Your ultimate commuting machine

Wrath Rob
Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
edited September 2010 in Commuting chat
I've been thinking for a while what my ultimate bike for commuting all year round would be. So far I've got:

Frame: Steel or titanium road frame with mounting holes for mudguards and maybe a rack
Forks: Anything for a road frame that is disc brake compatible
Brakes: Front disk brake (140mm?)
Wheels: Bomb proof wheels (my Mavic Aksiums have lived up to this so far)
Gears: 4 speed, no front deraileur. Why do you need more in London?
Other: Drop handlebars, Time pedals, Charge saddle, frame mounted pump

So, what's yours, or have you seen "my" bike somewhere?
FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.

Comments

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    It's got to be winter-capable for me too, which means clearance for bigger tyres. Definitely got to have rack and guard mounts, and a replaceable headset.

It might be the Genesis CdF for me, but I'm not sure I even need the gears after tackling "the hill" in ~70 GI...

Fairly similar to yours, really.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    I've got mine, Condor Acciaio :). Steel frame, solid components with a good balance of weight/durability, Mavic Ksyrium Elites, bombproof and sealed cartridge bearings to keep the crap out. They've never needed any attention in 2 years, and conti gp4000s all year round for me. I never go larger than 23's whatever the weather. This little beaut does it all, commutes, races, and the odd sportive :). She's truly the queen of bikes.
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    edited August 2010
    I'd need something for good weather and something for bad.

Good weather: Cervelo California with Di2 and appropriate kit.

Bad weather: Civia Bryant Alfine; 35mm tyre clearance, alfine 8 speed, gates carbon drive, disc brakes, full guards, front and rear racks, drops. If only it was titanium instead of steel....
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Enough clearance for snow tyres, too? (Would need to in my case if I'm to go through the Park.) Have you seen Roastie's Ti bike?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Zephr
    Zephr Posts: 60
    helicopter.
    FCN 11. When you hear the buzz of the nobblies, you know youve been scalped.
  • cjcp wrote:
    Enough clearance for snow tyres, too? (Would need to in my case if I'm to go through the Park.) Have you seen Roastie's Ti bike?

good clearances do help, "Big Green" takes 38mm with ease plus mudguards and is quite good in snow and ice.

4255184768_e979bff961_z.jpg

for my ideal commuter? I think i'd be after simple cable disc brakes, and good clearances for tires + guards.

solid frame and probably drops if only so one could hide a bit more from the wind.
  • ndru
    ndru Posts: 382
    Bakfiets Cargobike Long because:
    1)bulletproof tyres (schwalbe maratons)
    2)full mudguards, rack, hub dynamo powered lights
    3) hub gears(good for when it rains and in the winter)
    4) fully enclosed chain (so you don't get your trousers dirty when on your way to the office)
    5) big cargo compartment to pick up your kids when coming back from work
    6) sit up an beg - comfortable riding position
    7) very safe - people usually SEE you and if they try to door you... well they better set some money aside for new door
    8) built in lock plus 100lbs of weight plus distinctive appearance make this bike not very attractive to thieves.

EDIT - oh and it will last at least 30 years
  • R_T_A
    R_T_A Posts: 488
    riding a velociraptor, on a hoverboard.

Hmmm - combining future technology with the retro-styling of a killing machine.

Why has no one thought of this before?
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    Something that requires the minimum of maintenance and is unlikely to get nicked. Sounds like hub gears, drive belt instead of chain, hub dynamo, full guards, rack. Ti would be good for longevity but probably too expensive for a commuter so either steel or aluminium. And flat bars.
  • Something that requires the minimum of maintenance and is unlikely to get nicked. Sounds like hub gears, drive belt instead of chain, hub dynamo, full guards, rack. Ti would be good for longevity but probably too expensive for a commuter so either steel or aluminium. And flat bars.

+1 but with drops.
  • tiny_pens
    tiny_pens Posts: 293
    Asprilla wrote:
    Bad weather: Civia Bryant Alfine; 35mm tyre clearance, alfine 8 speed, gates carbon drive, disc brakes, full guards, front and rear racks, drops. If only it was titanium instead of steel....

+1

I just wish I could find a UK supplier
  • asprilla
    Something that requires the minimum of maintenance and is unlikely to get nicked. Sounds like hub gears, drive belt instead of chain, hub dynamo, full guards, rack. Ti would be good for longevity but probably too expensive for a commuter so either steel or aluminium. And flat bars.

+1 but with drops.

I give you the Civia Bryant Alfine

http://www.civiacycles.com/bikes/bryant/

http://www.ecovelo.info/2010/01/03/shor ... ia-bryant/

No euro distributor or retailers so I'm just waiting for one of their US retailers to get stock adn then one will be winging it's way across the pond,
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • tiny_pens wrote:

+1

You know what, I've never heard of these before. If there was a UK supplier I think I would buy one straight away. Is there no belt drive Alfine bike with drops available in the UK?
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Boris bike

london-cycle-hire-boris-bikes-0.jpg
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    edited August 2010

+1

or a T-Rex in a F15
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • asprilla
    tiny_pens wrote:

+1

You know what, I've never heard of these before. If there was a UK supplier I think I would buy one straight away. Is there no belt drive Alfine bike with drops available in the UK?

Not that I've been able to find. There are quite a few in the US and Canada but even those who distribute to europe don't bring these models over. Norko do one as wall, but only for the North american market.

Sucks to be us.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,486
    There's a niche there for an enterprising person.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590

+1 but with drops
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    FRPXTISPORT2_P1.jpg

Or

1250692242765-mxv9ebrhbxz5-798-75.jpg
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863

I'm with you on the concept, but not the execution.

Belt drive, fixed gear, drops, mudguards. Fittings for rack, if needed (havn't yet).

I'd pass on the dynamo, I think, unless it were on a "winter wheel". I'd prefer not to have it on the bike year round. Agree on the Ti=nice, Steel=realistic! I'd not choose Al.

Oh, and drops (or possibly bullhorns)... definitely not flats for me: too many hours spent pushing into strong south-westerlies, or sprinting for a train.

Cheers,
    W.
  • DonDaddyD
    What wroung with alu'?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    tiny_pens wrote:

+1

Cotic do a flat bar Alfine or a SS with drops
    I bought a SS and fitted my own Alfine
    A 1/8" chain lasts for 6 months commuting and is cheap n easy to replace
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    What wroung with alu'?

Its not "trendy" at the moment. A bit mass-produced and derivative. There'll be an aluminium resurgence in a few years, when you'll be told that they are amazingly stiff and light and economical, and everyone will slag off carbon. People will forget the horrible BSO's and bone-shaker stiff cheapo frames and proclaim it as a wonder material that all bikes should still be made from. Possibly.
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    I already own my ultimate commuter bike.

Niner WFO, Dorado Fork, KH Freeride Unicylce rims and suspension tuned to pedal like a race bike. Big Apple Tyres.

I take most racers off the line, but can hop curbs at 30mph, drop flights of stairs, and most importantly when mr white van pulls out in front of me I have Formula The One brakes on 203mm disks connected to 2.4" tyres. I can drop speed an outmanoeuvre any bike out there in commuter land.

Sure my bike is twice as heavy, but I am doing this for fitness and when Mr White Van comes, I am very glad to have all the gadgets to keep me safe.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Probably Genesis Day one Alfine.

Drop bars, discs, steel frame, guard and rack mountings, and room for cross tyres.

If I could afford a bike just for commuting it would probably be this, with a hub dynamo.

I do worry though that all the things that make a good commuter, slow me down.

So I suppose my ideal bike for my commute would be something from the pro tour with hard as nails wheels. Ridley Noah?
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • DonDaddyD
    MatHammond wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    What wroung with alu'?

Its not "trendy" at the moment. A bit mass-produced and derivative. There'll be an aluminium resurgence in a few years, when you'll be told that they are amazingly stiff and light and economical, and everyone will slag off carbon. People will forget the horrible BSO's and bone-shaker stiff cheapo frames and proclaim it as a wonder material that all bikes should still be made from. Possibly.

I agree,

However I'm a child of the alu generation, I think. I'm 28 and had 2 steel bikes but really remembering the emergence of alu even the cheapo stuff being lighter than cheapo steel.

I want Titanium because I've always loved the stuff, even before my Uni-jeweller days.
    Food Chain number = 4

• tiny_pens
    tiny_pens Posts: 293
    vorsprung wrote:
    Cotic do a flat bar Alfine or a SS with drops
    I bought a SS and fitted my own Alfine
    A 1/8" chain lasts for 6 months commuting and is cheap n easy to replace

Nice but for some reason I just want a belt. Its for the same reason that I buy into the whole fixed / single speed side of things. For me with gears, most of my maintenance is on the chain keeping it lubricated and washing the sand off. Forget the gears i just want rid of the chain. :)

I wonder if I ask nicely whether they might do a belt version for me?
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Prawny, that Genesis looks pretty good and ticks my boxes

http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/gear-news/ ... /5370.html
    Price for this steel-framed beast is slated as £999, making it CycleScheme affordable and an attractive, durable prospect for the daily commute. It is expected to be on sale by autumn 2010.

Read more: http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/gear-news/ ... z0xWTqJZoF

Looks like I'll have to hold out until next years Cycle2Work for that one that.

Any other contenders, part from dinosaurs on Back 2 the Future 2 technology
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Prawny, that Genesis looks pretty good and ticks my boxes

http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/gear-news/ ... /5370.html
    Price for this steel-framed beast is slated as £999, making it CycleScheme affordable and an attractive, durable prospect for the daily commute. It is expected to be on sale by autumn 2010.

Read more: http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/gear-news/ ... z0xWTqJZoF

Looks like I'll have to hold out until next years Cycle2Work for that one that.

Any other contenders, part from dinosaurs on Back 2 the Future 2 technology

Might be worth speaking to genesis, see if you can register interest or something, the equilibriums sold out sharpish this year and I'm not sure they'll have enough of them Day ones to go round.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017