Gear & Brake cables. What and how?

G-Wiz
G-Wiz Posts: 261
edited August 2010 in Road buying advice
Any advice on some decent ones? It's to go on a planet X sram red build. The ones they put on it as standard were pretty dire, but then what do you expect at that price.

Never done this myself before, do I need new outers also or just cables? And do you just cut the outers to the same lengths as the old ones and keep the barrel adjusters?

Durability/low maintenance probably beats weight on this one.

Comments

• balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    What makes a cable dire?! Are they rusted, or something..? (Do SRAM not supply their shifters with cables, like Shimano and Campag?)
  • +2 on Jagwire, just because I love them so much! Love the Hyper DIY kit too
    -The Cowboy

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway." -John Wayne

"Converting calories into gas, a bicycle gets the equivalent of 3000 miles per gallon." ~Bill Strickland
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Mate of mine just built up his Ridley Dean TT bike using Nokon cables and it looks a million dollars(probably cost it as well as he bought several colours and mixed them all up!)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=27723
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    balthazar wrote:
    What makes a cable dire?! Are they rusted, or something..? (Do SRAM not supply their shifters with cables, like Shimano and Campag?)

They do, they use a Gore Ride On sealed cabling system.

What cheap shite did PX fob you off with?
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • G-Wiz
    What makes a cable dire?! Are they rusted, or something..?
    Well that's not what was on my bike, but like I say, at that price there's no doubt been a few corners cut. I wouldn't take it as a slur on them overall as they've been very good to deal with, and if they're going to cut corners, you may as well do it on parts that you know will need replacing anyway.

The ones I have aren't coated and they've just gone soggy over the winter, like a bit of wet string.

I think I'll go for Jagwire for the moment, the Nokon and Gore ones look very nice but a bit steep, I'll see if I can scrounge a few inches of Nokon outer for the rear derailleur :-)

Thanks for the tips everyone.
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    Shimano cables are always good.
    I use them on my winter bike with no issues through 2 winters on the same set.
    What really makes the difference is sealed end ferrules like the ones found on XT mtb cables.They stop all the crud getting in the ends.
    Nokon look amazing but I've seen to many complaints about how long it last before the coating starts to flake off.It shouldn't happen for the price.
    Gore are very good but again quite expensive.
    You could try to give your old cable a new lease of life with Rock N Roll cable magic which does work pretty well
  • hopper1
    G-Wiz wrote:
    Gore ones look very nice but a bit steep

Sorry, but my way of thinking is this... If you buy a bike specced with SRAM Red, then that's what you should recieve, and, as SRAM use Gore sealed cables you should have got them.
    Was it made clear that you wouldn't get the full groupset?
    If not, I'd be all over PX, now.
  • G-Wiz
    Cables weren't listed as to what you'd get and Gore cable clearly isn't part of a SRAM Red groupset. Just because that's what the majority of bikes kitted out with SRAM red use, its not the same thing at all.

You get what you pay for, and I don't feel in any way 'ripped off'. Quite the opposite. Gore cables would have added another £80 or so to the price that I didn't have at the time of purchase. It would have meant another week eating beans on toast to save up for them.

I got an amazing bike for the price and good service to boot. I've ridden it in all weathers since last August as it's my only road bike and I'd be expecting to change cables every spring anyway.
  • DaSy
    DaSy Posts: 599
    I love my Yokozuna Reaction cables, and for the price of a set of Gore gear cables, you get gear and brake cables. They are the smoothest cables I've used, and a real upgrade from the Dura Ace set they replaced.

They look nice too....
    Complicating matters since 1965
  • hopper1
    G-Wiz wrote:
    Cables weren't listed as to what you'd get and Gore cable clearly isn't part of a SRAM Red groupset. Just because that's what the majority of bikes kitted out with SRAM red use, its not the same thing at all.

Gore Ride-On coated cables and housings are included (the low-friction kind, not the sealed ones).... Extracted from here

I wrongly said 'sealed', but they're 'lo-friction'.
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    i'd refer to vendor / distributor or manufacturer for information on what cables are supplied, rather than rely an external source (no matter how reliable) for definitive information

As far as I can see, the SRAM website doesn't say anything about Gore cabling,

if you can point to the official documentation that backs use of the gore cables, i'd be inclined to accept the position you've taken...

I'm not sure what is in a Red double tap box.....that could also support your position...

Notwithstanding this, the OP doesn't seem too bothered, and neither would I - cable replacement is simple and is part of the maintenance regime on my bikes.
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    hopper1 wrote:
    G-Wiz wrote:
    Gore ones look very nice but a bit steep

Sorry, but my way of thinking is this... If you buy a bike specced with SRAM Red, then that's what you should recieve, and, as SRAM use Gore sealed cables you should have got them.
    Was it made clear that you wouldn't get the full groupset?
    If not, I'd be all over PX, now.

I think you'd be very disappointed with many brands in that case. Loads of manufacturers spec alternative cables than what would be supplied on a retail groupset. Its a good way to reduce the cost of an OEM groupset from a manufacturer.

Nothing wrong with it in my opinion.
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    My mate's SRAM red shifters came with the Gore cables, so guess the OP was sold short.
    I've got the Nokons on one bike and the shifting is very nice, but I'd start with the standard cables (in this case Gore) and see how you get on.
  • Beatmaker
    I read it as the OP purchased a bike equipped with SRAM Red, not separate SRAM Red components (if that were the case, he should have been supplied with Gore cables).
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    Beatmaker wrote:
    I read it as the OP purchased a bike equipped with SRAM Red, not separate SRAM Red components (if that were the case, he should have been supplied with Gore cables).

As Planet X supplies bikes for sale they can spec what ever brand of cables they wish.When they buy components they don't buy in fancy packaging they buy in bulk in plastic bags (OEM) as such many things you would normally see are not included.
    On the bikes where I work you wont see Shimano cables on a Shimano bike it wil be a generic cable fitted throught the entire range.
  • Beatmaker
    Wappygixer wrote:
    Beatmaker wrote:

As Planet X supplies bikes for sale they can spec what ever brand of cables they wish.When they buy components they don't buy in fancy packaging they buy in bulk in plastic bags (OEM) as such many things you would normally see are not included.
    On the bikes where I work you wont see Shimano cables on a Shimano bike it wil be a generic cable fitted throught the entire range.

Thats what I posted earlier. Twice.
  • G-Wiz
    Gone for some Jagwire ones, I'll let you know how I get on.

Now, any advice on bar tape.........
  • Beatmaker
    White Fizik Microtex.
  • I've been using middleburn cable oilers for well over a year now and iin that time the only cable i've had to replace has been because the outer rubbed on the frame and developed a hole.

If you;ve not seen them before they're available here, to fit brake and gear cables:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=3318

you can use them on a standard cable set up -= none of this costly gore/jagwire/nokon stuff required, but its worth usiing a teflon coated inner. They work best if you use a continuous cable outer and some form of cable ferule that seals the open end (like the shimano xt ones- your LBS should have some knocking around)

A minor faff to fit - cut the cable outer part way, and slot the cable outer into each side before you thread the inner though. Once fitted, you can just slide the o-ring back and purge all the crap out with fresh lube through a straw (use a pressurised spray can like GT-85).

I swear these things have seen my cables through 2 British winters without ever having to take the cables off to clean or replace, and my gears are still super sweet. They're much cheaper than even 1 change of cables.
  • hopper1
    Beatmaker wrote:
    White Fizik Microtex.

+1
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    Beatmaker wrote:
    White Fizik Microtex.

+1

looks really nice
  • I bought a PX SLPro Dura Ace, chose to build it myself, all components arrived in their manufacturers boxes, ie Shimano, the cables supplied were DA.
  • G-Wiz
    Good call on the tape, but I'm more on the stealth bomber look so black for me.

I'm convinced in 20 years people will be looking back on this white thing with the same bemusement as we look at 80's flourescent colour schemes.

It looks good for now though, the white & silver Dogma in the window at Sigma could tempt me from the dark side if I had the cash to spare.
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    I've been using middleburn cable oilers for well over a year now and iin that time the only cable i've had to replace has been because the outer rubbed on the frame and developed a hole.
    The cables (and housing) on my bike are the original Campag ones; they're over five years old and certainly don't need to be replaced. I ride regularly, in nasty weather, and keep the bike well-maintained and clean, but not obsessively so. A little oil dribbled into the exposed bits of cable housing every so often is enough, I think.
  • Forgot to mention on my earlier plus to Jagwire cables/housings... They seem to have the largest variety of housing colors available. I'm looking to get the orange ones when I get my bike back together :-)
    -The Cowboy

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway." -John Wayne

"Converting calories into gas, a bicycle gets the equivalent of 3000 miles per gallon." ~Bill Strickland
  • synchronicity
    synchronicity Posts: 1,415
    Also have a look at vertebrae. We now have 18 colours available, and they are the most durable & best performing cable housing out there. Even come with a 3 year warranty.