Slipping Trailgators

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,098
edited September 2010 in Family & kids cycling forum
Anyone got a cure for Trailgators that keep slipping on the front of the kids' bikes?

We've just installed ours, and whilst they are great, I had to take tools with me to keep adjusting them!!!!

The problem is that the unit attached to the kids' bikes keeps slipping out of alignment, so they end up 'on the wonk' - I've tried tightening the brackets (WHY are they not covered in plastic, etc??? to give more grip???) - I've covered the kids' head tubes in tape to protect them, might that be the issue?

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    Hmm...

Nope. I haven't had that issue. I covered the head tube with tape (sorta like really wide electrical tape). Pretty much just a single later - double in a few spots. Put the U-bolts on the way they seemed to fit best. Tightened a bit. Attached to my bike. Tightened a LOT. They haven't moved.

What tape have you used? Perhaps that is the issue, as you've suggested?
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Sounds like I used the same tape as you - electrical tape (blue for my boy's (blue) bike, red for my girl's (pink) machine!!!)

It may be that I need to tighten the units more - I was concerned about damaging the head tube so didn't over-do it.

Didn't help that the seat pillar on my bike kept twisting also, due to the pressure from the attached bike!!!!

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • baudman
    Seat post wouldn't help.

I, too, didn't want to damage my girl's bike's headtube. But then... I thought about her safety for a tick. I then nipped it up even more ;)

Let us know how it goes.
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • unseenuk
    unseenuk Posts: 10
    I've just bought and test fitted the trailgator..

I have to say once it's tightened up it seems to be quite stable... Only taken it out for a quick brief ride to make sure it was all ok and to get used to towing (which is wierd at first!)

Just to add to the questions, anyone know if it's ok to mount the bracket on my bike about an inch up from the top of the seat tube? Not sure if that makes sense but on the TG instructions it shows it resting on the frame, but to get past my rear rack I had to lift it about an inch.
    Specialized Crosstrail - Commuter/Everyday
  • baudman
    I've mounted mine up a tad too.

I suppose, just ensure you have a nice strong seatpost (steel would be good) and that it extends a good way down into the seat tube.

Oh... and used ours this morning for the first time in a few weeks. Did a quick check of everything beforehand. All rosy.
  • dmch2
    dmch2 Posts: 731
    You do need to tighten it a lot, the cheap all in one spanners are strong enough. I had to resort to using a socket set.

I also split a bit of car windscreen washer hose to go between the bracket and my daughter's bike to protect it.
    2010 Trek 1.5 Road - swissstop green, conti GP4000S
    2004 Marin Muirwoods Hybrid