Riding like you mean it!

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
For all those who questioned my 'holding 19-20mph' comment, look at what you have wrought!

normal_planet_hulk.jpg

I am The Power Awesome!

Left my house at 7.45am I got to work at 9.08am

I reckon that is 1hr23mins!

Had a banana before I left and water with electrolyte powder in it. The ride from South Wimbledon tube was straight up rapid. Saw nothing an no one on a bike until Balham. From Balham to Clapham South I was tailed by a guy on a white single speed who overtook me as the road dipped downhill before Balham hill. I waited. Waited. Waited some more until the 'mouth' of the uphill bit, pulled wide as we entered the bus lane, hit 26mph and dropped him like thunder drops rain. Once at the top I looked behind, he was only a quarter of the way up. I find something quite poetic about being dropped by a large-could-be-called-fat-man up a road that has 'Hill' in its title.

Met my mate Dave on route between Clapham Common and Clapham North. Had a nice chat, said to him I had to go as I have a meeting at 9.30 and then, what can only be described as
balls out dangling behind you rapid

Powered towards London Bridge. Took a breather and dropped to 15mph through to Aldgate and then rocked my way to the flyover that leads to Stratford. Coming off the flyover there were two police officers with a speed gun, as I approached at 31.3mph and slowing for the red lights I asked "How fast was I going?"

Past Stratford-roundabout-junction-city-centre it was a sheer and unbridled 'slobberknocker' (YES, a slobber-knocker) to Ilford and then Goodmayes, up Barley Lane and arriving at work to what was my fastest commute yet!

I didn't RLJ. This route is 20miles long.

So good was my commute, so superb I feel physically, so epic and enjoyable was my commute this needed its own thread!
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• DCowling
    DCowling Posts: 769
    The planets were aligned
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Not bad. Now break an hour.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    There'll be a headwind on the journey home. It's called 'balance'. :wink:
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    DCowling wrote:
    The planets were aligned

Due to the gravational pull of his mahoosive butt :D
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Aidy
    Cafewanda wrote:
    There'll be a headwind on the journey home. It's called 'balance'. :wink:

It does look like there was a pretty decent tailwind in that direction, doesn't it? :)

tailwind.png
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    There was a headwind on Romford road as there was in Ilford heading towards Goodmayes. When I got there.

Like the Hulk, I have over-developed thigh muscles, if enraged i think I could beat Cavendish in a sprint, couldn't out climb Jon in the mountains though, that's impossible.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • richred_uk
    richred_uk Posts: 167
    and on the way home DDD will be back to riding like

bruce_banner_hulk.jpg

:lol:
  • Aidy
    So. 20 miles, in 1 hour 23 minutes.14.5mph.

Given the tailwind was 17mph. He was actually going so slowly as to be going backwards.
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    So good was my commute, so superb I feel physically, so epic and enjoyable was my commute this needed its own thread!

Please, please, please comment in this thread 5 minutes after you get home tonight :P

If you break 1h 45m you will be going well :twisted:

I had the wind as a headwind this morning and I was having to pedal on downhills :roll:
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Shot home for lunch today - almost no elevation difference between home and office but a few hills between 'em.

25% faster on the return leg.

Flip me it's windy out there!
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    There was a headwind on Romford road as there was in Ilford heading towards Goodmayes. When I got there.

Like the Hulk, I have over-developed thigh muscles, if enraged i think I could beat Cavendish in a sprint, couldn't out climb Jon in the mountains though, that's impossible.

What if Cav was enraged as well?

Remember that any tail wind you are going faster than will feel like a headwind; a 10mph tailwind will only feel neutral if you are going at 10mph. Which is one non geographical reason why we always seem to get more headwinds than tailwinds.

I only trust the clouds - and then not completely!
    Faster than a tent.......