How to.....

stuman69er
stuman69er Posts: 30
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
How do you guys manage to dry your cycling shoes out after a damn ride home?

ive just gone to put my shoes back on after a wet and horrible ride home and they are still wet 14 hours later.

any clever ideas for drying them out by the following day?

i would have just put them on the radiator but its not cold enough for that at the moment.

i also thought about putting them in the tumbler but decided against it just incase the machine eats them!

so, any ideas?

Stu!

Comments

• FeynmanC
    FeynmanC Posts: 649
    Airing cupboard. Same with helmet and gloves and headband.

Soggy when I get in, toasty and dry every morning.
    us0.png
  • FeynmanC
    FeynmanC Posts: 649
    Forgot to mention - crumple some newspaper and put that into your shoes - helps them dry.
    us0.png
  • Haven't got an airing cupboard so it's the newspaper route for me...or use my second pair of shoes (worn, but kept for just that purpose).
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    +1 for the news paper, though it helps if you change it a few times. If they are sopping wet then you'll need a lot of news paper.

Don't use a hair dryer unless you want really smelly shoes.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    2 pairs of shoes.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Aga.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Aga.
  • would you supply said aga FOC?
  • just stuffed with kitchen towel 3 times tightening every time and has worked quite well. started to hair dryer them but then read the post about stinking shoes lol. have stopped that now lol.

don't have an airing cupboard so no go on that front.

i just need it to get cold enough now to put the heating on lol.
  • waterproof shoes, namely old pair of Royal Mail shoes.

I ride in work clothes, so shoes,trousers and smartish teeshirts.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    Aga.

do do do push pineapple, shake a tree
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    Fill a pair of long socks with rolled oats and push them into the shoes. In the morning the shoes will be dry and you can make porridge.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • Aga.

do do do push pineapple, shake a tree

Oh good grief. :lol:
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    The bike the Goodies rode
    Pogo Stick
    Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,
  • if they're still damp in the morning - sandwich/freezer bags over your socks! Sorted me out on more than one occasion.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    dondare wrote:
    Fill a pair of long socks with rolled oats and push them into the shoes. In the morning the shoes will be dry and you can make porridge.

:lol::lol::lol:
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Courtesy of The Gadget Show.

Put the shoes in a container filled with short grain rice (greater absorbency, apparently). I wouldn't recommend cooking the rice though, but if you have guests they won't know where the rice has beenwill they? :wink::lol:
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    Cafewanda wrote:
    Courtesy of The Gadget Show.

Put the shoes in a container filled with short grain rice (greater absorbency, apparently). I wouldn't recommend cooking the rice though, but if you have guests they won't know where the rice has beenwill they? :wink::lol:

I've used the oat technique and can testify that it works pretty well. I'd be worried about using rice, I suspect that in the morning the shoes would be full of a sticky, glutinous mess.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Wrap in a towel and throw 'em in the tumble dryer.

Don't forget to turn the Tumble dryer on.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    nappies... turn them inside out and shove in.

ps - to the left, to the right...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • +1 for newspaper stuffed in....and changing it a few times. keep the crumpled up stuff and dry it out for next time yr shoes are wet....

ps. thanks guys....gonna be aga do do do-ing all the way to wales now (onna train!!) :lol:
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Wrap in a towel and throw 'em in the tumble dryer.

Don't forget to turn the Tumble dryer on.

Pillow case can be 'closed' unlike towels.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • If you're knowingly heading out into rain, then overshoes are best, especially in winter as they keep the feet toasty.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    If you're knowingly heading out into rain, then overshoes are best, especially in winter as they keep the feet toasty.

plus one, I got some neoprene ones over the 'bay for about a fiver, just keep them with my waterproofs.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Zephr
    Zephr Posts: 60
    ski boot driers/ boot oven.
    More difficult if you dont work in a ski shop, I grant you.
    FCN 11. When you hear the buzz of the nobblies, you know youve been scalped.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I have a large packet of that silica gel stuff. You can get it on ebay, and it dries out in the oven, all ready for re-use. But overshoes are the way forward if you know it's going to rain.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    D-lock the... oh sorry. Wrong stock response.

MTFU and put them on wet. If it's still raining they'll just stay wet, and if it's a good drying day like today they'll be dry before you've remembered to be bothered about wearing wet shoes.

Having said that. always a good idea to have a spare pair of clean socks at work to go home in if necessary. Wet shoes I can live with, putting cold wet socks back on is a step too far.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    sealskinz - then it don't matter if the shoes are wet!!!!
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Crumpled newspaper. I bet no one's come up with that gem yet! ;)
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Confirmation after last nights scuba-dive commute home that plenty of tightly screwed up newspaper pushed deep into the shoes does the job. Mine were dy this morning.
  • CiB wrote:
    Confirmation after last nights scuba-dive commute home that plenty of tightly screwed up newspaper pushed deep into the shoes does the job. Mine were dy this morning.

as where my old Royal mail shoes, mind you, you would look silly riding a roadie with them on....