Contador's Watch

gdcfc1
gdcfc1 Posts: 125
edited August 2010 in The bottom bracket
heh - anyone seen the back cover of the latest Pro Cycling magazine (UK)? This is the Tour de F report special.

What is the watch that contador is wearing on the back cover ad?

looking into the +1

Comments

• MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    gdcfc1 wrote:
    heh - anyone seen the back cover of the latest Pro Cycling magazine (UK)? This is the Tour de F report special.

What is the watch that contador is wearing on the back cover ad?

A pic would widen your audience :wink:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    I guess it's not a Nike Lance watch but doesn't look like one of the expensive brands. Chinny has a lovely IWC Aquatimer on a photo in that issue

https://www.albertocontador.com/familia.php?id=13
    M.Rushton
  • BigG67
    BigG67 Posts: 582
    mrushton wrote:
    I guess it's not a Nike Lance watch but doesn't look like one of the expensive brands. Chinny has a lovely IWC Aquatimer on a photo in that issue

Ah I see you are afellow fan of horology mrushton....more of a Zenith man myself :wink: My love of watches is the only thing that baffles Mrs BigG more than my love of bikes.
  • Harry B
    Harry B Posts: 1,239
    BigG67 wrote:
    mrushton wrote:

Ah I see you are afellow fan of horology mrushton....more of a Zenith man myself :wink: My love of watches is the only thing that baffles Mrs BigG more than my love of bikes.

Zenith are very nice timepieces. I understand that until recently they made the chronographs for Patek Philippe. The El Primero range are very very nice.

I have an IWC and an Omega. A Patek Philippe is on the wish list but the credit crunch has delayed that particlur purchase :(
  • BigG67
    I've a Zenith Chronomaster, a Jaeger Reverso Squadra Homeline and a couple of Rolex including a very old Steel Datejust and a Steel Daytona 8) ...it's taken a few years to build up (and a jeweller friend for the Daytona) but I like my collection and it's worth more now than I spent on it :D

I do like some IWC and the new Omega Co-Axial are cracking watches.
  • Alberto's got his own 'brand' made by Christian Lay. Personally I don't think they're all that...

http://tienda.cristianlay.com/index.php ... 3f2aa1460b
    Rob Spedding, Editor, Cycling Plus
  • Doh - jus noticed the question had already been answered...
    Rob Spedding, Editor, Cycling Plus
  • Harry B
    Harry B Posts: 1,239
    BigG67 wrote:
    I've a Zenith Chronomaster, a Jaeger Reverso Squadra Homeline and a couple of Rolex including a very old Steel Datejust and a Steel Daytona 8) ...it's taken a few years to build up (and a jeweller friend for the Daytona) but I like my collection and it's worth more now than I spent on it :D

Nice collection. I'm not keen on Rolex's as a rule but I'll make an exception where the Daytona is concerned :wink:
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    BigG67 wrote:

I bought the missus one for xmas the year before last. I got a Panerai in return.

Selfridges have had a Breitling, a Maurice Lacroix and a Mountblanc out of me too...
  • mrushton
    I've had various ones but I've recently decided to let some go. So my Submariner was sold the other week and I'm going to sell my JLC reverso Dual-time and Panerai Luminor and poss. a steel datejust. I might trade my bimetal GMT-Master 2 for a s/s Explorer 2. I don't buy them new. It's surprising how many fine examples of good watches are available second hand/trade-in
    M.Rushton
  • Johnny G
    Johnny G Posts: 348
    Oops - I thought this was going to be sarky, not a serious question and that the answer was going to be "Festina". :twisted:
  • bam49
    bam49 Posts: 159
    I think those two ' Alberto Contador ' watches are horrible bits of tat ....
    I like watches , got into them a few years back when I was not riding so much.. I have 7 ; a UN Maxi Marine diver, Omega Seamaster 2254.50 , Fortis B42 Divers Chrono, Fortis B42 Marine Master, Fortis Official Cosmonauts Chrono with Lemania 5100 mvmt, Seiko skx09 divers, and an old quartz Tag... For timing duties on a sportive I think its cool to use a mechanical chrono - I use my Fortis Cosmonauts chrono as it is not too big or heavy...
    not going to buy anymore , even though I would like to.. One on the wrist, and 6 in the box are enough for me :)
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    I'm a bit of a watch lover - although I don't have the pockets to match my enthusiasm!

I do have a nice Oris Big Crown bought for me by my wife as a wedding present
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • mrushton
    If money was not an issue it would be a watchfest at my house. I nearly got a Panerai Radiomir GMT/Alarm but the shop was taking the p**s. But some Panerai,JLC and poss.a Patek would be good.

www.chronomaster.co.uk

www.theoldwatchshop.com

www.paneristi.com
    M.Rushton
  • BigG67
    Harry B wrote:
    BigG67 wrote:

Nice collection. I'm not keen on Rolex's as a rule but I'll make an exception where the Daytona is concerned :wink:

Ta! I'm in two minds on Rolex, for fun I borrowed a mates gold Oyster Day Date BLING! :shock: for a month and hated it...but the datejust is 27+ years old and was a hand me down as my first proper watch...the Daytona as you say is one that you can't turn down.
  • mrushton
    Those gold Rolex are really chavvy io and you can pick them up quite cheap used. They look better in Platinum or white gold. Chinny's watch is an IWC Galapagos Island edition Aquatimer Chronograph.
    M.Rushton
  • andy162
    andy162 Posts: 634
    I've had an Rolex Airking since 97. It's the simplest & cheapest model in the lineup. Stainless steel with a blue Arabic face. Still love it & will never part with it. I've had a Panerai Luminor Marina & a couple of Submariners in the past...

I reckon it's a Stainless & white Daytona next....if my numbers come up!
  • mrushton
    A nice watch but the oldwatchshop (www.theoldwatchshop.com) has a vintage one that looks nicer. I've tried to escape all this b****x but I'm getting dragged back in. Found myself on the Paneristi site earlier. It all got out of hand when I flew to Paris to have a strap made! Nice day out but I must have had no sense/too much money
    M.Rushton
  • andy162
    andy162 Posts: 634
    ....oh,& I still have an original TAG F1 from 89. Bought it with my first months wages. Cost me £155 back then. I still wear it but have just bought a replacement rubber strap. It's on it's 3rd battery in 21 years.

It's knackered, the numbers are worn off the bezel, the ratchets gone & the face is scratched to death. But it has a certain appeal to me & looks quite rejuvinated with a new strap on it.

A mate of mine has a Franck Muller Conquistador King...cost crazy money about 10 years ago but it's a horrible looking thing!
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    What's wrong with an el-cheap Timex..I mash mine up enough and I ride Road bikes, not MTB's................I also tend to smash up any half decent watch too..(off bike) far too many........... :?
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    mrushton wrote:
    I've had various ones but I've recently decided to let some go. So my Submariner was sold the other week and I'm going to sell my JLC reverso Dual-time and Panerai Luminor and poss. a steel datejust. I might trade my bimetal GMT-Master 2 for a s/s Explorer 2. I don't buy them new. It's surprising how many fine examples of good watches are available second hand/trade-in

If you're looking to trade a GMT Master 2 for an Explorer II, I could be your man. I have
    a fully serviced Explorer II with box, receipts and all papers. Serial no is Sxxxxxx
    (If you know your serial numbers you'll know the year it refers to).
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I have a Roles Submariner which I love and a day to day Accurist chronograph, stainless as well. I want more but they are a lot of money.
  • GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    The only non-essential 'thing' i've spent more money on than cycling. Mrs GavH has one as well so can't complain (far left)!

DSCF6609.jpg
  • Would anyone like to swap an Omega Seamaster for a genuine, boxed Casio...?

Ok, don't know that much about watches but I was captivated by the orange Omega with the rubber strap I saw in duty free. Not sure what model that was and was too scared to look at the price tag, but hell they're cool...
  • BigG67
    fossyant wrote:
    What's wrong with an el-cheap Timex..I mash mine up enough and I ride Road bikes, not MTB's................I also tend to smash up any half decent watch too..(off bike) far too many........... :?

Absolutely nothing :D

In my opinion more than anything else you're "into" watches just because you are. There is no practical justifcation for spending £5k-£10k on a steel watch, in fact I've a couple of plastic watches - Swatches - and they keep better time than my Daytona. It could be an admiration for the mechanics of the thing and the purity of it's purpose...that and I'm a sucker for good marketing :wink:

Would fellow mugs agree that it's an emotional thing?

It's definitely not status - witness the gold Rolex mention above. I doubt that anyone who isn't a watch buff would undertsand why a SS Daytona is more desirable than a white gold or mixed metal Daytona. Or why I'm jealous of my mate who could give his orignal TAG Monaco to his son on his 21st as his father had given it to him (new) for his 21st....but not that jealous of his son.
  • BigG67
    Would anyone like to swap an Omega Seamaster for a genuine, boxed Casio...?

Ok, don't know that much about watches but I was captivated by the orange Omega with the rubber strap I saw in duty free. Not sure what model that was and was too scared to look at the price tag, but hell they're cool...

Could be one of these http://www.iconicwatches.co.uk/omega-pl ... re=default Or a Seamaster.

You'd need to have £3k in your pocket just in case.
  • gdcfc1
    expanding thread for one with a quirky question and no pic to start it :D

noone seems to have seen the actual watch and I haven't found it in the responses yet .... so still looking.

looking into the +1
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    I'm just remembering the watch that played a key role in the plot of Pulp Fiction.

The scene where the watch first appears is one of the most surreal, gripping and funny bits of cinema acting I have seen.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• BigG67
    gdcfc1 wrote:
    expanding thread for one with a quirky question and no pic to start it :D

noone seems to have seen the actual watch and I haven't found it in the responses yet .... so still looking.

Sorry...my fault :oops:

I thought we settled on https://www.albertocontador.com/familia.php?id=13 or http://tienda.cristianlay.com/index.php ... 3f2aa1460b

But see that the one in the mag is all black,
  • gdcfc1
    looking into the +1