Great Shakespeare Ride

sarkster
sarkster Posts: 25
Took part in this today in its first year and I thought, given that the sportive is run by a charity who has clearly worked its arse off today and in the run up, that their successes deserved some mention here.

Arrived at the hotel that was the base of op's to find there was no parking and when arriving at the overspill carpark the gates were locked.

Not an ideal start!

I finally parked up and rode the mile to the hotel and registered without incident (seperate registration desks based on ride length and surname - nice)

All o fthe 100mile and 100km'ers who were present took part in a pace car lead out start which went off without incident though was delayed for 15 mins to allow everyone to get registered- presumably taking into account the car parking issue.

From here out the course was impeccably planned and marshalled (oh my god, the optional hill climb section about 50 miles in nearly reduced me to tears)

The feed stops, given the cost of entry - £15 - were some of the most lavishly stocked I have seen. The more premium event organisers - KILOTOGO, I am definitely pointing at you here - could learn a hell of a lot from this. with a nice medal and free bbq and drinks at the end, this event was incredible value for money.

I hope that the organisers dont become too tempted by the lure of offering less for more in the coming years as this looks set to be a nailed on annual ride for me.

ill do that bloody climb without getting off next year, too!!

Comments

• turboslave
    turboslave Posts: 178
    I would also like to say a big well done to the organisers of this one, lets not forget the helpers such as all the marshals out on route, the ladies in the feed stations etc.

Ahh the climb of larkstoke, a bit of a mind bender this one, just when you think your at the top you crest the rise only to see it rise up up and up again, dont worry you were not alone to walk on this one, fortunately I rode it on Sunday so there was no shock in store and actually it was easier today.

For a charity ride they certainly didnt try and keep the profits for themselves, great value and I will also be back next year, it really is a well worth cause and I hope they raised lots from this event.

There is another ride in Stratford next month over similar roads, the shakespear 100 or the mac ride, both run n the same day and use the same route, the mac ride is cheaper :wink:
  • blakef111
    blakef111 Posts: 374
    hey guys, thought i'd let you know that the timings from the event are now available here: 100mile
    100km

glad to hear you both had a great day, and larkstoke was easy! sudely hill had me cursing the route planners name! see you guys at the macride or if you pop into the shop
  • robgul
    robgul Posts: 1,651
    I rode this and was impressed - I got there early and got a parking space :D

As Blake just said - don't forget that there are two events at Stratford-upon-Avon on Sunday 12 September ...

Shakespeare 100 Sportive 100 miles (almost sold out) and 100 km - all at www.shakespeare100.org.uk

MacRide 63 or 25 miles for the leisure and pleasure rider (setting off well after the Sportive guys) - all at www.macride.org.uk

Last year we made a MASSIVE £36,000 for Macmillan Cancer Support

Come along and enjoy a great day!

Rob
  • This was my first sportive, so I'm not so sure how hard this actually was. But it was tough enough for me. Personally I think Larkstoke was more a psychologically tough climb because you could see the little dots in the distance scrambling to the summit, whereas i thought it was made tough from the effort of staying upright on Sudeley Hill (my garmin, and others touched 25%)
    But all in all it was a very enjoyable day, with some lovely home made tucker from the wonderful hospice volunteers
  • FOAD
    FOAD Posts: 318
    It was a good day!

Unfortunately the NFU forgot to open their car park!

No one has mentioned the free massages at the end for anyone who wanted one, supplied again by the hospices qualified staff.
  • blakef111
    blakef111 Posts: 374
    and the pictures are now up on yourraceday.co.uk! 6 hi res digital copies for £10, just waiting for mine through now, and yes the masseurs were a blessing, i'd be much stiffer today without them!