Front Light Recommendation

lzkp5q
lzkp5q Posts: 9
edited August 2010 in Commuting general
Having been commutting for 4 months now, the realisation that the nights and mornings are darkening and I dont have any front lights has hit. I commute 10 miles each way, mainly on dark roads with no street lighting and large trucks. Had been looking at Maxx Daddy but read that the range is not very far. I commute at an average of 15mph and big stretches at 18+ so forward range needs to be pretty good.
What do you recommend guys (and girls)?
Stipulations are:
1. Sub £300
2. I want to see where I am going rather than be seen
3. Burn time needs to be 2 hours+ (or there abouts)
4. Needs to be able to fit to hybrid bars rather than helmet.
It's out there to be explored. Go do it.

Commuting: Boardman Hybrid Team
Fun: Scott Spark 40

Comments

• spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Ay-up lights
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    No point in spending hundreds on specific bike lights, you can get LED torches that will outperform items costing many times the price, and offer more flexibility (carry spare batteries, cheaply), for example:

one of these £26.99

or

two of these 2x £16.99

Add batteries and charger, another £16, and bar mounts, £3.50 or £7 (1 or 2 as required).
  • Lumi cycle do nice lights. I use a hope vision 1 and carry a spare set of batteries but this would probably not suit your length of commute. I have always bought the best lights I could afford and currently use a lupine betty 5 for MTB and a cateye doubleshot.

I do not have any personal experience of the cheaper lights but I suppose they are worth a try as you have very little risk versus cost

I prefer to have something that is specifically designed for use in cycling and have seen reliability issues with cheaper products,but there seem to be plenty of people on here who have had good experiences with products from dealextreme

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • I use a Hope Vision 2, and it's pretty awesome.
    FCN - 10
    Cannondale Bad Boy Solo with baggies.
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    Dyno hub and good LED light as per my other post somewhere else.
  • I've got lumicycle lights which I think are great, so good in fact I got a spare set on Ebay in the spring. They don't come up much but a set went today, £200 of lights for £85 so worth watching.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Magicshine worth a shout at 50 quid. The torches are ace.
  • Deal Extreme P7 Magicshine torches. Cheap and ace
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I use a Hope Vision 2, and it's pretty awesome.

Ditto. On full power it puts out enough light to make it look like you have a car with dipped beam 8)

I've done a few full night country lane rides (single track type) and have been VERY impressed with the Vision 2.

I couple this with a cateye single shot plus on flash or steady (flash for lit areas, steady for full dark) and have had cars pulling out the way - I got told by one guy he thought it was a motorbike coming towards him :)

Don't neglect back lights - you should have two sets to be safe
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    +1 for the Hope range. A Vision 1 might just do you, two definitely would. They're about half the price of the 2 (and half the light output- same spec LED) but takes regular AAs rather than a rechargeable pack. Even on a low setting, excellent for dark country lanes.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    + another for the Hope 1.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    This thread is giving me deja vu. Shall I start a call for a "kit your bike out for winter" sticky?
  • lzkp5q
    lzkp5q Posts: 9
    Cheers for all the advice. Will look seriously at the options provided. I ride as my eyes have deteriorated and so cannot drive any longer. The self same reason means that the basic cateye front I have (which wont mount to my back with standard bracket anyway) is useless on the commute and I need somethign with some power to see potholes (many) on the way in. Money no object I would go for Lupine Betty 14 based on wiggle's photos of the beam, but £700+ for a light, er, I think not.
    Couldnt find another thread for lights on here so apologies for those who have deja vu
    It's out there to be explored. Go do it.

Commuting: Boardman Hybrid Team
    Fun: Scott Spark 40
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Hope vision 1 here. Only used it a couple of times but so far so good.

Might get an additional P7 as I've heard great things about them.

Also worth getting a decent set of batteries (if your new light will use normal batteries).

I've ordered a set of these, 2900MAH :shock:

http://www.vapextech.co.uk/acatalog/Hig ... eries.html
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Hope Vision 1, no offence, is pretty weedy compared to the P7s and Magicshine, it only kicks out 200 lumens yet you pay through the nose for that.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    supersonic wrote:
    The Hope Vision 1, no offence, is pretty weedy compared to the P7s and Magicshine, it only kicks out 200 lumens yet you pay through the nose for that.

Its more than enough, it'll kick out what it claims and its made in England and picked mine up for £50, bonus. Each to their own, I've also got one of those import torches and I've never used the damn thing!
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Front - Fenix torch, rear 2 of those Smart lights...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • I use an Exposure Toro and cannot fault it (although waterproof rather than weatherproof would be nice). I like the fact it's an all-in-one unit, throws out a massive amount of light on max (not needed often) and burns for 10 hours on high which is normally enough for me on my unlit sections. Does what it says on the box.

That said, I'm seriously impressed with alfablues post and links and will definately pick one of those up as my backup. Nice one alfa :D
  • alfablue wrote:
    No point in spending hundreds on specific bike lights, you can get LED torches that will outperform items costing many times the price, and offer more flexibility (carry spare batteries, cheaply), for example:

one of these £26.99

or

two of these 2x £16.99

Add batteries and charger, another £16, and bar mounts, £3.50 or £7 (1 or 2 as required).

Pretty much exactly the set up I have (with a flashing knog strap on thing as well) except that my Dad "borrowed" one of the torches for more general use as it was so good. I got mine on eBay shipped direct from Hong Kong. Got a torch, 18650 batteries and charger for about £15 including shipping.

But the caveat is that my commute is on London roads so not sure if they would be good enough for a more rural commute.
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • Good selection here:

http://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/

I have one, it's bright enough to make car driver dip the headlights.

I have fireflies on the wheels too, just cos I can.
    If you see the candle as flame the meal is already cooked.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Just found some websites I bookmarked last year for batteriesand chargers. Not used either of them but they were recommended
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    iPete wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

Its more than enough, it'll kick out what it claims and its made in England and picked mine up for £50, bonus. Each to their own, I've also got one of those import torches and I've never used the damn thing!

I used to be happy with my evereadys back in the 80s.
    Then I was deliriously happy with my Fenix.
    Then I succumbed to the P7 torches. Its a whole new league - much much much easier to ride with.

Seriously - try it.
  • I've just ordered exposure joystick and red eye, little over budget. hope to give drivers a suntan with it tho :p