What make of chamois cream do you use ?

peanut
peanut Posts: 1,373
edited August 2010 in The bottom bracket
no seriously :wink: I'm curious to know what everybody recommends and uses.

I'm looking for a change and all the ones I've tried to date smell so strong they would stun a herd of Bison at 100 yds :shock:

Are there any out there that are moderately fragranced or better still no fragrence? or just smell mmm great :roll:

Comments

• Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    I'm using "Uddely sMOOth" at the moment. It's good. I seem to recall the smell as Ponds cream my mum used to buy....but I might be wrong.

I think some use Sudocrem, but I've never used it, but it is easily available at most drugstores.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • peanut
    I've just read a review of udderly by co incidence. Looks like good stuff. Quite pricey but worth every penny if it lasts through a long ride I guess. I remember Ponds cream. That fragrence would be fine . Just don't want to get one of those that that have such a powerful smell that it dominates every other riders thoughts riding behind on a club run. :lol:
  • Buckled_Rims
    To be honest, I find the Uddely cream seems to rub off after 40 to 50 miles due to sweat, but I've never had a problem down below.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • nicensleazy
    nicensleazy Posts: 2,310
    Assos
  • Pretre
    Pretre Posts: 355
    I'm using "Uddely sMOOth" at the moment. It's good. I seem to recall the smell as Ponds cream my mum used to buy....but I might be wrong.

I think some use Sudocrem, but I've never used it, but it is easily available at most drugstores.

+1 to Udderly.
    Sudocrem isn't a chamois cream - it's a skin-healing cream for use when you have got sores, not to stop them
  • Swarfega with sand in

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    Pretre wrote:
    Sudocrem isn't a chamois cream - it's a skin-healing cream for use when you have got sores, not to stop them

But it works!
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    owenlars wrote:
    Pretre wrote:

But it works!

+1

It lasted 130km with temperatures in the mid thirties yesterday.
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    I use Uddley Smooth for shorter journeys, and Assos for the long rides, both work very well.

I do sometimes use Sudocrem if I have run out of the proper stuff, just find it a bit too thick.
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    Don't use it.

Is it really necessary? How far are people riding before their gonads start getting sore?

My usual rides of forty to sixty miles don't seem to cause any problem. And that's with a crappy cheap pair of shorts with a dish sponge as a pad.

Come on fellas, is it just because the pros use it?

Not cheap either is it?
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    jim453 wrote:
    Don't use it.

Is it really necessary? How far are people riding before their gonads start getting sore?

It's not the gonads thats the problem, at least for me anyway. I only use Sudocrem for 100km+ rides on hot days (i.e. lots of sweating over a long period of time) or if I am suffering from sores already. Back in the old days when a chamois was made of chamois rather than synthetic, I remember using hand cream to keep the pad supple after washing or else the chamois ended up like cardboard. I resorted to hand cream as it contained lanolin which kept the chamois soft and it was in plentiful supply from the bathroom cabinet as the 'real stuff' was out of the budget of a teenager. With modern shorts that isn't necessary but having a layer of cream can reduce friction if you you find your shorts do rub, but saying all that I don't generally have a problem with saddle sores (although I do at the moment! :evil: ) and I don't use any cream at all, especially not for the ride to work (30km each way).

jim453 wrote:
    My usual rides of forty to sixty miles don't seem to cause any problem. And that's with a crappy cheap pair of shorts with a dish sponge as a pad.

The longest ride I've ever done was 220km in 10 hours with 4000m of climbing and was all done without cream and I suffered no problems.
    jim453 wrote:
    Not cheap either is it?

No, which is why if I use anything, it's sudocrem, which is cheap as chips, (relatively)
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Generally don't bother with it - I have got a tub of assos which I got free and I use that if I'm doing a very long ride or a race just because I've got it so figure I may as well use it.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • jim453
    Not just me who's going without then.

This topic comes up rather a lot though and i get the distinct impression that some guys on here won't walk to the kitchen to make a cup of tea without first lubing the crap out of there 'nads with fifty quid a gram bull semen or something.
  • Buckled_Rims
    I'll tend to use it for 40+ mile rides. I've ridden 60 odd miles without it and have cheap shorts (ALDI specials). My thinking is that if I do get sores the anti-bacterial in the cream will be better for me.

I've had lots of problems hill walking with my undies rubbing the tops of my thighs especially on hot humid days to know that you need to take every precaution possible.

I know my friends use sachets of butt'r cream on their long journeys. Getting sore on their first day of 7 doesn't bode well for cycling joy :wink:
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    All I can say is that having done a 9 day jogle, I wouldn't have done it without chamois cream. Parts of me were sort and tender (and not my balls, but more my undercarriage), but the chamois stopped anything from going bad (I assume).
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    The best cream ever

http://www.babipur.co.uk/shop/Natural_T ... _info.html

I use this when out on longer rides and it works a treat, feels nice too :)
  • peanut
    well speaking as a Clydesdale (245 lbs) I certainly couldn't ride without something to prevent chafeing at the tops of my thighs. Its all right for all you skinny riders with no rolls of fat :roll: :wink:
  • touch of Savlon does the trick for me
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • jim453
    mroli wrote:
    All I can say is that having done a 9 day jogle, I wouldn't have done it without chamois cream. Parts of me were sort and tender (and not my balls, but more my undercarriage), but the chamois stopped anything from going bad (I assume).

Don't you think that's a slightly extreme case?

I'm talking about individuals getting through gallons of this gear on nothing more than thirty or forty mile pootles around their locality.

Anyway, i suppose if a man wants to do that then it's no one's business but his own.

As an aside, your 9 day experiment with the cream, whilst commendable is worth nothing as an advert for your particular brand without a 'control'.

Your going to have to do the whole thing again dry.
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    I use it for most rides, but then I suffer if I don't use it. Some people may be able to ride 60+ miles without it, but if it makes those 60+ miles less uncomfortable, then why not.

It isn't the gonads that get sore, it is more the chaffing, especially when you DON'T pootle around ;)
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    jim453 wrote:
    Not just me who's going without then
    Going without bum cream?

I find going without underwear works the best - sweat evaporates quicker so you don't get as sore and there's no seams which dig into you.

My rides aren't normally that long time wise though. I find things start to get sore if I've been sat in the same sweaty cycling shorts for 6-7 hours.
  • jim453
    jim453 wrote:
    Not just me who's going without then
    Going without bum cream?

I find going without underwear works the best - sweat evaporates quicker so you don't get as sore and there's no seams which dig into you.

My rides aren't normally that long time wise though. I find things start to get sore if I've been sat in the same sweaty cycling shorts for 6-7 hours.

No,

intelligent conversation.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,237
    I used to go without all the time but it's just a little comfier. Keeps things that bit fresher and cooler, especially if you're riding back-to-back days.

Not essential , but now I'm earning a fair bit, worth the extra expenditure.

Assos for me, though given it's the only one I've tried beyond Savlon, I can't make any comparisons.
  • jim453
    Do you need special shorts for it to work? With a chamy (sp) in?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,237
    jim453 wrote:
    Do you need special shorts for it to work? With a chamy (sp) in?

Nah.

It's not actual chamois for leather anymore as far as I am aware.
  • GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    I used the last of my Assos stuff last week, so switched to Sudocreme (2 x young kids hence lots of it in the house!). Vast improvement is all I can say. I'll even be inclined to use more of it than I would with the Assos because Sudocreme is cheaper and it won't be seen by the wife as another unnecessary bike related purchase!
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Savlon

occasionally

but most often, nothing.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    jim453 wrote:
    Your going to have to do the whole thing again dry.

No, I am not! :lol: