Full outer gear cable?

Epoch_02
Epoch_02 Posts: 40
edited August 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm about to have the full group set on my 1997 Kona Explosif replaced with M970 spec gear. I see more and more new bikes having the gear cables fully enclosed and am wondering if this is due to;

- frame manufactures having to do brackets for full brake cable runs since hydraulics became popular so it's easier to do both
- It really is that much better at keeping the inner cables muck free and smoother etc

My bike has two exposed top tube runs (front mech and rear brake) and the rear deriallier run goes down under the bottom bracket (which i've always though was a bit silly anyway)

So my dilema is while I can whether to cable tie full runs to the bike during the refit, although the V Brakes will not be full run (unless i can source XTR cable brake continous outer) or just to carry on as normal until one day the frame gets replaced

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    i would not bother.

there are hose adaptors you could use.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    Ive recently done exactly this. My bike had open gear cable runs under the bottom bracket for both front and rear gears so i got a full length outer and run it direct along the top tube and seat stay to my rear mech and used cable ties to hold it in place, works a treat.
  • lugsey2k5
    lugsey2k5 Posts: 960
    Did it on my kona dawg. Drilled the stops and ran full length outer. Was no noticeable increase in friction and stayed clean.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    full outers are the best way to d things in my opinion, its how i like to run my bikes but iwouldnt go to the extent of drilling bits of frames to make it happen.

is there any difference between xtr outer and any normal shimano cable outer? i notice you said you wouldnt run full outers unless they were xtr, i thought all outers were the same.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It can make the shifteing feel a bit softer. Something to try though.
  • Epoch_02
    Epoch_02 Posts: 40
    Many thanks to the replies to above, gives me something to ponder over and see how viable it is.

I've bought some cable donutz in preparartion for standard routing but ill see how it goes

is there any difference between xtr outer and any normal shimano cable outer? i notice you said you wouldnt run full outers unless they were xtr, i thought all outers were the same.

Being a bit of a tart i wanted matching grey gear and brake cable outers. I also bought the SP41 grease to keep the inners well lubed and i'm led to believe the XTR brake and SP41 gear outer have this in from new.