Cycling books

BikeyMikey1
BikeyMikey1 Posts: 82
edited August 2010 in The bottom bracket
Just when I thought I'd spent all I could on bikes and clothing, I've now discovered cycling books. Just read "Fallen Angel" The passion of Fausto Coppi and biography's of Marco Pantani and Tom Simpson. This is fast becoming a hobby within a hobby so, are there any other books in this vane that you'd recommend?

Cheers :D

Comments

• rmhodv
    rmhodv Posts: 83
    I've read the Bradley Wiggin's autobiography In Pursuit of Glory which I enjoyed.
  • dreamlx10
    dreamlx10 Posts: 235
    "In Pursuit Of Stardom" by Tony Hewson, the best book about cycling full stop.
  • rmhodv wrote:
    I've read the Bradley Wiggin's autobiography In Pursuit of Glory which I enjoyed.

Cheers I'll have a look in Smiths'. P.s. also read Lance Armstrong. Now I don't know much about cycling and doping but one line struck me when he said " Having had all the chemo in the world pumped into me, taking performance drugs would be the last thing on my mind" mmm made me think! :?
  • jswba
    jswba Posts: 491
    There are a load of threads on this very subject. have a look through the archives with a 'cycling books' search

I'm currently reading Jean Bobet's Tomorrow We Ride, which is a beautifully written (and translated) memoir of his career and that of his brother.
  • bill_gates
    bill_gates Posts: 469
    I have the same bug as the OP with my passion for cycling books.

Currently on Cycling's Greatest Misadventures which is very American but due to it being short stories, is easy to pick-up when I have time.

I enjoyed Cavendish's Boy Racer also and was reading this in conjunction with this years TdF which helped set the mood.

34gt07t.png

"I like riding in my car, it's not quite a Jaguar."
  • macondo01
    macondo01 Posts: 706
    Need for the Bike by Paul Fournel

An unusual book this, a number of short pieces, almost short stories about his experiences of cycling. Really captures the essence of cycling. Fournel is poet and a cyclist. Its an odd, literary, terrific little book.
    "Let not the sands of time get in your lunch"

National Lampoon
  • dreamlx10
    dreamlx10 Posts: 235

I agree, a fantastic book.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,218
    *inserts obligatory French Revolutions by Tim Moore recomendation*
  • Many thanks to all of you. Plenty to get my teeth into here. I particulary like reading about cycling when I can't do it, ie force 10 gale and hailstones, or to put it another way....summer.
    :lol:
  • opinion is divided on this one but I liked Rough Ride by Paul Kimmage and opinion is likely to be even more divded on this one, but I found Lance to Landis http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lance-Landis-In ... 034549962X
    very interesting

The Rider by Tim Krabbe is good if you like fiction - I read it, then immediately went out and bought his other novels which were even better

I like he Will Fotheringham books too...
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    Escape Artist - Matt Seaton, is good.

Dog in a hat - Joe Parkin, is also good.

Malcolm Elliotts biog also worth a read, Sprinter I think its called.
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    Bicylce Diaries by David Byrne of Takings Heads Fame..A foldingbike junkie.who takes it on a round the world trip.....
    jc
  • Verbal
    Verbal Posts: 100
    My son got me Michael Barry's "Le Metier" for Father's Day which I haven't got around to reading yet but looks pretty good... (he's only 11 months old as well, so was quite impressed. My son that is, not Michael Barry)
  • :oops: I've just started TDF.the history- legend- riders by Graeme Fife, nice bedtime reading courtesy of the local library. I could have rode in the 59 tour but the paper round got in the way !!!
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    I've just read Put Me Back on My Bike, ironically it arrived on the day I fell off and broke my collar bone so I got through it pretty quickly on the following day off work, it's a good read.

I'll be giving some of the suggestions (above) a go.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • ynyswen24
    ynyswen24 Posts: 703
    Lugged Bicycle Frame Construction: a manual for the first time builder by Marc-Andre R. Chimonas

God help us all...

And I never fail to recommend The Third Policeman by Flann O'Brien

also: Journey to the Center of the Earth by Richard & Nicholas Crane (unsopported ride from the Bay of Bengal to the point on the globe furthest from any open sea...)
  • Steve2020
    Steve2020 Posts: 133
    dreamlx10 wrote:

I agree, a fantastic book.

+1 and for The Rider by Tim Krabbe.

From Lance to Landis by David Walsh is really good too
  • PaulS77
    PaulS77 Posts: 48
    ynyswen24 wrote:

I'm a big fan of Magnus Mills who cited this as one of his favourite books which was recommendation enough for me but I can't get into it. Is it a slow starter or am I just missing something?
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12698552
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12708711
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12692456
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12675305

That's only a radom selection of threads to pick from.
    One which hasn't been mentioned in this thread so far, but doubtless has in some others, The Hour - Michael Hutchinson, nice bit of hour history + some funny/ interesting stuff that goes on for an attempt on the record.
  • ynyswen24
    ynyswen24 Posts: 703
    PaulS77 wrote:
    ynyswen24 wrote:

I'm a big fan of Magnus Mills who cited this as one of his favourite books which was recommendation enough for me but I can't get into it. Is it a slow starter or am I just missing something?

stick with it - it goes round and round the houses with 'footnotes' on various related and unrelated topics that can last a full page, but it is worth it. It has some very interesting points to make on the subject of bike fit and saddle height.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    fluff. wrote:
    The Hour - Michael Hutchinson, nice bit of hour history + some funny/ interesting stuff that goes on for an attempt on the record.

I'll second that one. It's one that doesn't often get mentioned on these threads, but I think it can take it's place alongside Tim Moore's book in the funny & entertaining stakes.

I'm currently reading Laurent Fignon's book, which is good. When are we going to see a Greg LeMond book?

Next on my list is Olympic Gangster by Matt Rendell, which seems to be a story of a cyclist who was also a bit of a rogue and, well, 'gangster'.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • My God, if I buy all these books, which I might, I'll have to sell one of my bikes...which will never do! Whoever said cycling was a cheap hobby was a complete idiot, where will it all end :lol:
  • PaulS77
    PaulS77 Posts: 48
    ynyswen24 wrote:
    stick with it

cheers fella, I'll give it another go.
  • robert-sb
    robert-sb Posts: 118
    Just come back from holiday where I read

Put Me Back on My Bike
    In Search of Robert Millar
    The Man Who Cycled the World (about cycle touring not racing)
    (and Theodore Boone by John Grisham - took one day :roll: )

All 3 were good, the Robert Millar perhaps the best.

Death of Marco Pantani was good and now reading Laurent Fignon.

I think the biographies are better than autobiographies as they seem to be more objective.