Doing a sportive in the wind and rain not my idea of fun!!

mrjinx
mrjinx Posts: 38
Wet and windy weekend forecast and I have the 95 mile Burgess hill rumble to ride.
Should I stay in bed with the wife {Cheryl Cole look-alike} or turn out for a tough 5 hour ride?
its only money

Comments

• well thats a no brainer :shock:
  • well thats a no brainer :shock:
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    mrjinx wrote:
    Wet and windy weekend forecast and I have the 95 mile Burgess hill rumble to ride.
    Should I stay in bed with the wife {Cheryl Cole look-alike} or turn out for a tough 5 hour ride?

You mean she has false teeth, false hair, false personality and can't speak properly?

I'd rather bike 100 miles in a ferocious blizzard with no feedstations :wink:
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    2534david wrote:
    well thats a no brainer :shock:

you've met the real Cheryl Cole as well then?
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • Go on the ride, I'm booked in for a sesh on your wife at half ten. :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Go on the ride, I'm booked in for a sesh on your wife at half ten
    Hahahahahahahahahah
    That really made me chuckle.
    Winners never quit and quitters never win!!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    mrjinx wrote:

Forecast looks OK to me. I'll be Rumbling but then I'm hard :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Go for the sportif. Rain and wind will make you tougher. Cos you sound a bit like a wuss to me...
  • AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    It's more fun when th weather's bad. Worse at the time, but so much better when you're nice and warm afterwards. Worth the suffering.

CC will be keeping the bed nice and warm for you for when you get back. Win-win.
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    mrjinx wrote:

Stay in bed if the weathers bad but then prepare to be miserable all day and you'll keep checking the weather forecasts. The get annoyed when other forumites post that the weather was not as bad as forecasted and they only got the odd shower.

Book up for another sportive and repeat the process with another equally dire forecast. Eventually you will get a favourable forecast and go for it just to be rained on all day.

PS I often dont turn up for events if the weather looks grim.
    Brian B.
  • Casbar
    Casbar Posts: 168
    If their signage is as bad as last time , it doesn't matter if the weather is good or bad as you will get totally lost anyway !!!!!!!!!

Btw it looks like the weather will be better on the weekend , than the last 2 days here

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/ ... ess%20Hill
    exercise.png
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    I did the 67 mile route last year and the signage was fine. One was missing near the end but that was in a built up area so put that down to kids.

Would have been easier if this just said rain then I could make my mind up to. Earlier in the week rain was listed.
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    Here is a link to the Met Office weather for your part of the world for the weekend coming..... http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ ... ather.html
    If you study this twice a day till Sunday you will notice that it will probably change twice a day until Sunday as do all the weather forecasts.
    I know I have sat here looking out the window at the rain coming down and then at the above weather station for my area which tells me it is light cloud and dry all at the same time.
    Please don't be ruled by weather forecasts, there are mainly a job creation scheme set up by the weather folk at the BBC, etc.
    If you need cheering up I can get you a nice Autumn/Winter break here.... http://www.burgauvilladosol.com/property.htm

and the weather forecast for this part of the world looks somewhat more settled at the moment here... http://www.weather-forecast.com/locatio ... sts/latest :lol:
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    MTFU.
  • mrjinx
    Thank for all your advice weather set fine for Sunday so I’m happy.
    Leaving the wife in bed and giving the bike a 5 hour sweaty session instead!
    its only money
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Go on the ride, I'm booked in for a sesh on your wife at half ten. :D

Oh Ballcakes, I'm due to see her at quarter to eleven. Don't go all foreign and do it twice, alright ? :D
  • mrjinx
    she said you were crap!
    its only money
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Did you MTFU, get outa bed with the cheryl Cole lookalike, get yer lycra on, get yer bike out of your garage, and get all wet and sweaty in the great outdoors?
  • mrjinx
    Thanks for asking mate, managed the 92 miler rode, all the climbs overtook some of the semi-pros {they wish} at Ardingly reservoir I’m in the latter part of the 40-49 group and managed the time of …………………5.56 enjoyed the day
    its only money
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    I stayed in bed coz I got a stomach bug the day before. The SRS events are jinxed for me - I've missed 2 through illness, had mechanicals on another two causing DNFs, and the one I did manage to do was a complete wash out... I hope everyone else enjoyed it though. :cry:

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey