Double and Bash Query

JDRfive
JDRfive Posts: 72
edited August 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello there,

I ride a 2009 Kona Dawgma with a triple chainring set up (FSA AlphaDrive with Deore shifters) but I want to upgrade to a double and bash. I'm looking at a raceface respond, but my question is do I have to buy new shifters? If so, does it matter what brand of shifter?

And also, can a chainguide be run with a double?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks. :)
Life's too short to be boring.

09 Kona Dawgma
08 Orange 224

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Not really an up grade - just different.

A shimano or SRAM shifter will work. If you get a 3 speed shifter just adjust the H/L stops and use 2 out of the 3 clicks.

What do you mean chain guide?

My view is (if you're not a weenie or after a couple of cm extra ground clearence) then the choice is either 1x9 or 3x9...
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    You won't need a new shifter and there are double chain guides, single ring guides won't work
  • konadawg
    konadawg Posts: 447
    A little tip. Don't change the front derailleur position (don't move it down, as may be tempting once the big ring is gone). Similarly anyone fitting a 3sp front der to a 2 ring crank, you need to mount as if the 3rd ring was there. Otherwise the shifting is kaput/rubby, as all the bumps and angles on the derailleur are in the wrong place.
    Giant Reign X1
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    or buy a SLX double mech, which shifts and looks better
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer