Nearest trail centre to a train station

fyldesmurf
fyldesmurf Posts: 412
edited August 2010 in Routes
As in the title really, lost use of the car and desperate fr a ride with absolutely nothing local. I don't mind where really so long as it's up north.

Comments

• sparrowlegs78
    sparrowlegs78 Posts: 2,583
    There's Delamere, thats very near a train station
    Caz xx
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Long Preston station isnt too far from Gisburn about half an hours ride from memory. From Blackpool you will need to get to Lancaster or Leeds to get the train to Long Preston.

Its not a trail centre as such but the easiest to get to on a direct train. If you get the train to Chorley its about 3 miles to the downhill trails at Healey Nab. If you get off at Adlington you arent more than about 2 miles from the Trails at Rivington. Just had a look Blackpool North to Chorley is only 46 minutes on the Northern Rail train to Manchester Victoria
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    Grizedale Forest is a bit of a trek away from Windermere but not too far.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    The Marin and Penmachno are close to Betws-y-Coed and Llanwrst stations.
  • fyldesmurf
    Ok thanks for all the advice guys, had a look at timetables etc and most of these will take 2 hours to get to. Is there much natural riding around oxenholme or windermere which are only going to take about a hour?
  • fyldesmurf
    ok here's the plan then. Train to Windermere, ferry over windermere, some bridleways to North Face Trail, and , if i'm still standing, i'll do that and then do it all agin on the way home.
  • Hope - dark peak central
  • chedabob
    fyldesmurf wrote:
    ok here's the plan then. Train to Windermere, ferry over windermere, some bridleways to North Face Trail, and , if i'm still standing, i'll do that and then do it all agin on the way home.

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=54.345 ... %20Kingdom

If you're looking at using that unclassified road, bare in mind that it's pretty steep and you won't be able to cycle the first kilometre or so because it's just massive rocks. It's the same on both sides, but you can ride down if you're a bit mental. Also don't belt down towards the visitors centre because it comes straight out onto the road and the rocks are pretty loose.
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    not much use for the OP, but for midlanders/cheshireites theres good riding out of ruabon train station, if you've got all day theres a great (but long) loop which takes in coed llandegla.

nice pub next to the station as well.
  • chedabob wrote:
    fyldesmurf wrote:

If you're looking at using that unclassified road, bare in mind that it's pretty steep and you won't be able to cycle the first kilometre or so because it's just massive rocks. It's the same on both sides, but you can ride down if you're a bit mental. Also don't belt down towards the visitors centre because it comes straight out onto the road and the rocks are pretty loose.

I rode that very route on Sunday, only dab'd once on the climb up and loved the loose decent down to the visitor centre.
  • chedabob
    chedabob wrote:
    fyldesmurf wrote:

I rode that very route on Sunday, only dab'd once on the climb up and loved the loose decent down to the visitor centre.

I tried riding up but I just kept spinning out so I gave up after a couple of minutes. Missed out on the rocky descent to the visitor's centre as I came flying down the main path and missed the turn :lol: A good route, but not one I'd recommend doing on a BSO :P
  • good list of routes and maps here;
    http://www.bogtrotters.org/list_routes.php

Ferry over as above and the Claife Heights and bws around there.

Could go up to Staveley and do Kentmere Round, map from Wheelbase or from above list.
  • fyldesmurf
    Ok, honesty time i ended up not going today, With train times etc i decided not to risk it, so spent all day researching routes and instead i'm going to staveley on the train, along to kentmere, then do Garburn Pass, and work a way back to staveley. Thanks for all the advice guys, the way the car's looking i could end up on the train quite a lot in the future so I'm sure i'll be exploring some more of them anyway. :D