Apparently....

gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
My vet has told me that my beloved dog, Wilma, is depressed......

As she is 2 years old and coming into her "teens" as such - I am gonna avoid playing Radiohead in the house (depressing teenagers is like shooting fish in a barrel).

What can I do to cheer her up - I think she misses time with me 1-2-1 (without 6 month old baby). Concerted effort to get out with her - any other ideas?

Comments

• biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Is dog depression like human depression? Because trying to "cheer her up" isn't really going to help!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    How the feck can you tell if a dog is depressed?

Shooting fish in a barrel sounds like fun!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    My cat Nelson seems to be on the other end of the scale teenage wise, rebellious little git that he is at the moment.

Now there's a question, how do you cheer up a depressed dog, not like you can take her shopping for new shoes like any other woman :lol:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    more often afaik its the lack of attention due to other priorities - kids. Making more of an effort to have play/walk time with her gets the groove back.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • rf6
    rf6 Posts: 323
    Don't know if it's practical where you live, but my dog loves to come along for a ride. I get out the SS, and hit a quiet country lane or bridleway. It combines the one to one time, with a bit of exercise on top and leaves her knackered and happy. Worth a go?
  • hisoka
    hisoka Posts: 541
    Poor thing :(

We had a dog that had the issue but it seemed to grow through it, at least it seemed to. I hope it had nothing to do with being called Bob
    "This area left purposefully blank"
    Sign hung on my head everyday till noon.

FCN: 11 (apparently)
  • gtvlusso
    Generally, I go mountain biking with her - in the woods. But not had time recently, 3 kids is knackering!
  • rf6
    rf6 Posts: 323
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Generally, I go mountain biking with her - in the woods. But not had time recently, 3 kids is knackering!

It's probably the lack of exercise and attention then. I suppose it's about making a bit of time for a ride, but I do appreciate it's a lot easier said than done. Do any of your young un's ride yet? I'm thinking a bit of a family ride / dog walk maybe???
  • gtvlusso
    My older 2 do - but they are with their mum (long story) 6 month jnr is with new mum! My life is one big mess :-s
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,964
    I know very little about dogs.

One of the few things I do know is that Collies need an extraordinary amount of exercise, sadly it's why the dog rehoming centres are full of them.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    gtvlusso wrote:

She's an absolutely gorgeous dog, collies need a lot of exercise don't they? If she'd not getting out enough she probably won't be happy
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • gtvlusso
    Its not exercise - it is keeping her mind occupied, they actually don't need allot of running - just things to keep them interested. Generally, she can last 20 mins when chasing a ball before she flops into a heap - thick coat and hot weather. On a walk, she will do about 2 hours - with the bike about 1 hour max (with water stops).

People get rid of collies because people are lazy with them, Wilma is still out 2 or 3 times a day, usually with my wife and jnr. And has 2 "big" walks a week with a dog walker for about 3 hours each time + a 2 hour walk/run on Sat and Sunday. So, she is not really wanting in terms of exercise (although we are not working her at the moment) - I think she just wants time with us to play without jnr!

Perhaps a little jealousy.

I was gonna pack her off to my folks farm for a bit of work....but I think we need to make the effort to help her at home first!
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Its not exercise - it is keeping her mind occupied, they actually don't need allot of running - just things to keep them interested. Generally, she can last 20 mins when chasing a ball before she flops into a heap - thick coat and hot weather. On a walk, she will do about 2 hours - with the bike about 1 hour max (with water stops).

People get rid of collies because people are lazy with them, Wilma is still out 2 or 3 times a day, usually with my wife and jnr. And has 2 "big" walks a week with a dog walker for about 3 hours each time + a 2 hour walk/run on Sat and Sunday. So, she is not really wanting in terms of exercise (although we are not working her at the moment) - I think she just wants time with us to play without jnr!

Perhaps a little jealousy.

I was gonna pack her off to my folks farm for a bit of work....but I think we need to make the effort to help her at home first!

Yeah, send her to the farm! Enroll her on a shepherding course. When people get depressed or bored they do evening classes in photography or pottery or whatever, pehaps dogs are the same?
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Have you thought about agility training? You could pack her and the Mrs off one night a week, good fettling time, then you can get a free pass for an evening ride every now and then.
  • gtvlusso
    The missus ain't that agile ;-)
  • Tell him to snap out of it.
  • waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    Nice Simpsons reference, Mr Lusso...
    Rules are for fools.
  • She doesn't need more exercise, she needs more attention. Prior to your recent additions she was most likely at or near the top of the tree.

Collies ought to have plenty of exercise, but in my experience they'll definitely settle for plenty of attention instead!
  • gtvlusso
    She doesn't need more exercise, she needs more attention. Prior to your recent additions she was most likely at or near the top of the tree.

Collies ought to have plenty of exercise, but in my experience they'll definitely settle for plenty of attention instead!

Good call - I will fuss her up a treat! I think she is missing he doggy buddies to as her walks are not the same time as when my wife and I were both working (wife on maternity!)
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    I don't mean to be unsympathetic.....but couldn't help think about this....
  • When people get depressed or bored they do evening classes in photography or pottery or whatever, pehaps dogs are the same?

Nah, dogs are rubbish at both of those.

I'd vote for a bit of one-on-one time with the dog, playing rather than exercising. This has inspired me to collect my dog from my ex-wife and spend the day with her tomorrow.
    '12 CAAD 8 Tiagra