Cycling the south coast

jumbosausage
jumbosausage Posts: 77
edited August 2010 in Tour & expedition
I'll be setting of early next month from South London down towards Brighton then heading west along the coast or close..ish to it, to Exeter. From there I'll either go across Dartmoor or under it... i'm undecided as yet. Then ultimately on to Polzeath on the North Cornish coast.
I'll be doing the trip solo on a converted MTB, bar bag, rear panniers and tent. I'm not in a rush and plan to take between 5-6 days (train or lift home). I'm a strong experienced cyclist but an inexperieced cycle tourist having only done one B&B tour in the past.
Do any of you have any input or advice on this trip, espescially the route. I'm well aware it will be quite hilly, but would apreciate words of wisdom from those with first hand experience.
Look forward to your replies

JS

Comments

• alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    Last week I did London to Lands end in 5 days and some of it was along the coast. If you follow the coast rigidly the ride will be quite long with all the ins and outs of the rivers! I did London-Guildford-Winchester-Southampton-Fordingbridge-Shaftesbury-Sherbourne-Ilminster-Honiton-Exmouth-Starpoint - Dartmoor Youth Hostel - Liskard - Bodmin (camel trail) Padstow - Newquay - St Agnes - Hayle - Penzance - Lands End. 80 miles a day but without a tent - a light load ona road bike.

I dropped down to Southampton and crossed at Totton - the cycle track across the bridge is pretty good and the New forest is lovely. I was away from the coast until Exmouth where I took a pedestrian and bike ferry across the Exe estuary to avoid Exeter. I think it was every hour and cost about a fiver. The road south and west around the coast from there was quite nice (Dawlish etc)

The coast near Lyme Regis is really hilly so be prepared for that bit!

Print out the sustrans National Cycle Network guide from their website as it can be nice to pick up on them in some places if they fit roughly in your route.

have fun!
  • Thanks for that Alan, espescially the bit about the crossings, something I was meaning to check out.

Anybody else???

JS
  • Chrissz
    Chrissz Posts: 727
    No valid input - other than to mention that I'll be watching this thread with interest as I'm planning a ride from Chatham, Deal, Portsmouth, Poole and Lympstone (and possibly on to Bickleigh nr Plymouth).

Definitely open to any route planning suggestions etc. :)
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    If you've got limited time, and unless you really, really, want to explore Worthing etc you might be better off taking Alan's diagonal route or something like it. Personally, I'd head by train direct for the Purbecks and start from there.
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    For me a trip is half site seeing + photoshoots and half biking so half your daily mileage..Parts of Southern England I have enjoyed for photos in the past are..The Severn sisters,Arundel Castle,The Isle of White and Beer head..Basically
    following the coastline.Think you can overplan these things.The bests things are often those you just happen to come across on the way..
    jc
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    The coast road from Dartmouth to Torcross via Slapton Sands is an absolute corker.
    Half man, Half bike
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    jc4lab wrote:
    For me a trip is half site seeing + photoshoots and half biking so half your daily mileage..Parts of Southern England I have enjoyed for photos in the past are..The Severn sisters,Arundel Castle,The Isle of White and Beer head..Basically
    following the coastline.Think you can overplan these things.The bests things are often those you just happen to come across on the way..

+1 on not overplanning

and +1 on the Isle of Wight. If you have time. it's well worth thaking the Lymington-Yarmouth ferry and going round the Isle of Wight. Although, the best views are from the bridleways rather than the surfaced roads.
  • Thanks for all your comments, they're all taken on board.
    I can assure you the trip will not be rigidly planned, that's just not me, my life in general is a bit of a mess!
    I had a good idea what I want to do but thought it wise to seek tips and advice from people more experienced than myself.
    I would love to go to the Ilse of Wight but wont have time on this trip but plan to make a long weekend of it very soon
    Thanks again.

JS