Training for Exmoor Mountain Bike Marathon (or lack of)

jmillen
jmillen Posts: 627
edited August 2010 in Health, fitness & training
Evening people,

Okay, so with 3 weeks to go before the event I've just entered the Exmoor Mountain Bike Marathon. Its 100km across Exmoor with a total of 3000m of climb (start and finish in same place, so also hoping for 3000m of decents :D).

Anyway, its obvious that I'm not going to be able to do anywhere near the training I probably should, and I'm not really expecting to be able to finish the full 100km route, but there are shorter versions which you can cut onto if you're not up to the big one on the day.

I currently ride into work and back each day (5 miles per day) and then go out for a group ride on Thursday evenings of approx. 10 miles. And then, do a 20 miler ish at the weekends. The furthest I've ever ridden on a bike is about 48 miles which I managed without too much of a problem, although I could certainly feel it when I had finished. I'm hoping the event on the day should be able to push me that extra 15 miles or so to the end.

So, if anyone has any tips or comments in terms of what preparation I should do in the short build up that I have (get some miles into my legs, or rest rest rest), what food/drink I should be looking to take for 8 hours or so in the saddle, they'd all be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance for your help :)
2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon
2014 De Rosa R848
Carrera TDF Ltd Commuter

Comments

• LjStronge
    LjStronge Posts: 287
    Hi

I have a couple of mates who have entered it this year (I am on holiday in Portugal, so can't make it) They have both entered for the full 100k.

They are both really fit guys - but it's the duration and distance off road that going to be a killer. I am not that fit at all, so I struggle on the rides with them, but their training really has just consisted of gradually increasing their distance every week so they can do more and more without having any trouble.

A couple of weeks back we did a 68 mile ride from Reading to Teddington following the Thames. Although it's "Off Road" as there really isn't road riding, it was only flat tow paths. This distance killed me (like I said, I'm not fit at all) but didn't really affect my mates too much, but they did it because they desperately need to get the miles in their legs.

Last weekend (Sunday) we did the 48k Skyline run at Afan, which is a lot better training as it's 2000m up.

The boys are going out 2 times a week at the mo to Swinley and putting in 20 miles just to keep fresh, but are doing the longer runs for training.

I don't think you can really do anything similar to the Exmoor run, I would just do lots of off road, loads of time in the saddle, and increase your distances bit by bit until you can do about 70-80k a week before.

According to the site (as I am sure you are aware) to complete the 100k route, they reckon you can be riding for up to 12 hours.

12 hours off road (and it is proper off road) really is a beasting.

Hope this helps, don't take my advice as gospel because A) I am not riding it and B) I am only telling you what they are doing to get ready!
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp 2009.
  • jmillen
    jmillen Posts: 627
    Thank you for the reply :) its good to see what others are doing for preparation.

I've never done anything like this distance before, I'm hoping that the adrenalin on the day will get me quite a long way ! I wouldnt say I'm very fit, but I do have alot of stamina and don't give up easily.

I'm not expecting to be able to finish the 100k, but I entered it as I'm guessing its a staggered start and I want to be able to set off asap. I'll probably end up diverting onto the 75 or 50k route on the day, but I'll have to see.

Will they have some kind of food/drink stations along the way do we think or do I pack assuming I have to provide all the nurishment?

If so, is this list acceptable?

Lucozade
    Water
    Energy Gels
    Fig Rolls
    Energy Bars

Anything else ?
    2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon
    2014 De Rosa R848
    Carrera TDF Ltd Commuter