The Race Reports Thread 2010

Comments

• tomb8555
    tomb8555 Posts: 229
    Crystal Palace is awesome!

I had a puncture on the penultimate lap but apart from that, it was great fun! So much more exciting than Hillingdon!

Just thought I'd share that...
  • gattocattivo
    gattocattivo Posts: 500
    Back at Dunton again tonight. A bigger field than last time, maybe 35 or so, and mercifully not so much wind. The pace was higher this time (26 miles at 24mph) and quite a few were shelled out the back and lapped. Also one guy, incredibly, cycled into a plastic pillar in slow motion on the climb. I stuck bang in the middle of the bunch most of the time. On the final lap I sat in towards the front, but not at the front, maybe ten riders back or so. I also stayed on the left for the whole of that lap, having decided it would be the best place to be in on the final bend. This worked out alright: I was able to open it up from high up on the banking and had a clear route through. I wasn't boxed in (like the first time) and I didn't go too soon and have everyone sweep past me (like last time), I was able to sprint reasonably (although in search of gaps I ended up on the right hand side). Don't know the result yet (it will be e-mailed in a few days), but I'm guessing about 15th.
  • glasgowbhoy
    glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
    Raced in the Selkirk Sportive today. Happy with my 5.12 for the 95 miles.
    What was disappointing and potentially dangerous was that there wasn't a water/feed stop until 80 miles :shock: Luckily it was cool and overcast. Had it been hot there cold have been people breaking down all over the course after 60 miles. Poor organisation on what is a great course.
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    Did the Selkirk short course on Sat, 45 miles, a little disappointed with my time of 3hrs dead. But the first 25 was mostly uphill against a pretty stiff wind and there was no-one to work with until the last 10 miles. However just seen the full list of times, turns out I was 21st out of the 110-odd participants :D
    Organisation was pretty good, everyone out on the course was friendly and it stayed dry. I think next year I'll do the MTB on the Sunday as well, probably camp overnight too.
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    Sportive forum --> here.

Sportives aren't races.
  • glasgowbhoy
    glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
    maryka wrote:
    Sportives aren't races.

They are when I'm involved :lol:
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    In a season best described as 'rudderless' I thought I better try and get some value for my BCF racing license and raced on both days(21/22.10) last weekend - Ellens Green (Older Man Memorial Race) on Saturday (loved it!) and Goodwood on the Sunday (hmm). The Older Man's Road Race was easily the tougher of the two (E12's featured ) and it was quite interesting to see some guys that got dropped in that race looking quite sprightly in the steady paced affair that was the 3rd cats at Goodwood on the Sunday. More about that later!..With 4k's to go in the Older Men's Memorial Race I was where I like to be, out on my lonesome, some 20 secs ahead of a bunch of competitive MAMILs. Ooh how I woulda/coulda had fun with this race report if Ishmael Burdeau had stayed where he was and the guy I bridged across to had a bit more sustainable power hey who knows . Anyways the bunch reeled us in with less than 1k to go. Chapeau to the Race winner Gary Dodd

Right, 3rds at Goodwood - just myself and Toby representing ACC. I gotta say from the off Toby rode a great race and remained firmly entrenched in the top 15 positions despite a huge 80+ field and didn't do too badly in the race considering the circuit and conditions
    Once the race was 30 minutes old I tried to launch myself off the front as much as possible. Trying to get a breakaway going in a 3rd cat race is a labour intensive thankless task. I'm glad to say myself, a DP Rider and the legend that is Bill Butterworth (Team Quest) did manage a lap and half away together. Alas three was definitley not the magic number, so with a lack of clubmates to block (assits), headwind, and way too many 3rd cat bunch engines the inevitable and only the inevitable was going to take place.
    The moody grey clouds finally unleashed the wet stuff with 5-6 laps to go and despite the removal of the chicane some sketchy riding on the final bend ensured myself and approximately 10 others went down like the proverbial pack of cards. A bunch of wanna bees crashing in true Grand Tour Style. I now have a sore right hip, stiff neck, painful right elbow and a right shoulder that needs to learn how to rotate again. Oh and how much skin do you need to leave on the tarmac before you should consider getting a skin graft - ouch! Six years of racing and hardly a graze to speak of and then this...Oh well, still love racing
  • Dess1e
    Dess1e Posts: 239
    What is it with everyone falling off at the moment - hope all is Ok Toks.
  • Toks
    Cheers Des, i just managed a steady 20 mins on the turbo this morning before work. The shoulder is a bit painful so its touch or go for the VETS tomorrow at Hillingdon. How are you and how's ya bike?
  • Dess1e
    Dess1e Posts: 239
    Rode to work this morning - felt better than walking. Look is being returned to France to see if it's possible to repair, so have resurrected the Condor for tomorrow. Unfortunatley (but expected) the dog owners details were false, so a potential £3K out of pocket if a new frame is required. :cry: :twisted:

Are you going to ride our BC masters on Monday?
  • Toks
    Dess1e wrote:
    Rode to work this morning - felt better than walking. Look is being returned to France to see if it's possible to repair,
    Oh Man, fingers crossed
    Dess1e wrote:
    Are you going to ride our BC masters on Monday?
    Yep!. I seem to have spent the whole season looking for reasons when to start racing again rather than just getting out there and racing :roll:
  • Stuntman
    Stuntman Posts: 267
    edited September 2010
    Hi Guys and Gals

I had spent the year being busy, then thought I might be able to do a CAT4 race at Hillingdon on Saturday 4th September for some optimistic points and from the GO, the pace was on-off as always... more so than a coffee machine in your local cafe. This kept going for about 30 minutes until we gained on the CAT4 Womens race.. at which point the first few in our race tried to squeeze past the women and split our group(me included in the front pack) but unfortunately someone screamed SPLIT SPLIT !! and the guys behind worked super-hard to get round the women also.

I haven't raced a road race for nearly 9 months and so haven't got brilliant timing and once we passed the women we steadied in before we knew the pace would be upped in the final few laps. A couple of guys tried to go off the front (sorry I didn't get names or numbers)but nothing was essentially done as the pace was going to be upped and most people knew we'd close them down before the final lap.

With a LOT of huslling in the penultimate lap and some guys trying to ride straight across my front wheel and not to mention the several riders to my lefts' wheels also. Some more shouting came about from my surrounding riders. with my bad timing I started to wind it up rolling down the hill before the back straight and started to ease round the left hand-side after realising I was in a bad position and no where near the front, when all-of-a-sudden a rider on the opposite side of the track fell hard and very sharply. More shouting was heard and I think everyone managed to avoid to poor guy(not sure on name or number but he didn't move until the ambulance carried him away, if anyone knows him can you let us know if he's okay??). I carried speed round the outside and by the time I had got up to my sprint there were 6 riders in front of me so I had no where to go... bad timing on my part but I was also a bit shaken by the fallen rider so much so that I didn't want to crash in to the guys in front of me so I sat up and rolled in behind them to take 9th place. My best result at Hillingdon yet.

That's my account of how the race rolled but it was a typical CAT4 race really. Lots of surges and when a couple of people got away they didn't manage to work well together to stay away. Good race all in all apart from the obvious.

EDIT: I forgot to add that I clocked an average speed of 24.5-25mph which seems about right for the CAT4's. Nothing extraordinary
    Specialized Epic
    Specialized Enduro
    Specialzied Transition
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Stuntman wrote:
    More shouting was heard and I think everyone managed to avoid to poor guy(not sure on name or number but he didn't move until the ambulance carried him away, if anyone knows him can you let us know if he's okay??).

He was a High Wycombe CC rider, but I don't know any more news other than what was heard after the race when he was "okay" when being taken away in the ambulance, where I'm pretty sure okay was more not dead, than actually up and sparky.

I took some photos of the race, (either side of running around the path to actually get a workout)

The Dulwich guy did a pretty good job on his at the bell attack, carried it around the last corner at least but not enough I guess.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • maryka
    Stuntman wrote:
    This kept going for about 30 minutes until we gained on the CAT4 Womens race..
    Um it wasn't a cat 4 women's race, it was the London Crit Champs women's race... however we could tell that you guys were cat 4 by the way you all kept riding around the middle of the track at 10mph when your race was over, oblivious to the fact that we still had 5 laps to go in our race until we screamed at you to get the $%&* off the track already! :roll: :lol:

Bummer about the High Wycombe guy, he looked pretty bad when I saw him. Kinda ruined the end of our race too, his lying on the track there as we came around the corner every time, making sure to stay left. :( One of his teammates later said they thought he was ok.
  • Sorry for my misunderstanding Maryka... stupid of me to assume. You were going really well actually. Sorry our race made yours less enjoyable.

I was certain to get off the track though and was on the line cheering you all :) There were a lot of people who couldn't comprehend that there were two seperate races happening, I did give them a shout though as it seems silly to roll around the track while you were racing.

I saw the ambulance arrive and just drive straight in front of you(not you personally as I don't know what you look like).
    Specialized Epic
    Specialized Enduro
    Specialzied Transition
  • maryka
    To be fair, I'm not sure the commissaire explained to you guys that we would be finishing after your race, so I suspect a lot of guys were unaware that we were still racing (their being in the ecstasy of the after-sprint and all that). They did move when we shouted, a few of them quite comically in fact. :lol:

I think the ambulance arrived after we were finished (which was within 10 min of your race ending, so I doubt the ambulance got there before that). If the guy was seriously injured enough to require an ambulance ASAP, then they should have stopped our race as soon as it arrived. He was definitely out cold at the time of the crash but not sure what state he was in 10 min later.

The two races went fine I thought, your group overtook us mostly ok as we kept to the right, except a few guys decided to cut into the right and cut us up which wasn't cool. It's always tricky when you have more than one race on the circuit, but the alternatives for us were either not having a race at all, or having to race with the E/1/2/3s which would not have been that enjoyable either.

It's just a shame that there was the crash at the end. But that's life, there was a big crash in one of the women's races at Crystal Palace this summer that caused all 3 races there (E/1/2, 3/4, and our women's race) to be shortened and to run on a shortened course. So it happens.
  • crashes are pretty common in cat4. a big bunch of us came down in last saturday's (28th aug) at hillingdon, i'd managed to slow down enough by the time i reached the bodies and bikes to only fall at low speed, managed to wreck the tyres by slamming on the brakes tho.

combination of inexperience and over enthusiasm that leads people to sprint even when they are back in 30th place. i have also noticed a few riders who are a little clueless at group riding, one of whom nearly caused 3 crashes in a single race last time i was there, not bad going for an hour's racing. but practice makes perfect etc...
  • I agree. The first time I raced at Hillingdon was in their winter series and I remember the commissaire said that if you are not in the top 15 coming in to the sprint then to not bother sprinting but don't just stop pedalling.

We all think we're Cavendish after that final turn. lol
    Specialized Epic
    Specialized Enduro
    Specialzied Transition
  • I agree. The first time I raced at Hillingdon was in their winter series and I remember the commissaire said that if you are not in the top 15 coming in to the sprint then to not bother sprinting but don't just stop pedalling.

We all think we're Cavendish after that final turn. lol
    Specialized Epic
    Specialized Enduro
    Specialzied Transition
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    Thanks for all your concerns. The High Wycombe rider is Adam Brittain and you'll be pleased to know he's okay, beaten up and sore, but nothing broken.

Someone clipped his wheel (I think) and down he went. Following rider had nowhere to go and rode straight over his head. It was very worrying at the time as Adam didn't move for a long time, and there were concerns of serious neck/head injuries, although at no time did he lose conciousness. He suffered a very nasty and deep wound to the back of his head, which they couldn't stop bleeding, plus another on the side, plus all the usual road rash on his arms, shoulder, hip etc etc.

The ambulance carted him off to Hillingdon hospital and after a very long wait and extensive x-rays his head was stitched up, arms bandaged up and sent on his way. He got out of hospital at 9.30pm ish.

Bike mostly okay - damaged Sti, slight tear in the saddle. However his helmet is toast - major dent in the side of it from what may have been a pedal impact, but the medics cut the straps to remove it anyway. Shirt and shorts trashed. Shoes badly scuffed.

Have to say the First Aider (Agnes?) plus another woman attending were very good. Many thanks to them both.

Oh, and I think my daughter was 4th. Maybe. She came round the last bend and for reasons she can't explain found herself near the front. Everyone seemed to pick the pace up so she thought she'd do the same only to realise that they were now very near the finish line. No idea what to do, she just kept going and got pipped on the line by a Rapha rider. Maryka may have caught her too, not sure. She's never contested a sprint before, clueless (daughter, not Maryka!) :o

Bit tough for one of the other Wycombe women riders, Karla Boddy who is Adam's partner. She came round the corner to see him laying there, blood running. She packed there and then. She was going well too, and would have been up there at the finish. Next time.
  • jibberjim
    proto wrote:
    Everyone seemed to pick the pace up so she thought she'd do the same only to realise that they were now very near the finish line. No idea what to do, she just kept going and got pipped on the line by a Rapha rider. Maryka may have caught her too, not sure. She's never contested a sprint before, clueless (daughter, not Maryka!) :o.

Thanks for the update on the Rider!

Looks to me like Maryka didn't come past:

phoca_thumb_l_londchps224.jpg (from London Cyclesport)

Claire (the Rapha rider) and Maryka are both pretty good sprinters who often win at Palace and Hog Hill, and whilst their sprint was a little disrupted by the crash and the off-roading by another rider it's good to be up there.

John Leitch in december will be running some womens race training days at Hillingdon, teach bunch riding, have mini races etc. to learn what's going on. I'd really recommend that to any newbie rider - it's a shame their aren't more similar options for men. Especially as normally womens races are on much tougher circuits where new races will often get dropped quite easily.[/img]
  • Glad to hear it wasn't as bad as we thought for Adam. check with the helmet manufacturer as some have a crash replacement system.
    Specialized Epic
    Specialized Enduro
    Specialzied Transition
  • Toks
    edited September 2010
    Cutmill Road Race 3rd Cats 12.09.2010

It doesn’t matter how fit or how much training you do, come race time, it’s a good idea to bring the following – drinks bottle and, most importantly, your helmet. I brought neither! Thankfully I was provided with a spare bottle from a friend and a very disapproving spectator loaned me his Giro helmet. Somewhat humbled by their generosity and embarrassed by my own failure to prepare properly for the race I spent the first couple of laps mid to 2/3rds back collecting my thoughts.

Approximately sixty of us (Inc two women) compressed, extended and snaked our way around the very testing but sunny Cutmill Circuit; lots of familiar faces were present throughout the bunch. One in particular I had only seen in pictures so it was cool to finally meet Kingston Wheeler’s, Maryka. Up front Rob (ACC) and Toby (ACC) were riding well, and Rob even found himself off the front in the first tentative break of the day. Trading places is the name of the game with team mates so I rolled forward into the top 20 just as rolled back to recover from his efforts

A failure to lock down gaps soon had me returning from whence I came. You can quite literally have a race within a race sometimes. Warning to self, burning matches just to maintain a good position - not good. Somewhat annoyed with myself, as we began the 3rd ascension of the main climb I took advantage of the lull in pace and surged to the very front alongside Jim (Kingston Wheelers, Rob Jefferies (London Dynamo and Toby (Addiscombe).

The climb starts off quite gently but then ramps up unevenly - twice before the finish line; oh and just for good measure after a slight plateau it ramps up third time. Beyond this the 7 mile circuit features fast long descents punctuated with some flat bits and a couple of 'bridgeque' rises. Each of the seven laps required complete concentration – last years winter had clearly increased the pot holes count.

I managed a handful of attacks on laps 3, 4, 5. I wasn’t alone, others also tried soft, hard and sneaky attacks but to no avail. The Pac men snapped us up. At once point I thought myself Jim (Kingston Wheelers) and a couple of other guys had a ‘freedom pass’ it but without London Dynamo and other clubs featured nobody was going anywhere. Unless of course…on the bell lap a Dynamo got a bit of a gap on the climb - probably had 20secs by the time our wearily somewhat depleted bunch got to the top of the climb.

Now those of you that are not newbie racers have all been in this position before. Some guy is well within view just off the front. You could pull him back but the question is (a) you’re tired and it might be the effort that puts you out of the race (b) you may just ensure other get the benefit. Like a Priemiership football team destined for ‘relegation’ we pondered in a spectaculary unorganised fashion. The gap was enough and he took the win. The best loosers competition was a drawn out affair. I positioned myself badly and had to settle for a place just inside the top 15. No worries Toby (Addiscombe) claimed 2nd spot. Job done for ACC? Well almost :D
  • jibberjim
    I was there too! My first chance of meeting Toks, and my first race for a few months where the training had not been going well, with a holiday and an illness, but I turned up anyway.

Cutmill really doesn't suit me, I don't know why but something about the hill up to the finish is just wrong. I can't get over the steep bit and drop 10-15 places on it every time, even against people I would normally drop comfortably on a hill - and once I lose the places on that bit, getting them back on the less steep bits become a pain as I can't get round everyone.

I hung around mid bunch up the hill the first time, moved to the front before the hard left hander and then to the front up the short sharp hill out of sands (which I really like, the smooth surface helps I think) A small group of 3 complete with a dynamo had popped off, and concious of what happened in the last race at cutmill I did (3 man break rode the whole race away comfortably), and with the huge numbers of dynamo in the race I decided to just kill it there and then and took off down the hill after them.

Lap 2, I let a guy with CycleStore advertising (whoever they are) just ride away from me at 2nd wheel. It took him a good minute to look back, or even realise he had a gap, but he took the bait and rode off, I figured one guy would be a good target for joining later, or would at least make others work chasing.

No-one did, or even really much of an attempt to bridge up to him, and he quickly got a big gap and the Porsche Lead Car 2 arrived in front of the bunch and I felt guilty and started to chase. With the help of a Norwood Paragon guy we actually got him back in sight in no time at all with a very fast descent (Sorry Maryka, it was me hammering it down the hill!). It was a little annoying to have 3 Dynamo next in the line and never coming through, but fair enough with 8 riders in the race, they needed to save some matches.

Not much happened, other than team mates Andy's first go which I tried to block a bit for but the bunch were chasing anything with a wheeler in, well actually pretty much everything. With 3 1/2 laps to go I decided it was time to have a few serious goes, mostly down the descent either up to other proto-breaks or just on my own, I always got a reasonable gap for a start, but I generally dropped any companions I took with me and anytime I looked over my shoulder everyone was coming after me - generally in twos and threes so I was obviously causing pain so one aim done (The skinsuit helped here!) but I was on a very tight leash.

After one go I said "I'm not even allowed 30 yards" to the Norwood guy who was helping in the chase before (Paul McGuigan I believe) and he said "your reputation obviously proceeds you Jim" This confused me, this is only my 3rd race of the year in the south east and my results were last in bunch twice and dropped the other time. Maybe they heard about my seasons glory of the 1 point I got in the Team Trial in Wales back in June?

With 2 to go, Toks passed me just before the short hill after the descent and encouraged me to come with him - I found I had no legs at all here and couldn't go with him, although I tried, cramping a little on a previous attack took some jump out of my legs. Or maybe it was the 2 hour hard ride I did yesterday.

Another couple of tries down the hill - not so much in expectation, but I thought it might just have a chance, and if not it would at least soften the bunch up a little more for Andy. And he appeared and went off on an attack, got a reasonable gap and I let a dynamo and another get away to join him after the sharp bend nearest the HQ, Good I thought, the strongest team is there, Andy is looking good and the bunch is tired. Unfortunately though 2 dynamos then decided to chase the break down, Andy kept his gap but the rest were pulled back but in a strung out line. I explained - not very politely - that the Dynamo should maybe not chase each other down and just one of them should go. They did, but it was all too late really and the bunch were back on Andy. I'd lost some places with this discussion and attacks and was a long way back for the hill.

Made worse of course because I can't climb it. Over the top though I'd finally got back to the front and decided I was going to help chase to bring the Dynamo who by now was off away alone. Hard down the hill, round the sharp corner, the dynamo still in site but with an attack going up the hill I lost the front of the group and didn't regain it until the long straight again.

I did my best to chase, but no-one would come through, the three Addiscombe on my wheel could've easily sacrificed two guys, I didn't need much help. I sat up at the bottom in disgust (and tiredness), which in retrospect was a mistake. I should've just carried on alone. The Addiscombe then let a strong Lewes guy off the front, and again I sprinted to the front to pull him back (asking the Addiscombe and rest of the bunch as I passed why they were content to be racing for second?)

I then rode up the hill pretty easily, frustrated, just with a couple of efforts as it looked as if the commissaires car was going to overtake me. I wouldn't've done very well even if I'd tried and hadn't just done 10 minutes over threshold chasing. And so it was I rolled in last in the bunch again. A good consistent result for me.

Stats for any weird person interested.
    Duration:  	2:15:25 (2:15:29)
    TSS:       	203.4 (intensity factor 0.949)
    Norm Power:	304
    VI:        	1.2
    Distance:  	80.884 km
    Elev Gain:    1108 m
    					 Min	 Max	Avg
    Power:       	  0	1200	252 	watts
    Heart Rate:  	101	 172	155 	bpm
    Speed:       	  0	72.9	35.8	kph

• maryka
    I was there too but sadly biting off way more than I could chew -- I'd forgotten how fast the descents were on that course with a tailwind no less! :shock: So with 400km already in my legs this week -- nearly 700 TSS -- I was risking falling off the back in this race right from the start. Which I did a couple of times, and got back on, but at the top of the hill on lap 3 my legs and brain chimed together "enough' and that was that. Rode around the other way to offer some support to KW teammates Jibberjim and AndyL and was pleased to see the latter end up with 6th place, a good result for him that's been threatening for a while. I suspect those top 10s will start piling up a bit now...

As for Jim, well... it's not a race if he's not rolling in at the back of the field and complaining about others not working enough! :lol: Next week I'm in Leicestershire for the final women's road race of the season and he'll be at Rusper I suspect. I'll probably come home to something crazy like a solo break for half the race and his crossing the line arms aloft!

Nice to meet you Toks. Definitely a race of attrition today as so many went out the back (even before I did) so well done to hang in there with your three guys and get the bunch sprint win.
  • Toks
    jibberjim wrote:
    I did my best to chase, but no-one would come through, the three Addiscombe on my wheel could've easily sacrificed two guys, I didn't need much help. I sat up at the bottom in disgust (and tiredness), which in retrospect was a mistake. I should've just carried on alone. The Addiscombe then let a strong Lewes guy off the front, and again I sprinted to the front to pull him back (asking the Addiscombe and rest of the bunch as I passed why they were content to be racing for second?)
    As you know I had put in almost half a dozen digs so I didn't fancy tying to pull back the Dynamo guy and then not have the energy enough to recover for the climb. If it was a flat finish I would've done. Rob had only just got back from holiday and was literally his 3rd or 4th ride and Toby is our sprinter. Unfortunately we don't tend to ride race together very often so tend not to have a plan. I maybe wrong but you appeared to be attacking off the front while sat on or very close to the front - this will always send alarm bells to the rest of the bunch. Try your attack from a bit further back.

Additionally you seem to be pulling the bunch along a little bit too much when perhaps you could've saved a bit more energy waited for others to establish moves and bridged across. Also, I'm guilty of this too - attacking on the descent is always a hard thing to make stick since everyone has momentum. Attacking on or before climbs is predictable but eventually works as the Dynamo guy proved. No worries, you're clearly a stronger 3rd cat rider and success will come soon I'm sure :D
  • jibberjim
    Toks wrote:
    As you know I had put in almost half a dozen digs so I didn't fancy tying to pull back the Dynamo guy and then not have the energy enough to recover for the climb.

I know, and I can understand everyones motive - but I just don't get wanting to race for first loser, when actual first is still up for grabs. It wasn't just addiscombe, you were just all nicely together and positioned at the front so an easy target for abuse :) Meudon and others also still had two left. Addiscombe got good results, and had tried, so I'm not really having a go - just confused about not wanting to win, but I do undertsand!
    toks wrote:
    Attacking on or before climbs is predictable but eventually works as the Dynamo guy proved. No worries, you're clearly a stronger 3rd cat rider and success will come soon I'm sure :D

I may well go back to just 2/3's unless I can get a few more wheelers out for straight 3rds races. Even the stronger bunch more softened up is better for me I think.
  • Are you doing the Rusper 2/3 this weekend coming?
  • jibberjim
    tomb8555 wrote:
    Are you doing the Rusper 2/3 this weekend coming?

Not decided if I'll do the 2/3 or 3 or nothing at all may depend on what team mates decide to race.
  • jibberjim
    Rusper 3rd cat race.

was told by my bike mechanic [*] that I wasn't allowed to have a race where I moaned after, and I wasn't allowed to not get a result...

6 Wheelers lined up at the start, Me, Andy L, James, Harry, Robin Kirk and Ed F in his first road race. I didn't learn this until the end of the race, as Robin was in disguise in plain kit.

We were told the neutralized section was going to be short, but some how it lasted over 6 minutes of downhill and I was freezing, so far from waiting I decided to go straight away, more to warm up than anything else. 1 lap and 20 minutes later I'd been out solo alone the whole time. I'd been trying to tell myself to take it easy. Team mate Andy L had already told me I'd be all my own on this longer than usual 3rd cat race if I went off from the gun. I got warm though, but unfortunately no-one decided to bridge up to me and when the bunch caught me they were all together.

I instantly went with the next attack, a single dynamo, but we were quickly joined by 5 others, we worked well but only for about 6 minutes before the bunch arrived. The next attack stuck though, me and 6 guys, a Dynamo, a Redhill, an Addiscombe, a Prologue, a twickenham and a guy in plain kit...

This was a great group, I knew the Dynamo was strong, I knew the twickenham guy was strong (he was in the 4 up group in the handicap report earlier in the year) so I felt sure it was going to stick.

We worked well, after awhile though I looked back to see another wheeler arriving, Andy Lack had bridged up! He was looking a little rough from the effort, but didn't take him long to be joining in the big efforts.

We were working really well, but rarely got given gaps, and when we did we were always told "1 minute", which was a little disappointing considering how much more we had to do.

With just over 2 laps to go, on the little hill out of Capel up to the A24, I dropped my chain on the inside, I couldn't get it on whilst moving, and after stopping, putting it on and getting going again the group had gone. It had only taken me 15 seconds, but I could never close it back. This was a downhill headwind section and the group was just working too well, by the time I got up the finishing hill with the cars just getting further away I knew I didn't have the legs to close.

I sat up, waited for the bunch, which took an age to arrive, the gap was over 2 minutes at this point and I met a group of 8 and not a bunch. Teammate Ed F in his first race was there smiling away and looked completely comfortable. I was now back into the role I'm much more suited to than being in the break, blocking for a Wheeler down the road and annoying the rest of the bunch.

Up the hill where I'd dropped the chain the lap before, Ed F attacked, and I heard a comment that "he does that every lap" and I made a mental note to tell him to save himself on the final lap as the descent after that just didn't suit the long solo effort.

I never got a chance though and after a long neutralised wait due to a car boot sale and the break learning they had a 2 1/2 minute gap we raced the last half lap with Ed F going off there and getting a gap, which he held to the base of the final hill. It didn't seem to hurt him much though as I was totally boxed in riding up slowly watching the action unfold ahead and Ed F again disappeared down the road getting a big gap on most of the field. Unfortunately my legs were beginning to complain about my earlier efforts which is why I was not able to get a good position, but at the top of the hill I suddenly got a gap and with 400m to go I started going after Ed F and 4 guys (spread out) who had quite a big gap on the rest of the field.

My jump wasn't good enough though and I brought 2 guys with me, I caught all but Ed F and a guy who just pipped him on the line, but the 2 guys both jumped me. So I think I was 12th, another 0 point effort, so about the right position for me, I know my place.

Good team result with 3 wheelers in the top 10, typical result for me.

I failed my bike mechanic though.

Power for the race up until I lost the break.
    Duration:  	1:27:33
    Norm Power:	318
    VI:        	1.06
    Distance:  	53.09 km
    Grade:     	0.1 %  (31 m)
    					Min	Max	Avg
    Power:       	  0	 1310	300 	watts
    Heart Rate:  	113	  174	163 	bpm
    Speed:       	  0	   74	36.4 	kph

Power for the whole race
    Duration:  	2:27:59
    Norm Power:	298
    VI:        	1.16
    Distance:  	87.27 km
    					Min	Max	Avg
    Power:       	  0	 1310	257 	watts
    Heart Rate:  	 77	  175	155 	bpm
    Speed:       	  0	 74.1	35.4 	kph

[*] Sometimes she's also known as my wife.