700c front suspension bikes?

richardabulmer
richardabulmer Posts: 89
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
not sure if this should go in commuting or mountain bike section.

Having just bought a Specialized Secteur, and stupidly rode it along the "72" from newcastle quayside to hexham. This route is definitely not road bike friendly.

Most of it is smooth to be honest. but in places it switches to cinder path, then stone. And some of the road route is damn right awful.

So for these kind of routes i am looking for a hybrid with 700c wheels, disk brakes and a front suspension forks. I cant find many that fit this bill.

Something like a Focus Lost Lagoon Hybrid 2010 or GT Transeo 2.0 Disc 2010

what other brands do this kind of bike up to a value of about £600

Comments

• Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    You can fit a 700c wheel into an MTB suspension fork with either a disc brake or the use of the Mavic caliper adaptor which moves the brake pivots into the correct position for the larger diameter rim.

I have just done this as part of my conversion of a Pace with RC35 forks into a 700c FG.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • gs3
    gs3 Posts: 249
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp? Comes in around £599 or less.

• gs3 wrote:

yeah i like these, and wouldn't look out of place along side my secteur
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,879
    Would a Cyclocross bike not do the job?

More will be availiable in 2011 with disc brakes now that the UCI have deemed them legal for race use.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,879
    gs3 wrote:

yeah i like these, and wouldn't look out of place along side my secteur

What am I missing here? Why this bike instead of the MTB option the Hardrock?

Also it has 700c tyres for 26 inch rims
    is that correct?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I think I would go the MTB option too - just change the tyres maybe. Often better specced, and sometimes even lighter too. Will give you two bikes for most occasions.
  • I got a Crosstrail Comp last week, so it's still early days for me with it, but so far it's lovely. Can definitely recommend it!
  • 'Cross bike with 28s or 32 tyres. No need for FS.
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire