Retired Dad needs bike...

MattC59
MattC59 Posts: 5,408
edited August 2010 in The bottom bracket
Hi Guys,

I've already posted this in 'Buying Advice', but hte traffic through there doens't seem to be as high as here, so...............

I'm looking at getting a bike for my recently (yesterday) retired Dad, but could do with some advice on types of bike and makes. I have images of him carrying off the traditional cyclist on a tourer look, but I dont' know as he's that into it, I'll save that for my old age :D

Anyway, his basic requirements are here http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12724076

I'd be grateful if anyone could have a quick look and offer any advice.

Cheers........ Matt
Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved

Comments

• Do you have any idea what kind of bike he used to ride? My guess is that the best bike for him would be something that looks and feels pretty much how he remembers a bike to be.
  • tebbit
    tebbit Posts: 604
    + 1 for the cycle touring option, my Dad bought one when he retired he got used to the drop handle bars quite easily and he used it for over twelve years.

Best of luck
  • MattC59
    Do you have any idea what kind of bike he used to ride? My guess is that the best bike for him would be something that looks and feels pretty much how he remembers a bike to be.

To be honest, he's never been much of a cyclist. He had bikes as a kid, but I think he just likes the idea of a bike he can nip to the shops on, ride to his mate's places or go for the odd spin around the lanes. More to enjoy cycling than for any particular desire to train, race or get into distance cycling.
  • In that case the touring option would seem to be the best bet - it will look and feel like a classic bike and it'll take panniers/mudguards without any trouble - only the gears will be somewhere where he won't expect them to be but that won't take long to get used to.
  • Funnily enough was out today and rode a bit of the way with a guy I just happened to meet on a Claud Butler Regent (I know cos I asked him). He looked in his 60's. Bike was good enough to have a pannier on the front for his maps and rack on the back. Still looked sporty enough, said he got it for 350. Take a look. It was well geared enough for a 7% hill too.

*Edit* You do realise who he's going to be calling for EVERY little squeak on the bike. Have your wd40 handy and good luck. :)
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • I used to work in a bike shop that would sell loads of these. Classic steel frame. Sensible gearing, A brand name that everyone knows. Hunt around and you'll get a good price at this time of the year due to stores needing to clear the way for 2011 bikes....

http://www.discountcyclesdirect.co.uk/p ... ts_id=9404
    Let's close our eyes and see what happens
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    ye cannit get vexed with a dawes or have a look at the Edinburgh Cycles Country Explorer range (ok range is a bit OTT but theres a couple of options). lots of bike for £500 or so.
  • Help.
    My racing road bike has been nicked.
    I'm going to get a new one under the bike to work scheme but that will take awhile. Does anyone in the Blackburn area have anything very cheap but servicable, small or medium, that I could use between now and getting a new one (or, a nearly new bargain which would save me as much as the bike to work scheme)
    Thanks for any help.
    Mike.
  • MattC59
    bikeiatry wrote:
    Help.
    I'm going to get a new one under the bike to work scheme but that will take awhile. Does anyone in the Blackburn area have anything very cheap but servicable, small or medium, that I could use between now and getting a new one (or, a nearly new bargain which would save me as much as the bike to work scheme)
    Thanks for any help.
    Mike.
    And you picked this thread to announce that because ? :roll:
  • bikeiatry wrote:
    Help.
    Thanks for any help.
    Mike.

Mike, you'll need to start a new topic otherwise most of the forumers won't know you've posted. This thread's about bikes for dads.

There's a ''new topic'' button in a little box up on the left-hand side under the blue banner.
  • bugsrabbit
    bugsrabbit Posts: 182
    My dad bought one of these:
    http://www.ridgeback.co.uk/index.php?bi ... _bike=TRUE
    I know it looks a little bit old man style, but he loves it. He's 69 and last weekend rode from preston to windermere and back, a grand totol of 120 miles. He,s always likes cycling but i',ve just persuaded him to part with some of his money.
  • bugsrabbit wrote:
    My dad bought one of these:
    http://www.ridgeback.co.uk/index.php?bi ... _bike=TRUE
    I know it looks a little bit old man style, but he loves it. He's 69 and last weekend rode from preston to windermere and back, a grand totol of 120 miles. He,s always likes cycling but i',ve just persuaded him to part with some of his money.

Chapeau to your dad, bugsrabbit! That's a fair old ride and I bet he was chuffed with himself. Ok, he's only 13 years older than me but I hope I can match that when I get to 69.