The monday morning game.....

gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
The name of the game is: "Where's my coffee, dammit...."

For me:

Espresso - usually home made with either cohiba or illy coffee freshly ground.

At work a grande skinny latte from Costa acorss the road.....I would happily support an independant coffee house, if there was one here, but work near a mall complex!

Whats your coffee and where do you go?!

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    Nescafe instant

White

Maybe one sugar, maybe none.....two today.

Blue mug

The kitchen down the other end of the office

(you do know it's Tuesday?)
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    I would love to say this place.

http://www.dose-espresso.com/about.html

It's just around the corner and makes lovely coffee.

However, cost me about 5 quids for a latte 'n croissant, so not anymore. :shock:

Back to Pret A Manger for me, Latte to go please :)
  • gtvlusso

(you do know it's Tuesday?)

It is a blur.....I just need coffee today after being up at 2am, 4am, 5am and then 6am....
  • Nescafe in a mug with a picture of a bike on it. Or a Costa skinny latte, we have one in-house at my office, it is 10 metres from my desk...I try to resist though.
  • R_T_A
    R_T_A Posts: 488
    I brought in a large cafetiere into the office after extortionate price hike in the canteen.

Now I have people chipping in with a bag of coffee so they can have a cup.

Brazilian Arabica is my preferred, but anything that slaps me round the face is a goody :twisted:
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • I'm on my 4th mug of tea this morning. Coffee kicks you awake, tea caresses you awake - that's my theory anyway.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Large Costa latte (we have one onsite), followed by can of diet coke, sorts out your caffine needs for the morning.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    When I was having to go through Cardiff each morning it was a large Americano from Coffee #1 (easily the best high street coffee IMHO, but Wales only? I don't know.

Now it's cafetierre at home (currently on some WONDERFUL cuban coffee that Mrs H bought me for my birthday last week) but normally Lavazza.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Stove-top espresso machine, both at home then at work. At home we favour a French blend, at work I go with the Fairtrade Espresso. Must go to kitchen now.
  • Thee's a couple of Coffee #1s in Bristol, i agree with the quality comment.

My habit is a cup of green tea at home, to caress me awake a la depfordmarmoset, followed by Illy coffee from the onsite cart at work. Two small americanos over the first hour or so ease me into the day nicely.
  • to caress me awake a la depfordmarmoset

Wait, do you guys have something to tell us? Should I be buying a new hat?
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Lavazza Gold, or maybe Illy if I'm feeling rich, in a Chemex - one at home and one at work 'cos we don't like the free coffee or want to pay 40 bazillion dollars for mediocre stuff.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    A proper coffee from my cafetiere once a day; then following that one or two instants to try to clear out the proper coffee sludge then mostly tea!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Nescafe Gold, in a Thermos, taken to work. Slap in the face for the morning. Tea for a gentle caress in the afternoon (I like that description DM) :)
  • You guys do realise you're just feeding the addiction don't you? :wink:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6422279.stm

But seriously, Latte? Yuck!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXMapqiDsqs&feature=search

PP
    People that make generalisations are all morons.

Target free since 2011.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,485
    Rolf F wrote:
    A proper coffee from my cafetiere once a day; then following that one or two instants to try to clear out the proper coffee sludge then mostly tea!

This,made nice and strong, but without the instant chasers. Then builders' tea (except no sugar) or occasionally green/fruit tea depending on the mood, and whether there is milk in the fridge. At home, when doing DIY, gallons of strong tea.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    One cup of tea when I get to work and very occasionally another in the afternoon.

I couple of years ago I quite caffeine for a while and it's amazing the difference it makes. I like a cup of tea, but I generally try to avoide too much caffeine (although sometimes a full fat coke is required).
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Monmouth, nothing else comes close.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    itboffin wrote:

there are a lot of cyclists I see outside there who'd agree with that...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I am trying to find the best mocha (I know, I know, it's not real coffee etc) in Soho. I think Sacred on Ganton Street is currently winning, though Flat White and the Nordic Bakery are up there too. The Breakfast Club and Yumchaa are a bit too strong for a wuss like me, as is Pret a Manger and Costa. Starbucks mocha on its own is understrength and dull, so you have to add cream, vanilla and nutmeg (or at least I do) to make it nom, and that's even less like a proper coffee!

Eat, the sandwich chain, do the best corporate mocha.
  • When I'm working from home, do enjoy making my own cafetiere first thing and again in the afternoon. The Fairtrade is pretty good but some of the own brand supermarket stuff is not so bad either and I'm not fussy...French, Italian, African, South American...just what happens to end up in the trolley.

When at work, I'm chain whore and both Starbucks and Cafe Nero get hit.

@Biondino - have you tried http://www.fernandezandwells.com/beak.php

Their Portuguese custard tarts are awesome as is their charcuterie place round the corner!
    "Come at the king, you best not miss." - Omar, The Wire

FCN 4: Willier Izoard XP
    FCN 7: GT Legato 4.0

*GAME* competitor
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    itboffin wrote:

The descent into the town is quite good, yes, but it's not a very exciting place.

Wrong Monmouth?

Anyway, on-topic - I had a brief period a few years ago when I had one of those Bialetti espresso-maker things at work. It could make 6 espressos in one go. I'd drink three of them before 8AM, and the remaining 3 before 9AM. If I didn't have anything to eat then the effect was a little worrying.

Nowadays I just drink the Clipper fair trade instant stuff. Small cup, one heaped teaspoon, no milk, no sugar. Went caffeine free for a couple of months at the beginning of the year and thinking of doing it again - my consumption is back up to 4 or 5 a day now, which is not good.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    @Biondino - have you tried http://www.fernandezandwells.com/beak.php

Their Portuguese custard tarts are awesome as is their charcuterie place round the corner!

I think I have tried them but I can't actually remember what it was like!

I had a mocha at Flat White this lunchtime and it was magnificent, if tiny!
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    itboffin wrote:

Well I can't very well disagree with this as I was there this morning /coffeeclique
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Large black americano with extra shot (6 shots) from cafe fratelli on berkeley street, then nespresso coffees when I feel like them, which is generally not until about now.

Of the corporate chains, EAT do the best americano.

Milk = eww.
  • FeynmanC
    FeynmanC Posts: 649
    I don't do coffee or tea (or coca cola, or anything caffine).

To most people this is :shock:

However, when I do have a pro-plus or one of my migrane tablets it does mean I trip my tits off! :lol:
    us0.png
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    #21 strong from the machine in the work kitchen.
    one e-number away from gravy.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    PS i thought this thread was about coffee, what's all this "americano" stuff?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,485
    I know - an americano with extra shots? So that's a coffee with too much water in it, then more coffee added to make it back into proper coffee :?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • gtvlusso
    will3 wrote:
    PS i thought this thread was about coffee, what's all this "americano" stuff?

Americanos; blue jeans and chino's aaaahh whoa whoa Amercanos.