Chain rings worn - what do I need to replace?

metmanmark
metmanmark Posts: 28
edited August 2010 in The workshop
Following on from my previous post - my biggest two chainrings are badly worn - the largest one especially. The chainset is labelled TRUVATIV DiveD and has written on the 28 and 38 on the two smaller rings - there isn't anything written on the top one. Can I just buy the chain rings or do I need to buy a whole new set? From looking online you seem to get TRUVATIV chainsets but not the individual rings...
I have a deore rear derailleur and SRAM chain & rear cassette of similar quality and would like to have the same level of kit on the front.
Cheers
Mark

Comments

• OK - so it looks like I need a new chainset. What is the difference between the 'road' and 'mountain bike' options you get online? I used my hybrid for fast commuting and never used the smallest chainring so what range should I get? What is the 170 / 175 referring to? I don't want to order the wrong thing!
    Cheers
    Mark
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you can just replace the rings. just get the same BCD.

170/175 is the arm length. stamped on the back.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanks for that. I have checked that it is a 170.How do I determine the BCD other than measuring it? Also I need a middle & large ring so wouldn't it just be cheaper to replace the whole chainset or am I missing something?
    Cheers
    Mark
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sheldon has a good how to.

but if it is a 4 bolt it is most likely to be 104mm but check.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    If you need to replace the all the rings then it will probably be cheaper to get a new chainset, unless Superstar finally get theirs in stock again.

You can get the 2010 Deore chainset and BB for £60 from Melin, and it is similar quality the the current SLX.

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop ... t_1939.htm
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • Hi
    Thanks for the advice. I'll check our Sheldon Brown. What is the URL for the "superstar" site you recommend? I think I need the middle & the biggest chainring. I have counted the teeth on my current chainset and it is 28,38,48. Is there difference between the MTB and Road bike chainsets other than the gearing?
    Cheers
    Mark
  • thel33ter
    MetManMark wrote:
    Hi
    Thanks for the advice. I'll check our Sheldon Brown. What is the URL for the "superstar" site you recommend? I think I need the middle & the biggest chainring. I have counted the teeth on my current chainset and it is 28,38,48. Is there difference between the MTB and Road bike chainsets other than the gearing?
    Cheers
    Mark

Superstar's are out of stock, not sure if or when they will be back in stock.

Road chainsets and rings have a bigger BCD, normally 130 or 110.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • OK - next question: how can I tell which one of these I need:
    http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/95 ... inset.html
    http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/95 ... inset.html

Cheers
    Mark
  • thel33ter
    The square taper one.