pashley "royal mail" rear wheel

daubentonia
daubentonia Posts: 6
edited August 2010 in The workshop
hello the rear wheel of my paslhey "royal mail" is broken and im desesperatly trying to find the whole wheel because the mechanic told that trying to get into the tube is gonna be crazy and worths to find the whole wheel..but i cannot find it anywhere, well i mean second hand because at the moment i cannot afford a new one..any one nows anything about second hand pashley ?

thank u!!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the mechanic told that trying to get into the tube is gonna be crazy

err so what wrong with changing the tube?

or I guess it is a typo and you mean hub?

what hub is it? what rim?

Ebay or elsewhere might bring one up.

but i would maybe ask for a second opinion.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • hey man thanks for your reply !! well im quite lost about that kind of english technics words, yes i meant the "tube" that the pashley has in the back wheel..i think is the hub that ment.. well i dont know what kind of hub is it i didnt find any name or reference, jut in the brake "slam", is a royal mail pashley from the 80´s...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The wheel consists of three main parts
    The hub is the bit in the middle, it has th axle through the middle that is bolted into frame, then the bearings then the rotating part of the hub round the outside, on one side of that will be the drive gears and freewheel.
    There is the rim, the large round but the tyre mounts to.
    Between the two and attaching the two together are the spokes.

I presume you mean the hub is the issue, they normally strip down easily enough and at that age are almost certainly loose bearings that are individually replaced.

Worst case you get a new hub to the same dimensions and get it built into your rim with the old or new spokes, should cost you about £50-60.

Best case, strip hub, replace worn bits, rebuild, most shops would charge about £10.

Recogniseable English works well as well.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • yeah..is the hub definitely.. the man who sold me the bike told me that is very tricky to open the hub cause is made of loads of pieces, that he hasn´t, so changing the whole wheel is gonna be easier,was his suggestion..yes he told me around 50-60 but the thing is at the moment i havent found anything about that wheels.. thank u so much simon for your help
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Stripping the bearings and axle out of most hubs is dead easy....to replace either or both.

So what is the problem you actually have?

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    Stripping the bearings and axle out of most hubs is dead easy....to replace either or both.

So what is the problem you actually have?

Simon

[cough]Hub gears......[[/cough]
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Sturmey Archer 3-speed?
  • Pfff... is a 3 speed Torpedo?¿? make sense?? that is written in the gear box of the handlebar.. thanks !!
  • Some pictures might help.....
  • nicklouse
    bin it and see if you can find a ready built sram 3 speed wheel and gear change.

most of the old Sachs torpedo 3 hub will be in the same condition if they have not been maintained.

Also try another bike shop as they can be fixed but need some one who can, and not many places do internal gears.

a new hub is about £90.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    they're quite easy to repair, and the spares are fairly readily available.

Find a better bike shop, fixing it will be cheaper than a new wheel. IIRC the royal mail pashleys have an unusual size rear wheel.
  • [imghttp://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=77459&id=686571259&saved#!/photo.php?pid=5229908&id=686571259&ref=fbx_album[/img]

photo.php?pid=5229908&id=686571259&ref=fbx_album

photo.php?pid=5229910&id=686571259

well.. that is hilarious.. i was in a cycle shop.. a good one..the mechanic told that doesnt worth to spend money n that bike.. he wanted to charge almost 200 hundred pounds just for being all the day working with it, also he didnt promise me he was gonna be able to fix it ...200 hundred pounds for 8 hours of work..!! so he got me down about to try to fix it but i want that fucking bike back i really like that bike...