Specialized Hardrock Comp Newcastle - near monument.

Valy
Valy Posts: 1,321
edited September 2010 in MTB stolen
Today, not sure what time - between ~ 008:45-17:00 it was stolen from a bike rack near the monument about these coordinates 54.973172,-1.61257.

It was a 2010 model with Swalbe MP on the front and a Continental Travel COntact on the back. It had a Topeak rear rack and it had bar tape over the handle bars.

Rear wheel: Mavic XM317 wheel with an EEEEEEXXXXTEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!! (sadface) hub and a Deore 160MM disk.

It had black forks, instead of the stock read ones as they have been replaced.

Here the most recent pictures I took - without the rack though.

img2722g.jpg

img2723x.jpg

The pedals were flats though.

Insuring my bike has crossed my mind a few times - it was only about £30 for a YEAR according to a quote on Evans insurance. Never got around to it... :oops:

Comments

• Quirrel
    Quirrel Posts: 235
    I'll keep my eye out.
  • Valy
    Quirrel wrote:
    I'll keep my eye out.

Thanks!

£50 reward if I get it back!
  • Valy
    20thebear wrote:

Oooh, holy shoot - thanks a lot.

Will give this chap a call.
    SON OF A BITCH!

I just phoned the number in the ad and... it was sold.

The location on gumtree is around a "rough" area and the guy sounded like a cahv/radge/pikey.

Phoned the police mentioned it. The operator said that she will pass it on to the guy who I spoke to originally and he will gt back on monday.

This seems to be the place...
  • fingers crossed they are able to help.

Hope my Orange Five turns up as well.
  • Valy
    Oh, just hada look - I will keep an eye out! :D

Was it insured?
  • Quirrel
    Quirrel Posts: 235
    Check gumtree - been three hardrocks this last week, same looks dif colours, but some cheap.
  • bunch of scum. how come no one spots it near the monument, there must be cameras?
  • Valy
    chrishumes wrote:
    bunch of scum. how come no one spots it near the monument, there must be cameras?

The police man said that he looked at the cams from one ovrelooking shop and the other one did not have anything -be it a camera or any footage, I dono.

I sent the advert to the guy I spoke to in the first palce, had no reply about it in about a week or two.

There is not anything concrete to go by, but it could be a possibility to maybe ask the guy who he sold it to - might tell the truth to the police.
  • how are you going to find out who he sold it too?

shame you didnt get there before he sold it.
  • Valy
    chrishumes wrote:
    how are you going to find out who he sold it too?

shame you didnt get there before he sold it.

Have the police ask him. but that is a bit optimistic I guess. and indeed.
  • If he was the thief he's hardly going to be helpful knowing he could get nicked. Only way to deal with these guys is to pretend to be a punter or if it's too late try and find out where he lives and convince him to pass details of who he sold it to. If you told him it's your bike he's hardly gonna go ask you round to pick it up and have tea and biscuits.
  • Valy
    If he was the thief he's hardly going to be helpful knowing he could get nicked. Only way to deal with these guys is to pretend to be a punter or if it's too late try and find out where he lives and convince him to pass details of who he sold it to. If you told him it's your bike he's hardly gonna go ask you round to pick it up and have tea and biscuits.

Sure, but I eamn that the police could throw their weight around to get a buyer from him. I did not tell him it was my bike - I don't know myself. The advert just rose suspicious.
  • had my specialized hardrock pro stolen from a bike rack by some charver scumbag near monument last saturday (11th september), i'd spent an extra £300 or so on it too buying xt and raceface bits, hope the scumbag gets run over infront of a bus, reported it to the police and had a letter this week saying they have gone through the evidence and that there was'nt enough to find an offender. Just cracking on with building my own bike now, this ones getting insured and tagged etc. It seems unbelievable that with the amount of cctv in the area no one is getting caught
  • Valy
    Daaammmnn.

That is a SOB. How old was it?
  • It was'nt even a year old (2010 Model) bought it through the cycle to work scheme and had'nt even finished paying it off.
  • Valy
    Damn... that really is a SOB

As I said above, I had an almost new XT/XM317 rear wheel on mine... :/
  • that kinda sucks, the only saving grace i had was that i'd just forked out £130 on an xt crankset and that was about to be installed, fortunately i didn't get round to it and it was still in the box in the house, so yeah that woulda gone too. I guess the scum that took our bikes know what their looking for, kinda makes you think if i'd covered up the specialized name on my bike would they have ignored it
  • Valy
    that kinda sucks, the only saving grace i had was that i'd just forked out £130 on an xt crankset and that was about to be installed, fortunately i didn't get round to it and it was still in the box in the house, so yeah that woulda gone too. I guess the scum that took our bikes know what their looking for, kinda makes you think if i'd covered up the specialized name on my bike would they have ignored it

Probably not, it does have dem disk brakes like hewwww maaan.

At least you got the chainset, the XT lining for your could. :P
  • Hi guys, I had my Orange 5 nicked from Gosforth. Do you know what Northumbria Police do with bikes they find in raids? I don't want my bike to be sat in a pile somewhere because the fuzz can't be bothered to look through the records to see who has reported it stolen.
  • Valy
    Don't know. Might be better off phoning them to find out.

Do you think yours has been recovered?
  • doubt it
  • Valy
    20thebear wrote:
    doubt it

Just you asking "what to do in case of raid"...

Is there an address you are suspecting?