hydration for 4 hour + training ride, how do you do it?

citanest
citanest Posts: 11
I have been using 3 (800ml) bottles for 4 hour training ride (2 in cage and 1 in pocket). As my training ride gets longer, I need to bring more water. I train on country roads and there aren't any convenient stores etc... for refill.

What do you guys do?
saddle bottle holders?

thx

Comments

• phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,892
    I don't know what it's like in Britain but in Europe most cafes or bars are happy enough to refill your bottle with tap water. Would that be an option? You could always take a vial with some energy powder in to mix into the bottles.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I usually carry some Nuun and get my bottles (2 x 750ml) refilled with water at pubs. They usually refuse my money when I try to pay them for it too!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • 3 litre Camelbak plus bottles for the extra - that's what I use for a long ride.

Keith
  • owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    Pub, corner shop, newsagent, supermarket, cafe, farmhouse, carry enough with you. To be honest I've never really found it a problem to get refills.
  • Figure of eight? I've come back and used my garage like a mini food stop, had another bottle ready to go and picked up another bar/gel depending on the weather... Then headed out in the opposite direction, works well for me... Or even 2 laps of the same route?
    “Look where you want to go. Not where you are going”
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    +1 for laps.

Ok, so its not ideal, I sometimes do multiple laps of a 10mile curcuit, 7 being my record, before I became bored to tears, you just have to switch off and get on with it.

I am like the OP, live out in the country, where shops and pubs are few and far between, although I could plan a route that takes me past shops and stuff....
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    Sadel mounted holders?
    Or maybe just maybe you dont need more water - as its gets cooler you might find that 2½ ltres of water is enough for 1 or 2 hours more. Especially if you eat food to get your carbs instead of relying on sports drink as many do, adn make sure you're wel hydrated before you set off.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Here in the States I've always kept an eye out for churches, cemeterys, parks, and that kind of thing when I'm out riding on routes that are "middle of nowwhere". Usually can find water at one of these. Worse comes to worse you can always ask at a house along the route if you see someone outside. I've never been turned down doing that.
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    I did an 82 mile ride with around 4600ft ascent in today and just about managed it on 2x 750ml bottles, last 8 miles I was craving it tho, I don't want to carry a lock with me and I'm in fear of my bike being nabbed if I put it outside a shop whilst I go get some water.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    freehub wrote:
    I did an 82 mile ride with around 4600ft ascent in today and just about managed it on 2x 750ml bottles, last 8 miles I was craving it tho, I don't want to carry a lock with me and I'm in fear of my bike being nabbed if I put it outside a shop whilst I go get some water.

You're kidding, right? You didn't get water because someone MIGHT steal your bike? :roll: :roll: :roll:
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    2 bottles, one with energy/electolyte, one with squash, couple of bananas and tow gels as reserve.
  • billy.
    billy. Posts: 29
    freehub wrote:
    I'm in fear of my bike being nabbed if I put it outside a shop whilst I go get some water.

take it in the shop with ya, i'm yet too meet a shop owner that has said "you cant bring that in here".
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    I think you use more fluids than me

If it isn't hot then I do 1 x 1 litre bottle per 100km or 4.5 hours

If it is hot then I could easily drink triple that amount

Unless you are in the wilds of Scotland I can't believe that there is nowhere to get more water.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    vorsprung wrote:
    Unless you are in the wilds of Scotland I can't believe that there is nowhere to get more water.
    Err, lack of water is not usually a problem round here...
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    dennisn wrote:
    freehub wrote:

You're kidding, right? You didn't get water because someone MIGHT steal your bike? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Yea, this isn't the USA, we have thieves in this country, you get people in some places in this country that would nick a bike if it was unsupervised, and people don't like to have their bikes out of sight if they don't lock it up.
    billy. wrote:
    freehub wrote:
    I'm in fear of my bike being nabbed if I put it outside a shop whilst I go get some water.

take it in the shop with ya, i'm yet too meet a shop owner that has said "you cant bring that in here".

Really? I don't think people round here would want me brining a bike into their shop, besides most shops are really small round here.
  • freehub wrote:

Really? I don't think people round here would want me brining a bike into their shop, besides most shops are really small round here.

As long as you're paying I don't see the issue.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Hibbs
    Hibbs Posts: 291
    owenlars wrote:
    Pub, corner shop, newsagent, supermarket, cafe, farmhouse, carry enough with you. To be honest I've never really found it a problem to get refills.

I'm too worried about my bike being nicked while I'm getting water to do that. Instead I put on a seatpin mounted bottle cage holder for long rides (the ones triantelopes use so they can be more aero) so I can load up to 4 bottles on the bike.

Just have to remember the bottles are there before swinging your leg over to dismount. :oops: