Take an early morning spin around Paris !

Comments

• Some very lucky pigeons at 7:15

Right, RLJing, harassing pedestrians, passing the wrong side of traffic islands, the driver's got to be a cyclist :wink:
  • Is this the short film C'etait un Rendez-Vous?

I read some bits on it a while back - there are a lot of legends about it but the director said that he was driving the car at no more than about 60mph (the low camera gives an exaggerated feel of speed) and the engine noise was dubbed on afterwards, disappointingly. Still very impressive, though.
  • Is this the short film C'etait un Rendez-Vous?

I read some bits on it a while back - there are a lot of legends about it but the director said that he was driving the car at no more than about 60mph (the low camera gives an exaggerated feel of speed) and the engine noise was dubbed on afterwards, disappointingly. Still very impressive, though.

Yes, that's the one, disquieting. Claude Lelouche. The title caption says there's no ''trucage'' - i.e. no fakery but that doesn't seem to apply to dubbing sound on afterwards....
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I think Fifth Gear did a thing on it in the past and a modern sports car couldn't get close to the time so some trickery was used in the editing.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    The wikipedia page on it is comprehensive. The car was the mythical Mercedes 450SEL 6.9. It's a magical piece of film making, I think— silly and brilliant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C'était_un_rendez-vous
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    cars in Paris? Ronin - that's all you need watch.
    M.Rushton
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    I thought something was going wrong, if he was doing 140mph the other cars would have being doing about 120... It was evident he was only going about what looked like 70 and I thought he was keeping in a low gear revving its ass off at such a low speed.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    mrushton wrote:
    cars in Paris? Ronin - that's all you need watch.

Was on C5 recently and I only watched till the Gendarme pug 205 was trying to chase the Audi A8 and failing big time
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • nicensleazy
    nicensleazy Posts: 2,310
    Still a nice bit of footage!
  • Did they not do another recently that Snowpatrol used in the video for Open Your Eyes?

Edit : No, seems it is the same video
  • freehub wrote:
    I thought something was going wrong, if he was doing 140mph the other cars would have being doing about 120... It was evident he was only going about what looked like 70 and I thought he was keeping in a low gear revving its ass off at such a low speed.

According to Google Earth, the Champs (Arc de Triomphe to Place Concorde) is roughly 2kms; it takes the driver just over a minute to do this, so I guess he was doing about 120 kph / 74 mph (or just under) for this stretch.
  • Still a nice bit of footage!

Indeed, but there'll always be nit-pickers who can't suspend disbelief and simply enjoy the mood of the thing. At least it predates the over-the-top CGI fakery we get nowadays.

Good to find that it's back on YouTube, as the film's owners had had a purge last time I looked for it.