Bike fits; how do they work?

furrag
furrag Posts: 481
edited August 2010 in Road beginners
How does a fitting work prior to buying a bike?

I've been invited to a fitting at a store which currently do not have the frame size of a Wilier Izoard I'm interested in purchasing. I thought the idea of a fit was to fine tune your set-up on the bike you are actually riding?

Comments

• anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    From what i gather, bike fits sometimes recommend bikes that will fit you. Not all bikes are the same, and there are some that will fit like a glove, whilst some won't fit you at all.

It'll also help fine tune your own bike.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    A fit in the first instance will help choose the right size frame. Then when that's sorted you fine tune it...
  • furrag
    Urgh. The said store is 60 miles away and only have the Izoard in medium, and I'm on the cusp between medium and large, which is why I want it pre-fitted. I understand that there's plenty of other places locally, but this store is £400 cheaper...
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    get it fitted, and if you are the large, make em get on in! :P
  • furrag
    They do free home delivery on built bikes. Does that mean I could have a bike fitting and at a later date they would build the bike up customised to my fitting, and courier it to my door?
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    Furrag wrote:
    Urgh. The said store is 60 miles away and only have the Izoard in medium, and I'm on the cusp between medium and large, which is why I want it pre-fitted. I understand that there's plenty of other places locally, but this store is £400 cheaper...

According to my calculations, driving 120 miles is cheaper than £400.

tard.jpg
  • I'll drive you there and back for £300. Deal?
    Giant Rapid 3
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    But check if the large would be the same price if ordered in.

The medium may only be £400 cheaper because it's priced to sell off existing stock. They may want more for a special order. Perfectly reasonable to do so imho but find out first to avoid disappointment.
    A bike fitting is still money well spent but make sure you have the facts.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,532
    a proper bike fit has several stages and includes a fair bit of time on a test bike mounted on a turbo, at the end you get a set of measurements you can use to select and set up whetever bikes you have in future

this video is from specialized, but it covers what happens in a typical fit...

http://cdn.specialized.com/bc/microsite ... bgfit.html

if you had your numbers from a bike fit, you could give them to the store and they could check if the bike can be set up to match
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny