The WIND

freehub
freehub Posts: 4,257
edited August 2010 in The bottom bracket
I don't know if it's the same for everyone, but here, and in Manchester, I am pretty sure, this year, on all my riders, overall I've had to work harder to do a certain speed than last year, and the year before (not taking into account fitness increases), all because of the wind.

I cannot remember a day this year in which the wind has not being going at a decent pace, it's always strong, and today I was going into the wind it was like a wall and to the side it was hard to keep from blowing into the side of the road.

Now I don't mind abit of wind, without any wind it's just as bad, because it's like a steady headwind blowing every direction, so a good wind provides a good workout and a nice speed out of it. This year it must be the windiest year for god knows...

No one else seeing the same?

Comments

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    No.
  • I've only been cycling just over a month but the wind is already my worst enemy. It's a malicious, persistent, thoughtless bastard and I hate it. Every mile feels like 3. I actively curse it and everything it stands for with alarming regularity.

I know, I know..'man up' but...
    Giant Rapid 3
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Nope. I love the wind. It is always behind me. I suggest you change your route or move.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • freehub
    dilemna wrote:
    Nope. I love the wind. It is always behind me. I suggest you change your route or move.

When I go out on my bike, I always come back on my bike too, which means I either have one going out or coming home.

I don't mind these strong winds, I do find it a little frustrating going into them and only managing 17-19mph into them. I know it's training and all but it sucks and I cannot remember a year with so frequent wind.
  • Jordan93
    Jordan93 Posts: 336
    I used to find the wind a bastard but now even if its relatively strong it doesnt seem to affect me too bad either that or it just doesn't bother me. When i first started out, the wind made me want to swear it felt that relentless
  • -spider-
    -spider- Posts: 2,548
    Always plenty of wind round here - coming home last night was exciting. The Kessock Bridge (high enough for ships to get under) was closed to high sided vehicles because of the wind. I didn't fancy the 20 mile detour so made my way across - what fun!

-Spider-
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,170
    I reckon its been more windy this year, always seems like a 15+mph wind.
    Mañana
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    Good idea dilemma why don't you just ride the other way and you'll have a tail wind all the way round - sinples. :wink:
  • It certainly feels windier this year, don't remember it being anywhere near this bad last year!
  • bill_gates
    bill_gates Posts: 469
    Is there any accurate websites that detail current exact wind direction. I know the BBC weather gives a basic report but is there a more accurate site that anyone can recommend.

I thought about taking up sailing. :)

"I like riding in my car, it's not quite a Jaguar."
  • COVEC
    COVEC Posts: 213
    Bill,

What you want to search for are the "TAF" and "METAR" for the closest airport to your route, or even better a couple surrounding your route.

They are the airfield forecast and current weather conditions, they will give very good wind direction and speeds.

If you have a smart phone then get the AeroWeather app and load it up with the airfields of choice.

If you struggle to decode the information just search "TAF/METAR decode"

Hope you get the information you desire.

COVEC
  • freehub
    Why does the wind die down at night, well most nights?

It always seems to be calm when this happens until around 7am when it suddenly kicks up.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    freehub wrote:

It always seems to be calm when this happens until around 7am when it suddenly kicks up.
    I've often wondered that.

You spend the day being battered from what seems like all directions and in the evening it goes to a flat calm. Happens too often to be co-incidence, maybe God is one of those people who shout at cyclists from cars?
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    Must be something to do with the sun then :wink:
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    Yerp, the wind sucks.

I live on the tip of a peninsular, and the wind always blows the same way.. Which means that the way home from a ride is always windy as heck! (last week i was riding home in 24mph winds.. Struggled to keep 18mph on a piece of road i normally cruise along at 28 for a couple of miles (Very slight decline all the way before anyone says 'wow, thats faster than the TdF') when there is very minimal wind.
  • Airwave
    Airwave Posts: 483
    freehub wrote:

Down here on the coast,during the summer months the wind always drops off overnight if high pressure is sitting over us.We then get a land breeze pick up overnight which is allways north west to north east.This land breeze starts to drop off about 9am then the sea breeze starts to devlope duing the rest of the morning.By mid afternoon the sea breeze,allways between south west&south east,can become quiet strong.Usualy force 3/4,but can get up to a force 6 or 25knots.If low pressure is over us the wind tends to stay in the same direction day or night.But it still tends to decrease overnight as the temprture drops.I'm not a weather geek but i've spent far too much time sea fishing over the last 30 odd years.
    Knowing this i tend to plan my riding going against the wind early in the day.Then by the time i'm on th journey home the wind has quiet often picked up a far bit,allowing top speed coasting for long periods :lol:
  • bill_gates
    bill_gates Posts: 469
    I got a great tailwind on my one way commute today into town. Can't complain when it's in your favour. :)

"I like riding in my car, it's not quite a Jaguar."
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    freehub wrote:
    dilemna wrote:

When I go out on my bike, I always come back on my bike too, which means I either have one going out or coming home.

I don't mind these strong winds, I do find it a little frustrating going into them and only managing 17-19mph into them. I know it's training and all but it sucks and I cannot remember a year with so frequent wind.

17-19mph into a brisk headwind is better than most other people would manage

So quit worrying about it
  • freehub
    Interesting, looks like the jetstream has a blockage.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... istan.html

Apparently linked to flood in Pakistand, tornadoes and fires in Russiah, and the sudden end to war, weather (or summer), in the UK.

They also mentioned wind, looks like it's also due to the jetstream blockage.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    It was horrific today. Pretty bad last night too. Stupid wind.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017