Calling FG riders

andy83
andy83 Posts: 1,558
edited August 2010 in The workshop
Had my fg for bout 2 months now and i have prob rode about 1000 miles on it as I have a road bike i ride aswell.

however there seems to be a little play in the bb when i move the crank arms. Also i can feel it when im coming to a stop, i can slightly move back a little. Its not massive and bb doesnt feel loose ( i rode friends fixed the other day and his seemed quite loose but his was old)

today my chain came off when going about 20mph but luckily managed to stop and no damage, put chain back on and carried on for another 25 miles no problems. Could it just be a coincidence. The road wasnt great and quite bumpy but just little confused

Comments

• Craggers
    Craggers Posts: 185
    At the risk of teaching grandmamaa to suck eggs....it sounds like your chain needs tightening.

Also, loose chainring bolts will also cause that play IME.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Craggers wrote:
    At the risk of teaching grandmamaa to suck eggs....it sounds like your chain needs tightening.
    My first thought, too- a slack chain feels like a loose BB from the saddle.
    Also, loose chainring bolts will also cause that play IME.
    Again: +1

I've also had this from loose rear hub bearings, causing a loose chain. Unlikely though.

Cheers,
    W.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    If you can see obvious slack in your chain when stationary (and off the bike!), or the upper part of the chain deflects more than about an inch when you push it upwards, then it needs tightening.
  • +1 to the chain tightening. Need to keep an eye on it, as I have found to my cost.

To check for BB trouble, you'll need to take chain off then try and wobble the crank arms
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire