What else is on the NW sportive calendar this year?

Ands
Ands Posts: 1,437
Is there somehwere that I can get a list of local sportives? Apart from what I read on here, I don't really know what's going on or where to get more info.

I'd like to see what's on in the next couple of months in the NW/midlands area.

Comments

• jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    There be Rourkies Cat Fiddle run... sportive i n nature but is for the CF Trust.. sadly the weather has usually closed in for the worse over the tops in October... so it's longs and mudguards for some of us.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    There's the Macc Monster in October too.
  • 3Pears
    3Pears Posts: 174
    Hi Ands,
    To get a comprehensive list of Sportives try cyclosport.org calendar, most organisers appear to post theirs on there :)
  • Ands
    Great link, thanks 3Pears. Seems to be lots on there.

Mr Ands fancies doing the Macc Monster so unlikely that I'll be able to do it too.

Do sportives all tend to be on Sundays?
  • Anonymous
    Yes.

If you fancy it, Macc wheelers are doing their 'Mile High' ride on 18th Sept which has a similar amount of Climbing to yesterday but with less mileage. You have to be a club member though. (Hint hint...)
  • Ride the Tour of britain charity ride at stoke on the 26th of september it's in aid of prostate cancer charity and it's really well organised,it's over the actual stage what the pro's will ride on the 12th of september.
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    Lancashire Loop on the 26th Sep is one I have pencilled in.
  • Ands
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Yes.

If you fancy it, Macc wheelers are doing their 'Mile High' ride on 18th Sept which has a similar amount of Climbing to yesterday but with less mileage. You have to be a club member though. (Hint hint...)
    A Mile High Club member or a Macc Wheelers club member?? :wink::lol:

I have thought about joining a club - not really had the confidence to do it this year but the rides I've done in the last few weeks have really boosted my self-confidence, (turning up on my own yesterday was something I wouldn't have contemplated 6 or even 3 months ago) so maybe I will next year (although I know there is no way I could hang on to a club run for more than a mile). Don't all clubs meet on Sundays too? Mr A has the Sunday morning slot and I get Saturdays - I had to pay out a lot of credits to get a Sunday ride yesterday!
  • Anonymous
    Our club runs are saturdays. Plus, you'd be fine on our club runs!! They are social, not fast. We always wait at the top of hills to regroup etc...

No time like the present, you must join today! It's an order!
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    +1 with the link from 3pears. Just a mention for the TOB ride out of Stoke (mentioned in another post earlier today by Tobi Tour), which heads off on 26th Sept.

http://www.tourride.co.uk/stoke-on-trent.asp
  • Davidius
    Davidius Posts: 13
    +1 to the Tour of Britain Stoke Stage in September. (If the knee behaves)

There is also the Verenti Tour of the Peaks in October which is on the to do list.
  • Ands
    Thanks for the ideas. The Tour of Britain route looks great but probably more than I can commit to, training wise, over the next few weeks. I think I will just go and spectate the stage tho.

NapD - Macc is just a bit too far for me to go for a club run. :? (It takes me about 40 mins to get to Macc by car and I have to factor in family time at weekends too.) What time do they start?. I've been up the Macc Forest today - first time by bike. Very nice.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,862
    there is the bruntwood ellipse on sunday, starting in Knutsford & going into the peaks - 55 miles
  • rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    If you're prepared to ride with the socially-ostracised, otherwise known as audaxers, this list appears very comprehensive (also includes charity + various other rides) :-

http://www.cyclingcouncillor.com/index.asp?PageID=145

In my modest experience, shorter audaxes are a decent substitute for your average sportive: cheap as chips, better routes (due to local knowledge), and not full of w@nker wannabees who couldn't ride in a bunch if your life depended on it - which it might.

Downside: no signage (find a fast guy with a GPS to follow), no timing (use your watch), much fewer punters with the majority (although by no means all) fairly slow, and as mentioned above, many may appear even more socially inept than your average cyclist. Also, some events mandate SPD sandals. And a beard.
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    Beards, eccentric clothing and practical machines rdt!
  • rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    Garz wrote:
    Beards, eccentric clothing and practical machines rdt!

:lol:

Despite the odd nature of some, they tend to be a friendly bunch, I'll give 'em that!