CO2 Canisters work just as well, but can be expensive.

As for the helmet, decathlon do decent ones as my friend has one. But as Yeehaa said, it really is a matter of personal preference, it ain't no good if it don't fit.
  • mak3m wrote:
    always take a spare tube, a repair kit, tyre levers and a set of allen keys

even if you have ridden a route without problems, along comes farmer to cut back his hedgerow and bingo its thorn city all over the trail :(

What he says!!

As for trails i cant help you, but i have been reading a thread on MTB britain forum about DH days in Devon that might interest you
    On One Inbred 456
    On One Inbred SS
  • I'm based in Bristol and have found this book useful:-

http://www.roughrideguide.co.uk/price.html#sw

It's got routes all over the SW, mainly a mix of XC with lots of technical descents. You'd need transport to get to most of these unless you live in the middle of the quantocks/mendips.

Theres DH dedicated at Blandford in Dorset with uplift and bike/armour hire - check the sig for details.
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    I take a phone, 2 tubes, tyre levers, a multitool and my mini pump
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • RichEP3
    RichEP3 Posts: 20
    Cheer's guys, appreciated.
  • Hey there, if you're in Somerset you have the Mendip hills to play with, plus some great trails south of Bristol.

Where are you?
    Boardman Team Comp
    Boardman CX Team
    Boardman Full Suss Pro
    Brick Lane fixie
    Genesis Day One