What bike for my Dad ?

MattC59
MattC59 Posts: 5,408
edited August 2010 in Road buying advice
Hi All,

I'm looking for a bike for my Dad. He'a 65, reasonably fit and want's to do a bit of cycling.

He says he wants a bike he can go to the shops on and attach a rack and panier, but, at the same time he can use it to go for a spin around the local lanes, maybe 20 miles or so.

I think he'd prefer flat bars, but he'd be open to the right gear for the job. Two types of bike spring to mind, either a hybrid, or a touring bike, as he doesn't need anything too sporty.

Orr the top of my head, I think about £500 - £600 will be the budget.

I have road and mountain bikes, but I dont' have a great deal of knowledge of the types/makes of bike that may suit my Dad. Can anyone offer nay advice ?

Cheers......... Matt
Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved

Comments

• Pretre
    Pretre Posts: 355
    I've got a Specialized Sirrus hybrid which I use for commuting & can highly recommend - used to be my only bike a few years ago & did a fe 100km rides on it with no issues.
    Definitley not as fast as a proper road bike but perfectly good for the money.
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    Specalzed Sirrus is quite nice for the money, Giant (Rapid model) has some nice flatbars in that price range also. Should be able to get a Tortec rack and a couple of small pannier bags too for that money. Mudguards too.

Tyres, I'd go for 28s minimum for comfort if he doesnt do it often.

Edit: beaten to it on the Sirrus issue :lol:
  • timb64
    timb64 Posts: 248
    +1 to a Giant or Specialized flat bar hybrid with 28s.would also recommend factoring in the cost of better tyres ,Armadillo or simliar to avoid the agony of p!£$*ures!
    Hope your Dad enjoys his new pasttime!
  • huuregeil
    huuregeil Posts: 780
    You could also check out a Cotic Road Rat if you fancied building up a bike yourself.